Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:51:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox: Still Relevant  (Read 5250 times)
magicmexican

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 11:34:14 PM

If a day comes when i will get my precious GoxCoins it will be like x-mas.
How many coins did you lose?

Around 10 or so, nothing too huge, but getting even a fraction one day would be nice indeed.
freedombit (OP)

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 05:53:56 AM

Recent statements by Roger Ver seem to imply that the lawyers and others have more to gain by prolonging the problem, hence, it will be settled when there's no more funds to bill fees against.

Ver is right about the incentive to prolong.
freedombit (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 05:55:24 AM

Currently the largest wallet contains 144K coins, but a while ago there was a wallet with 350K coins in it.

Any idea from who that wallet was? An exchange or something? Or perhaps a large chunk of the MtGox coins?

Interesting. Can you reference the wallets?
freedombit (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 05:58:04 AM

The great thing about bitcoins is this, Did they supply the blockchain transactions of such claims. they can lie all they want, but the blockchain and proof of these overpaid transactions will always tell the truth.

To prove that they overpaid because of transaction malleability the information on the blockchain by itself is insufficient. They would need to show their database transaction logs as well, and how the hell would you do that and guarantee that these have not been tampered with?

Blockchain data would be enough to follow the coins. It was 5% of the entire Bitcoin economy. All it takes is one slip. The fungibility of bitcoin is important, and we should do nothing to hamper that. However, I don't see an issue with following the coins.
freedombit (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 06:00:26 AM

If 650,00 to 850,000 Bitcoin were actually stolen or seized, more than 5% of the entire Bitcoin economy resides in the hands of a small group of thieves. And thieves they are, whether they are hackers, exchange employees, banksters or government/court officials.

The official story by Gox is that they lost the 650k bitcoin over a long period of time to many of their customers. The customers may have not intended to receive more then what they were owed but likely did not do anything to rectify the situation when they were overpaid.

Also it is likely that much of the bitcoin was lost prior to bitcoin being worth anywhere near what it is worth now so the fiat value of the losses at the time of the loss is likely small

Source? Last time I checked the official story was here:
https://www.mtgox.com/

Unfortunately the official story seems to change.
_biO_

Activity: 174
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 12:18:38 PM

The great thing about bitcoins is this, Did they supply the blockchain transactions of such claims. they can lie all they want, but the blockchain and proof of these overpaid transactions will always tell the truth.

To prove that they overpaid because of transaction malleability the information on the blockchain by itself is insufficient. They would need to show their database transaction logs as well, and how the hell would you do that and guarantee that these have not been tampered with?

Blockchain data would be enough to follow the coins. It was 5% of the entire Bitcoin economy. All it takes is one slip. The fungibility of bitcoin is important, and we should do nothing to hamper that. However, I don't see an issue with following the coins.

Maybe they didn't move all that much.

This signature refers to itself.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 12:22:23 PM

Okay, quick example...

Blockchain says three amounts went out of gox on certain date...

4.93852 BTC
9.8512 BTC
1.0002124 BTC

Right then, who got more than they should have?

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 06:47:01 PM

Mark owns two cats now.

Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 07:21:26 PM

What, he discovered that the original one which he kept asking for technical advice was hugely trolling him?

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
anshar

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 08:33:07 PM

I dont get why Kraken would want to get involved in this giant mess of an exchange..
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 08:39:17 PM

Kraken hunts MtGox lost coins....

Billbags

Activity: 280

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 10:02:34 PM

I never dealt with them due to their practice of centralizing your coins while holding them. It looked too much like a bank to me. But I do feel for the people who lost so much with them.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 01:13:57 PM

Okay, quick example...

4.93852 BTC
9.8512 BTC
1.0002124 BTC

None of them. You would want to look for transactions when there are two exact amounts that are both confirmed in nearly the same block, and are both sent to the same address. Once you filter out all the other transactions what you have left is likely going to be what gox lost
freedombit (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 08:44:59 AM

Okay, quick example...

4.93852 BTC
9.8512 BTC
1.0002124 BTC

This is very simple math and not complicated by any means. A lot of calculations? Yes? Difficult? No. Just tie each Blockchain address with Goxxed "Temporarily Unavailable" Bitcoin value in it back to preceding transactions, both in the Blockchain and in the off-chain trading logs. The real question is, "Why doesn't the administrator share the addresses containing the missing Bitcoin value?"

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 08:18:21 PM

Okay, quick example...

4.93852 BTC
9.8512 BTC
1.0002124 BTC

We just have to assume that the court appointed process of liquidation is fair, and that nobody got more than what they should have. Smiley
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 08:19:38 PM

nice, thanks!

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 02:58:47 AM

We just have to assume that the court appointed process of liquidation is fair, and that nobody got more than what they should have. Smiley

Nonsense. We _know_ the lawyers got more than their fair share.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2014, 03:30:00 PM

More drama at Mt. Gox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRmgQH0TbJ4

Shocked

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print