Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:39:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember when Nefario got sent back to UK because nobody knew what bitcoin was?  (Read 1541 times)
SSSSwinner (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 11:23:10 AM

Having a bit of nostalgia right now and I thought those who have been around this long would appreciate it Smiley

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/bitcoin-befuddles-customs-agents-thwarting-seattle-visit-digital-currency-guru/
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 07:13:46 AM

I vaguely remember this, right around the time I was just discovering crypto. Cool story but not sure it belongs in securities. I would move it to general discussion Smiley
Benny1985

Activity: 391
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 07:26:21 PM

I like this quote in the comments:

"It's not meant to be rude.  Bitcoin isn't the next great tech innovation, like Google+.  Some of the main uses are for money laundering and buying drugs over onion networks.  He should just be a bit careful before expressing his desire to "join a movement".
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:21:34 AM

I like this quote in the comments:

"It's not meant to be rude.  Bitcoin isn't the next great tech innovation, like Google+.  Some of the main uses are for money laundering and buying drugs over onion networks.  He should just be a bit careful before expressing his desire to "join a movement".

Well, aren't these the main uses for fiat? even though the little, average, everyday people may not be involved voluntarily?

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:05:36 PM

Huh thanks for sharing, gonna google more of him and that past event.
It's before my time in crytpo as well.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:12:53 PM

Oh yea, that was sad. If I remember correctly, his visa required that he have some amount of money when he arrives. He did have the money, but since it was bitcoin and the agent there had never heard of them... He was sent home. What a bummer to have to get back on a plane for another trans-pacific flight.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:23:00 PM

Border agents... abusing their unlimited power.. oooh I just LOVE giving people unlimited power with zero consequences for their actions.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:45:37 PM

i think it had more to do with the fact that he went on a visitors visa (meaning he had to prove he could fund his stay) and not a works visa. and then when he talked about him having meetings they through him out as thats business, not personal...

but because he wanted to hype up bitcoin he spun the story into a long winded thing that was all about bitcoin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 04:41:20 AM

it's just rocky path that bitcoin went through and some might say still is....but the bad patch is almost over for bitcoin. pretty soon we can buy land on the moon for BTC.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 05:27:35 AM

It would have been better for all concerned if they had just locked up James McCarthy and thrown away the key instead of putting him on a return flight. He did most of his damage after that flight.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:15:50 PM

Long live GLBSE!
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 10:02:20 PM

It would have been better for all concerned if they had just locked up James McCarthy and thrown away the key instead of putting him on a return flight. He did most of his damage after that flight.

I may have the chronology wrong, but at that point, I don't think he had done anything wrong.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 11:22:04 PM

I may have the chronology wrong, but at that point, I don't think he had done anything wrong.

Right, read the last sentence of my post again. You just read too fast. lol

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 03:15:56 AM

Right, read the last sentence of my post again. You just read too fast. lol

I guess my point is that society should not be locking people in cages because they might otherwise commit a crime. Yes, it would have saved a lot of people a lot of pain (indeed, I lost a considerable sum in the GLBSE meltdown as well). But in my mind, it is immoral to preemptively restrain people for a supposed future crime.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: