Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:03:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Automotive: Technical Questions, Factory OEM Parts & Technical Information  (Read 2056 times)
elgreco (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 11:47:40 PM

Hello everyone. Consider this an experiment to see if I can use my skills, experience, and resources to make a few extra BTC.  Grin

I am a lifelong automotive technician who specializes in the computer controlled systems in late model vehicles. If anyone is interested in any parts, wiring diagrams, component locations or breakdowns, I’m here to help. Just let me know your vehicle’s year/make/model/engine size and what you’re looking for, and I’ll let you know what I can do.

If anyone has any technical questions, feel free to ask.  I have limited experience with European vehicles, but if you have an American or Asian vehicle and have a question regarding factory computer control systems, factory accessories, trouble lights, drivability concerns, or if you think you may be getting screwed by your local mechanic or would like a deeper explanation than they are able to give, I'm your man.

Any OEM parts purchase will carry the full warranty that the dealership provides to me (generally 1 year). I can also find used parts as well. Unfortunately, since I don’t want my parts to be used as diagnostic tools, there will be no refunds, only exchanges under warranty.

Thanks!

1E1GrECoNP1RpvWe72kS5cDZozA47nUFs4

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:40:24 AM

Do you have access to Toyota TIS and the Techstream software? I've been wondering about obtaining a Mangoose programmer and flashing my car with a different throttle curve, but can't seem to get access to TIS without paying a bucketload of money.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
elgreco (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:53:06 AM

Sure, I can get you Techstream. But its not going to do what you want it to. Techstream is factory diagnostic software and will not allow you to flash anything custom with it. I am not really involved in the aftermarket tuning scene, but I know there are solutions out there using the mongoose cable you mentioned. Sorry I can't help you with your tune, but I can still hook you up with Techstream when you're ready.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 02:07:39 AM

Sure, I can get you Techstream. But its not going to do what you want it to. Techstream is factory diagnostic software and will not allow you to flash anything custom with it. I am not really involved in the aftermarket tuning scene, but I know there are solutions out there using the mongoose cable you mentioned. Sorry I can't help you with your tune, but I can still hook you up with Techstream when you're ready.
I thought using Techstream required a TIS login... and from what I heard there were curves available for download from TIS. But perhaps I was victim of faulty information. Could you explain what kind of stuff is available and what can be done with that software?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
elgreco (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 02:37:23 AM

In the spirit of full disclosure, I've never used TIS for any kind of programming. Techstream works as a standalone program for diagnosis. There are cracks out there to bypass the TIS authentication for it, but iirc, you are allowed 20 sessions without ever having to authenticate. Techstream will allow you to interface with every module on the network, scan for codes, view data streams, perform bidirectional controls for diagnostic purposes, perform initial setup calibrations, and various other things.

What you can not do is make individual tweaks that will stick. They do that for liability reasons, at minimum they don't want technicians to have the power to bypass safeties they have in place. Now, as far as Toyota themselves providing additional custom calibrations, being that I've never actually used TIS, it's possible that there are additional curves available, but its not passing the smell test for me. I have full factory programming capabilities for all the American makes and Honda and none of them have any kind of custom flashes other than those prescribed by Technical Service Bulletins to resolve specific problems. It doesn't make sense to me that Toyota would provide that to their dealerships. They really have nothing to gain from it and risk complicating matters for their customers and their service techs. As a general rule, if you want tweaks, you go to the aftermarket.

Now that you have me thinking, and this is pure speculation, it's possible that there are aftermarket calibrations out there that use Techstream as the medium to deliver their unauthorized payload. It wouldn't be that bad of an idea since they would just be piggybacking on the established Toyota infrastructure.

lolwut
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 02:53:46 AM

do you have/can you get a factory navigation for 2009 for flex?
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 03:03:30 AM

Good info, thanks.

elgreco (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 03:29:07 AM

I'm assuming you're asking because you don't have it already. I'll have to check some diagrams tomorrow at work, but I can pretty much guarantee that it's not plug and play and probably not worth the hassle. I'll let you know more tomorrow.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 03:31:28 AM

That reminds me, I know some models of my car come with factory remote start, but when I asked the dealer if they could retrofit it they said they could only add on a third-party aftermarket remote start. Are they full of BS or is it actually not possible to add the factory remote start of the vehicle wasn't ordered with it?

Lexus GS350 from 2007.

lolwut
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 03:32:11 AM

I'm assuming you're asking because you don't have it already. I'll have to check some diagrams tomorrow at work, but I can pretty much guarantee that it's not plug and play and probably not worth the hassle. I'll let you know more tomorrow.

thanks
elgreco (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 03:50:07 AM

That reminds me, I know some models of my car come with factory remote start, but when I asked the dealer if they could retrofit it they said they could only add on a third-party aftermarket remote start. Are they full of BS or is it actually not possible to add the factory remote start of the vehicle wasn't ordered with it?

Lexus GS350 from 2007.

I'm going to have to answer that tomorrow as well. When you deal with hundreds of year/make/model combinations, it's hard to remember which systems each particular car uses without the help of diagrams.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 05:01:42 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2012, 05:51:10 AM by mc_lovin

I might need some info from you!  I just bought this truck last week!  

http://imgur.com/a/Jx2lu   <-- pics I took with the original (hippie) owner as I was buying it
http://imgur.com/a/lPsws   <-- pics she took when she offered it to me

It's a 1982 Grumman Olson Kurbmaster (GMC P30[?], Chevy 350v8 propane fuel), I've been doing a lot of research and apparently I can get any parts I need from stepvanparts.com, which I'll be making my first order this week: replacing EVERY light with LEDs!!  The thing runs and drives perfectly fine, after sitting for 5 years we were able to turn the key and drive it 2.5 hours home to where I live.  I am absolutely in LOVE with my Grumman!!!  It is going to be the center of attention sometime in the near future, It's going to be bitcoin-powered by the time I get finished with it!

If I could get a Kurbmaster service manual I would pay a premium for it, I've looked around and they are tough to find if not impossible.  It's basically an RV chassis, so replacing parts isn't exactly complicated, but there is a lot of things I am clueless about.  There is a spot to put a gas tank, it was never installed at the factory but one would bolt right in, and I heard that I can have a switch and then toggle between gas and propane as I drive.  How I would achieve this, I'm not sure, I'm a computer-guy, I know how to keep a vehicle running but I'm not a mechanic.

I'm not sure what to ask right now except maybe when I'm getting down 'n dirty doing the overhaul I might need a tech I can prod for answers.  Oh, here's one: the truck right now has a 3-speed manual transmission.  I love driving stick, but this thing isn't fun to drive lol.  It has gears L-1-2-3-R, sort of makes it a 4-speed but the L gear is basically useless, you can only do like 1 mph and I guess it's for hauling stuff, or getting the truck rolling, it's pretty useless for regular driving.  I would love to slap a new trans in there, I was thinking a 700R4 4-speed automatic would be excellent for cruising, plus the overdrive gear would give me much better milage, since the current trans only lets me get up to about 80 kph / 50 mph.  I know the 350 will love having a new transmission mounted to it, but will the new transmission be strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle?  

Also, since when I hit any bump, this thing makes so much noise in the back, I think if I were to upgrade the suspension to air-ride it would be a nice cushy ride.  Do you think I could get a good air-ride system installed for ~$2000?  
elgreco (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:59:25 PM

I looked at some diagrams. It appears your Flex could have come with 1 of 4 different audio systems. Depending on which one yours came with, it may be possible. Is it the Sync system? THX? Premium?

elgreco (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:01:06 PM

Lexus GS350 from 2007.

I can't find any kind of remote start system for the 2007 model year Sad. As far as the diagrams are concerned, the hardware is fully capable of supporting a remote start system from the factory, I guess they just didn't include it that year.

elgreco (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:16:22 PM

I might need some info from you!  I just bought this truck last week!  

http://imgur.com/a/Jx2lu   <-- pics I took with the original (hippie) owner as I was buying it
http://imgur.com/a/lPsws   <-- pics she took when she offered it to me

It's a 1982 Grumman Olson Kurbmaster (GMC P30[?], Chevy 350v8 propane fuel), I've been doing a lot of research and apparently I can get any parts I need from stepvanparts.com, which I'll be making my first order this week: replacing EVERY light with LEDs!!  The thing runs and drives perfectly fine, after sitting for 5 years we were able to turn the key and drive it 2.5 hours home to where I live.  I am absolutely in LOVE with my Grumman!!!  It is going to be the center of attention sometime in the near future, It's going to be bitcoin-powered by the time I get finished with it!

If I could get a Kurbmaster service manual I would pay a premium for it, I've looked around and they are tough to find if not impossible.  It's basically an RV chassis, so replacing parts isn't exactly complicated, but there is a lot of things I am clueless about.  There is a spot to put a gas tank, it was never installed at the factory but one would bolt right in, and I heard that I can have a switch and then toggle between gas and propane as I drive.  How I would achieve this, I'm not sure, I'm a computer-guy, I know how to keep a vehicle running but I'm not a mechanic.

I'm not sure what to ask right now except maybe when I'm getting down 'n dirty doing the overhaul I might need a tech I can prod for answers.  Oh, here's one: the truck right now has a 3-speed manual transmission.  I love driving stick, but this thing isn't fun to drive lol.  It has gears L-1-2-3-R, sort of makes it a 4-speed but the L gear is basically useless, you can only do like 1 mph and I guess it's for hauling stuff, or getting the truck rolling, it's pretty useless for regular driving.  I would love to slap a new trans in there, I was thinking a 700R4 4-speed automatic would be excellent for cruising, plus the overdrive gear would give me much better milage, since the current trans only lets me get up to about 80 kph / 50 mph.  I know the 350 will love having a new transmission mounted to it, but will the new transmission be strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle?  

Also, since when I hit any bump, this thing makes so much noise in the back, I think if I were to upgrade the suspension to air-ride it would be a nice cushy ride.  Do you think I could get a good air-ride system installed for ~$2000?  

Haha. Your enthusiasm for your Grumman is oozing off the screen Smiley.

Because of how old it is, I'm not going to be much help, but here is what I do know. You are right, the engine would love a 700R4. As far as whether or not it can handle the weight, absolutely. It should do it without any modifications except an external cooler. After the install, you will need to install a system to control the electronic torque converter. They usually have kits for that kind of system consisting of a vacuum switch and a new brake light switch, and I can talk you through that when you're ready.

Re: Service manual, I don't have access to one. But surprisingly, my information database does have diagrams and other technical info for the 1983 model year. I could compile a PDF for you if you'd like.

Re: Gas conversion. I'm going to stay out of that one. I've never touched a carb in my life Smiley

Re: Suspension. I'm staying out of that one too. I'm an electronics guy, and I know what I don't know, and I don't know suspension options Smiley.

Feel free to come back and post any questions you have along the way.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:22:52 PM

I can't find any kind of remote start system for the 2007 model year Sad. As far as the diagrams are concerned, the hardware is fully capable of supporting a remote start system from the factory, I guess they just didn't include it that year.
Ah well, thanks anyway. I wonder if a newer one would work such as the module from a 2008 or 09 dropped in, but at this point I may not be keeping it for too much longer anyway so no point dropping cash on it.

mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 04:52:39 PM

Haha. Your enthusiasm for your Grumman is oozing off the screen Smiley.

Because of how old it is, I'm not going to be much help, but here is what I do know. You are right, the engine would love a 700R4. As far as whether or not it can handle the weight, absolutely. It should do it without any modifications except an external cooler. After the install, you will need to install a system to control the electronic torque converter. They usually have kits for that kind of system consisting of a vacuum switch and a new brake light switch, and I can talk you through that when you're ready.

Re: Service manual, I don't have access to one. But surprisingly, my information database does have diagrams and other technical info for the 1983 model year. I could compile a PDF for you if you'd like.

Re: Gas conversion. I'm going to stay out of that one. I've never touched a carb in my life Smiley

Re: Suspension. I'm staying out of that one too. I'm an electronics guy, and I know what I don't know, and I don't know suspension options Smiley.

Feel free to come back and post any questions you have along the way.
Definitely enthused about the kurbmaster, I'm more excited than there are words to describe it.

Re: that PDF, I'd absolutely love it!  And with your advice, I will pick up the 700R4! 

Sent you a tip!  Cheesy
lolwut
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 07:46:54 PM

I looked at some diagrams. It appears your Flex could have come with 1 of 4 different audio systems. Depending on which one yours came with, it may be possible. Is it the Sync system? THX? Premium?

it has the sony system in it. factory radio with no nav right now. it has sync.

I'd be looking for the actual factory navigation and all of the corresponding plastics. Unless you buy the flex with the nav, theres no way to get an aftermarket one. I was told the only way to go is OEM or use a stupid scoche dash kit where the navigation is at the bottom of the console.
elgreco (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 12:35:17 PM

Lolwut, unfortunately, I think I'm going to stay out of this one.

After looking at the diagrams, it really looks like the wiring harnesses are the same and that the Navigation System is compatible with the existing components that are in your vehicle. The problem is that I have no way to prove it. Ford doesn't provide cross reference compatibility charts or anything. I also don't have any deep personal experience with Edge's because of how new they are. The only time guys like me get to see vehicles is after they have gone out of factory warranty.

That being said, I get a very healthy discount at Ford and can order whatever you want.  If you come across any info on your own and want me to look up parts, I can do that for you. But I'd hate to be the one that assists you getting into a mess you may not ever be able to get out of. Experience tells me that even though everything plugs in, you may still have a long road ahead of you getting the modules to communicate and acknowledge each other.

Sorry for the news. Let me know if I can do anything for you in the future.

mc_lovin
Legendary

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 06:34:06 AM

^ bump!!

I LOVED the PDFs you made for me, dude, you're my hero.  I'm so sorry about my lack of communication!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: