Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:21:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best places to regularly buy Altcoins & BTC, while avoiding exchanges  (Read 1276 times)
BladerunnerB26354 (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 01:00:57 PM

Hi All,

I find the various private key solutions interesting, but is there not always a security point of weakness when you buy or sell Crypto currencies - in that where you buy and sell them from/to, receives your private key?

Or have I misunderstood this? (Quite likely!)

With this in mind, what are the best solutions for buying Cryptos once a month, while avoiding exchanges - which after Mt Gox, I view with suspicion?

Many thanks Smiley
dasource

Activity: 821
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 01:11:35 PM

The guys over at XCash are releasing a OTC buy/sell platform which I hear is in final testing which will include a IRC addon. This will allow you to trade crypto with other people whilst retaining control at all times. Interesting concept post mtgox/mintpal/etc fiascos.

^ I am with STUPID!
Miracal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 01:21:48 PM

I think you misunderstand many things. You send you coins to the exchange address and trade them. The exchanges keep your coins and won't give you the private key of the address. So it is a bit riskier to transfer fund to exchange. You can go to localbitcoin.com to trade bitcoin in person.
BootstrapCoinDev

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 10:36:44 PM

Try to explore Bitsquare. It's such a hint on decentralized exchange? which is trying to be quite arbitrator-mechanism agnostic, so that the user can choose which kinds of arbitration he's happy to go with. This is kind of built into the software, from what I've seen of the early prototypes. Also, if you don't mind getting into the nitty gritty there is some detailed discussion of the arbitration system at http://bitsquare.io/arbitration_system.pdf
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:06:33 AM

you sign the transaction with your key. Every adress has a privatekey. So you don't pass keys to others normally.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 05:03:23 AM
Last edit: December 10, 2014, 04:18:10 AM by twister

If you're looking to buy altcoins using bitcoins instantly, take a look at bitin.io. As for bitcoins, I think exchanging in cash in person is the only way avoiding the exchange, or you can use this forum, people buy/sell here all the time but then again you're going to have to put your trust in an escrow.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 08:33:15 AM

BTC through localbitcoins, altcoins through shapeshift.io (some premium involved). Personally, there are plenty of altcoin exchanges for you to trade your BTC without needing to verify your identity.
meadefreling

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:53:42 AM

What you are looking for can only be found by using tor network, there is a service there that involves multi signature, even the rpg and the likes.

BladerunnerB26354 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 07:43:53 AM

Thanks guys, so all things being equal, the most secure way would be in person, by cash through Localbitcoins, and Shapeshift?

I'm looking to now buy into the 10 biggest Cryptos by market size, and to save them for 5 years minimum, so once I've bought them, I wouldn't be spending them for a relatively long time.

As per my other thread on wallet services, my understanding now, for 'cold storage' is to simply have physical Private Keys for each address, and after the initial purchase, keep the whole thing offline. Could you guys offer any advice on that?

Another thing is the malware out there for Cryptos - keystroke recognition malware on my own system, what are your views on using a Mac (iPad) if I were to make purchases electronically? I'm aware that Macs have still had Crypto Malware, but overall, my perception is they're safer than PCs.

Thanks again Smiley
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 08:55:08 AM

As you're going to be buying into NXT anyway, you can use the NXT-based MultiGateWay system (which is also incorporated into SuperNET) to buy and sell BTC, NXT and a handful of other alts. MGW is decentralised (almost  Wink) and doesn't require any form of ID/KYC/AML at all. It can be fiddly to set up, but NXt'ers are a fairly helpful community if you do need some assistance.

Check out:
http://multigateway.org/
https://nxtforum.org/nxtservices-releases/

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
BladerunnerB26354 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 05:48:31 PM

As you're going to be buying into NXT anyway, you can use the NXT-based MultiGateWay system (which is also incorporated into SuperNET) to buy and sell BTC, NXT and a handful of other alts. MGW is decentralised (almost  Wink) and doesn't require any form of ID/KYC/AML at all. It can be fiddly to set up, but NXt'ers are a fairly helpful community if you do need some assistance.

Check out:
http://multigateway.org/
https://nxtforum.org/nxtservices-releases/

Fantastic EvilDave, thanks !

How would you rate MGW against ShapeShift?

So far, places to buy BTC and Altcoins most securely are:

BTC through localbitcoins = I

Altcoins through shapeshift = II

Altcoins through MGW = I

What do other members think?

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 03:23:09 AM

With this in mind, what are the best solutions for buying Cryptos once a month, while avoiding exchanges - which after Mt Gox, I view with suspicion?

I like the Coinbase instant buy service. It's fast, safe, and reliable!

Then I generally send my coins over to Blockchain.info for safe keeping. Tongue
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 09:56:56 AM

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/gentleman-hacker-returns-stolen-bitcoins-blockchain-info/

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
BladerunnerB26354 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 11:21:11 AM

Thanks guys !

Excellent stuff re the gentleman hackers, just what the ecosystem needs Smiley

So far then:

BTC through localbitcoins = I