Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:26:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use flash with Tor? (.5 BTC bounty upon success) [SOLVED]  (Read 55461 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 06:02:19 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2012, 08:58:24 PM by the joint

So, I can't seem to get flash to work on Tor.  The little message came up saying "additional plug-ins are required to view this content" or something like that, so I clicked the "install" button and downloaded flash through Tor.

Still, nothing.  Do I need to copy some flash stuff to a Tor folder or something?  Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:  Provide me a step-by-step tutorial, and talk to me like I'm 5.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 06:19:31 AM

Flash does not always respect in-browser proxy settings, and after all it's closed technology. The way to do it is set up a virtual machine and route all it's traffic through tor.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 06:20:45 AM

Flash does not always respect in-browser proxy settings, and after all it's closed technology. The way to do it is set up a virtual machine and route all it's traffic through tor.

I'm not anywhere close to a hacker.  In layman's terms, please? 
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 06:28:01 AM

Basically you need a firewall intercepting all traffic and pushing it all via  tor proxy.

-
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 06:32:51 AM

*face palm*

Ok, step by step walk-through please?

I'm using Windows XP.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 06:42:29 AM

Bounty available.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 06:43:14 AM

Basically you need a firewall intercepting all traffic and pushing it all via  tor proxy.
Will pay someone a bitcoin if they give a working solution for me to do this.

In short, I'd like to setup one of my BAMT mining rigs as a TOR proxy that I can connect to with my other computer via Internet Explorer. So I can still browse, and use my internet while playing games and browsing. But if I wanted to, use Internet Explorer to connect to my BAMT rig to provide a new IP (proxy) while browsing. Can this be down without having to setup the mining computer between myself and the router?

Will pay 1 BTC for the person that gives me a working solution.

EDIT: Actually, never mind. This wouldn't provide safe anonymity.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 07:12:36 AM

That answer is not helpful.  I'm not concerned about total anonymity.  Just pseudo-anonymity.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 08:18:46 AM

Have you seen this thread? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78041.0

If flash is turned off by default, i suppose you would just have to figure out how to turn it back on?
Correct, Tor Browser Bundle, TorK, and probably every other Tor-ready browser package disables addons and plugins in all browsers they support for exactly this reason.

If you're using Firefox, go into Tools -> Addons (or enter about:addons in the address bar), then under Plugins, find Flash and click Enable. For most sites that use Flash you will also need to enable Javascript under Preferences -> Content. Problem solved. New problem created: your browser is no longer anonymous, since Flash and Javascript can create network connections which bypass Tor, revealing your IP address. You're not "psuedo-anonymous", you're as non-anonymous as if you were not using Tor at all.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 09:04:58 AM

If flash is turned off by default, i suppose you would just have to figure out how to turn it back on?
Correct, Tor Browser Bundle, TorK, and probably every other Tor-ready browser package disables addons and plugins in all browsers they support for exactly this reason.

If you're using Firefox, go into Tools -> Addons (or enter about:addons in the address bar), then under Plugins, find Flash and click Enable. For most sites that use Flash you will also need to enable Javascript under Preferences -> Content. Problem solved. New problem created: your browser is no longer anonymous, since Flash and Javascript can create network connections which bypass Tor, revealing your IP address. You're not "psuedo-anonymous", you're as non-anonymous as if you were not using Tor at all.

I'm using Vidalia Tor Bundle.

Basically, I simply want to bypass websites in which a particular IP (mine) has been restricted.  Now, Tor does that no problem, but there are flash features on some of these sites that I want to use.  I'm not really concerned if someone figures out who I am.  It's not a legal issue.
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 09:20:55 AM

Basically, I simply want to bypass websites in which a particular IP (mine) has been restricted.  Now, Tor does that no problem, but there are flash features on some of these sites that I want to use.  I'm not really concerned if someone figures out who I am.  It's not a legal issue.

Vidalia uses Firefox for anonymous web browsing. You should be able to enable Flash and Javascript using the above instructions. Just don't forget to disable them again when you really do need to be anonymous!

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 09:35:04 AM

Basically, I simply want to bypass websites in which a particular IP (mine) has been restricted.  Now, Tor does that no problem, but there are flash features on some of these sites that I want to use.  I'm not really concerned if someone figures out who I am.  It's not a legal issue.

Vidalia uses Firefox for anonymous web browsing. You should be able to enable Flash and Javascript using the above instructions. Just don't forget to disable them again when you really do need to be anonymous!

Actually, this is one of the first things I tried.  However, when I click "plugins" it says "you don't have any add-ons of this type installed."  And, when I try to search for "Shockwave" or "Flash,"  it doesn't appear.  I've already enabled Javascript and Flash and pretty much disabled anything that would block it under the preference tabs, but Flash doesn't appear in my plugins list.

Edit:  I also tried copying/pasting flashplayer.xpt and NPSWF32.dll directly into my plugins folder under torbrowser/firefoxportable/data/plugins and that didn't work.
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 10:14:20 AM

Edit:  I also tried copying/pasting flashplayer.xpt and NPSWF32.dll directly into my plugins folder under torbrowser/firefoxportable/data/plugins and that didn't work.

Damn, I was just about to suggest this! Do you also have NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe in your C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\ folder? If so, you'll need that to copy that into your plugins folder as well.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 10:50:35 AM

Damn, I was just about to suggest this! Do you also have NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe in your C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\ folder? If so, you'll need that to copy that into your plugins folder as well.

Actually, it wasn't there.  But, I downloaded it and copied/pasted it to both folders,and it still didn't work.  Then, I just tried copying/pasting EVERYTHING in the \Macromed\Flash folder to the plugins folder, and still no luck. 

Oh well, I'm headed to bed for the night (morning?).  Thanks for the suggestions Smiley  I'll give it another go some other time, but I literally spent several hours trying everything I could think of that doesn't require me paying for a VPN.
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 11:42:47 AM

Yeah, Firefox Portable can be a pain like that. Hmm. Why don't you just configure your regular browser to connect through Tor? Just tell it to use a proxy at 127.0.0.1 on port 9050. eg, in Firefox, go into Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings then select Manual proxy configuration -> HTTP Proxy: 127.0.0.1 Port: 9050 and select "Use this proxy server for all protocols". Verify that this proxy setting works by trying to access a .onion domain (or the fact that you can now access sites which were blocking your IP address). Don't forget to change your proxy settings back when you're done (unless you enjoy slow connections and exit nodes spying on you).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Vidalia has to be running when you do this (since it's the proxy server that you're connecting to).

ssbtoday

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 02:26:55 PM
Last edit: June 13, 2012, 03:04:45 PM by ssbtoday

With Vidalia:
  • Navigate to about:config
  • Set "plugin.scan.plid.all" to true.
  • Right Click Tor Button.
    • Preferences -> Security Settings -> Uncheck "Disable Plugins during Tor usage"
  • Right Click NoScript.
    • Embeddings -> Forbid Adobe Flash
  • Restart. Voila! (This will use the local version of flash available.)

Without Vidalia:
ssbtoday

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 03:05:07 PM

A pictogram should be useful. Smiley
https://i.imgur.com/OjNuV.png
(Url because the image is friggin huge)
(Url in image: https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en)

If this solves the issue, feel free to distribute the bitcoins as you see fit.

Not to sure that pictogram solves the problem? The OP already has it installed..

Updated it, new method available.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 08:58:04 PM

And the winner is....ssbtoday Smiley

ssbtoday, please post your BTC address and you will receive .5 BTC

Foxpup, thanks for your help anyway!!
ssbtoday

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 10:46:34 AM

It's in my signature dude. XD
Code:
1F8anjANtdg7dodGJoSXes8cQdTySRLPx5
ssbtoday

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 11:24:15 AM

Thank you for your business mate. Smiley
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/9065815/a1738aba189dfcbf209dad87d5d8910ce0462ee1f13b720a19b3570ff985a6e3
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: