Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:20:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have Bitcoin , now what ?  (Read 1265 times)
The Bad Guy (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 04:53:11 PM

So I have Bitcoins on my BTC wallet (Multibit) , and I was wondering what I should do or save Exactly so in case of a computer failure I can get my wallet & money back ? thank you

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:01:06 PM

You will surely want to make a backup copy of your wallet. As long as you have a backup copy you can always get back to your bitcoins. If you do not have a backup then you are screwed if you lose your original. When a wallet (private key) is lost there is NO chance of recovering the funds.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
The Bad Guy (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:04:21 PM

You will surely want to make a backup copy of your wallet. As long as you have a backup copy you can always get back to your bitcoins. If you do not have a backup then you are screwed if you lose your original. When a wallet (private key) is lost there is NO chance of recovering the funds.

What exactly should I save mate ? any Specific file or something ?

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:10:06 PM

I am afraid I do not know much about multi-bit. But if you are using windows you might find the folder you want by typing %appdata% in the run box near the "start" button. The wallet itself is named wallet.dat in bitcoin core, it may be similar for multi-bit.

Can someone confirm the location?

EDIT: this might help. And it looks like %appdata% should find the multibit folder and the wallet is called multibit.wallet The wallet is what you want to save.

http://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_gettingStarted.html

bigadam0101

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:16:27 PM

Good question..  Smiley

one time i copy everything from %appdata% MultiBit
and that was enough 
mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:28:14 PM

So I have Bitcoins on my BTC wallet (Multibit) , and I was wondering what I should do or save Exactly so in case of a computer failure I can get my wallet & money back ? thank you

The best would be to backup your wallet on an USB drive or a cd and place it somewhere where it wont be touched or moved from.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

The Bad Guy (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:31:04 PM

I am afraid I do not know much about multi-bit. But if you are using windows you might find the folder you want by typing %appdata% in the run box near the "start" button. The wallet itself is named wallet.dat in bitcoin core, it may be similar for multi-bit.

Can someone confirm the location?

EDIT: this might help. And it looks like %appdata% should find the multibit folder and the wallet is called multibit.wallet The wallet is what you want to save.

http://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_gettingStarted.html

Alright I found those (have more then one wallet), so I just need to save the .wallet files ? no need to save those things called Private keys or anything else ?

cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2014, 05:48:09 PM

The private key is what you will need to send coins somewhere, they are very important if you have your wallet encrypted.

As a safety measure I save the whole App Data folder. However with Multibit its not that big a deal, as MNultibit does not need to download the whole blockchain to sync in.  But with other coins like Dogecoin and Litecoin it makes for a faster switchover to a new computer if you just save the whole App Data folder including your wallet.dat file.

The Bad Guy (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:54:38 PM

The private key is what you will need to send coins somewhere, they are very important if you have your wallet encrypted.

As a safety measure I save the whole App Data folder. However with Multibit its not that big a deal, as MNultibit does not need to download the whole blockchain to sync in.  But with other coins like Dogecoin and Litecoin it makes for a faster switchover to a new computer if you just save the whole App Data folder including your wallet.dat file.

Hmm I see , thanks for the help dude
I'am not familliar with multibit too since I was using Electrum and it stopped working suddenly and without any reason (window not opening when I double click.) Shocked

Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 06:05:11 PM

You need to back up your private keys. Print them on pare, QR code...

Or you can move all bitcoins to wallet with paper wallet support )like armory or electrum.

These wallets use single seed (strong pass phrase) from with you can generate all addresses and private keys.
So storing of this seed is your lifetime backup.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 06:11:14 PM

Alright I found those (have more then one wallet), so I just need to save the .wallet files ? no need to save those things called Private keys or anything else ?

It is the private keys that you want. In bitcoin core the private keys are associated with the wallet.dat file. I am not sure how it works in electrum or multi-bit. But if you see something called "private keys" then I would back that up also.

Pierre11

Activity: 502
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 06:42:19 PM

It is the private keys that you want. In bitcoin core the private keys are associated with the wallet.dat file. I am not sure how it works in electrum or multi-bit. But if you see something called "private keys" then I would back that up also.

The Bad Guy - also make sure to back them up on offline storage such as a CD or USB or a disconnected-from-the-internet hard drive
The Bad Guy (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 06:57:17 PM

The Bad Guy - also make sure to back them up on offline storage such as a CD or USB or a disconnected-from-the-internet hard drive

Yep that's what I'am planning to do , thanks for the advice and everyones help Grin

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 07:07:14 PM

Perhaps you would have received more accurate and useful answers if you had asked your MultiBit question in the MultiBit Subforum?

https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_gettingStarted.html

- snip -
You can always see the file location of your current wallet in the main title bar of your MultiBit window. For instance, it might say: "MultiBit - My wallet - /Users/jim/Library/Application Support/MultiBit/multibit.wallet". The file name at the end is where your wallet is stored.
- snip -

https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_fileDescriptions.html

- snip -
saving.wallet  =  This is the main wallet file containing your private keys and transactions.
- snip -

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: