Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:29:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Producing Mining Cases for Sale- Good idea or a no go?  (Read 1442 times)
nckrazze (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 10:29:58 PM

Hello everyone!

I have some thoughts on making mining cases for people's rigs and was just wondering on what the community had to say. I'm pretty open to any ideas so I'll take any advice you have. I have experience in carpentry and machining, so I was thinking about making some cases to be sold in the community. I was just wondering what materials people would be interested in, as well as size. I've made a few for myself that have been used for mining, out of wood mainly, but was just wondering what others would like. Is there actually any interest in purchasing pre-made mining cases. Also, I would most probably ship them disassembled and include assembly instructions. Lastly, how much would consumers actually pay for a product like this and would the demand be high? If you have any thoughts or concerns, or would be interested in a case, please reply.

Regards,
Nick

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 05:01:08 AM

I think it's a good idea

nckrazze (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 05:23:50 AM

I think it's a good idea

Would you be interested in purchasing one? What would be a fair price?
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 12:39:55 PM

You should message spotswood as he already makes open air rigs and he probably would be able to answer your questions better. Smiley

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 06:07:32 AM

Hello everyone!

I have some thoughts on making mining cases for people's rigs and was just wondering on what the community had to say. I'm pretty open to any ideas so I'll take any advice you have. I have experience in carpentry and machining, so I was thinking about making some cases to be sold in the community. I was just wondering what materials people would be interested in, as well as size. I've made a few for myself that have been used for mining, out of wood mainly, but was just wondering what others would like. Is there actually any interest in purchasing pre-made mining cases. Also, I would most probably ship them disassembled and include assembly instructions. Lastly, how much would consumers actually pay for a product like this and would the demand be high? If you have any thoughts or concerns, or would be interested in a case, please reply.

Regards,
Nick

maybe.  why not post some screenshots of the ones you said you already made?
swissmate

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 08:46:39 AM

It's a great idea I'd love to get one.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:29:29 PM

Hello everyone!

Regards,
Nick

If you could make some self-assembly kits that would somewhat resemble those frames made by that guy in the stickied thread in the hardware section, [eta this one: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=29729.0 ], I'd definitely be up for buying two or three. I'd probably only stretch to around 50 USD each though, and that would have to include shipping to the UK so I don't know if it'd be worth your while.

Basically what I actually need is something to hold up the graphics cards when they're all on PCIe-x16 extender cables. At the moment my rigs have no case or frame AT ALL, I'm just plugging two cards straight into the mobo [which is lying flat on a table], and two more are on extenders but perched somewhat precariously on top of the first two. It's all rather non-ideal.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
lemonz

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 08:35:29 PM

I think it's a idea with some promise.  I personally would not be in the market for one, but I think some critical points for success would be:

• Modularity - a design the grows with the users needs
  • Standards compliant - you'd want to support mounting for at least ATX, EATX, and Mini-ATX
  • Ability to add a PCIe backplane - going back to modularity (might not be necessary - but if modular, could be a separate part!)
  • Physical support for graphics cards - a lot of longer cards can warp when stacked vertically, this can cause problems for fans getting caught on the next card's solder
  • Open case if you're targeting a price point, this will help keep it low.  If price is no object, then a closed case with modular cooling to again grow with the user.

Another point to consider is the viability of GPU mining to make an investment worth while for users.  BFL will be making an announcement this Friday regarding their BitForce SC (ASIC).  Again, if it were me, I would maybe hear what they have to say before investing a lot of time or money into this.  (Unlikely example: BFL may announce something that renders GPUs unprofitable by a large margin, and that they have enough supply to meet demand - which could lend you a niche to market some type of enclosure for the ASICs?)

As long as carpentry and machining are a passion of yours, I'm sure you will have fun with it whatever you do.  If you do fun first and profit later, you will always win!

Subbed to see what comes of this!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: