Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:53:25 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is the PoW alogrithm an intrinsic characteristic to the definition of Bitcoin?
Yes, we shouldn't even suggest using another consensus mechanism other than PoW. - 16 (34%)
Perhaps we should be open to change after really careful scrutiny and testing if a better mechanism exists. - 25 (53.2%)
I'm sick of PoW, lets move off of it as soon as possible. - 6 (12.8%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to the Alogrithm Prohibited or disputed?  (Read 5257 times)
inBitweTrust (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 01:33:25 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2014, 12:09:50 PM by inBitweTrust

This thread has nothing to do with altcoins and was either mistakenly or intentionally(for unknown reasons) moved to this section by a moderator.

I generally agree with these principles:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Prohibited_changes

1) Bitcoin is defined with 21 million units
2) Demurrage is prohibited
3) Rules which increase centralization are prohibited

Additionally, I would like to suggest

4) Any changes which destroy fungibility (I.E..blacklists) are prohibited
5) Any changes which destroy the Pseudonymity of Bitcoin is prohibited

These 5 principles are core ideals which define bitcoin and any divergence from these and I will consider the hardfork an Alt and quickly lose all interest in supporting these changes.

What is listed as disputed involves changing the consensus mechanism away from 100% PoW. As many know I have been very critical of the security weaknesses found in existing PoS implementations so am certainly no alt shill or fanboi, regardless am open to a fruitful discussion of different mechanisms to better secure Bitcoin at lower costs.

Vitalik Buterin has been a great contributor to the bitcoin space and has written a recent article which appears to address many NaS problems:
https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/11/25/proof-stake-learned-love-weak-subjectivity/

Personally, I think we should be open to discussing these ideas honestly and don't make any rush decisions in suggesting a hardfork. There are some huge elephants in the room we all must acknowledge between the near impossibility of mining at a profit for the average user, reliance on centralization of pools, and the security costs from disposable ASIC's and electricity.

Discuss....

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 01:58:10 AM

IMO, if you think Satoshi done wrong, prove it, release alt that corrects all his "errors", then sit back and wait for it to cruise on past bitcoin next week millenium.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 01:58:51 AM

The nice thing about Bitcoin consensus is that there are no rules and no prohibitions. Anyone that wants to go against any of your principles and prohibitions is free to do so. The trick is to get people to follow them.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:03:01 AM

IMO, if you think Satoshi done wrong, prove it, release alt that corrects all his "errors", then sit back and wait for it to cruise on past bitcoin next week millenium.

Satoshi was a genius but don't worship him as a god. If you have been paying attention the core developers have been fixing many of his errors for the past 3 years with the sloppy tarball of a coding mess he left behind.

I actually agree with this. Vitalik and others should standardize their proposals, there should be a time period of discussion and criticism. The changes should be implemented on either an alt or sidechain for a significant period of time (1-3 years) to prove itself before we even consider a hardfork with Bitcoin.

The question I have for you is are you completely opposed to a hardfork away from PoW to a provably better mechanism or hybrid PoW/TaPoS consensus algo?

Is PoW a fundamental principle that defines Bitcoin or can bitcoin evolve as needed?

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:34:22 AM

The question I have for you is are you completely opposed to a hardfork away from PoW to a provably better mechanism or hybrid PoW/TaPoS consensus algo?

As long as nobody gets screwed over (e.g. ASIC designers) I might be open to this.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:39:00 AM

Please explain "demmurage" in this context.  I don't know what you mean.

inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:44:06 AM

Please explain "demmurage" in this context.  I don't know what you mean.

It is a tax applied to a stakeholder of a currency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demurrage_%28currency%29

Demurrage is the cost associated with owning or holding currency over a given period.

Freicoin is a cryptocurrency similar to Bitcoin. Demurrage is levied at 4.89% per annum.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:45:38 AM

Please explain "demmurage" in this context.  I don't know what you mean.

Some - artificial in this case - cost of holding.  See freicoin for example for about a 4.9% charge per year.

In other words, just because your coins exist doesn't mean they'll lose value every year due to fees.

One description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demurrage_%28currency%29
TinaK

Activity: 1106
Merit: 527

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:50:58 AM

I believe you say that problem had been considered by many people, as for why, everyone has their each reason.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:23:41 AM

I get the impression that you don't understand what the word "consensus" means or how difficult it is to change it once it is established.
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:30:01 AM

I get the impression that you don't understand what the word "consensus" means or how difficult it is to change it once it is established.

I understand exactly what it means and the difficulty in getting most of the community to switch software. What have I said, suggests otherwise?

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:46:25 AM

as I mentioned in the other thread, even if Vitalik's ESS scheme solves the NaS issue,
(meaning people won't be able to vote on multiple chains simultaneously with no penalty)
it doesn't mean (as far as I can tell) that miners won't try to compete with each other
using computing power to form better chains faster than everyone else, and we may just
end up back with a sort of PoW system.  So, it's quite possible there won't be any energy savings,
just complication.

S.Boxx

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:54:18 AM

I generally agree with these principles:

1) Bitcoin is defined with 21 million units
2) Demurrage is prohibited
3) Rules which increase centralization are prohibited

Additionally, I would like to suggest

4) Any changes which destroy fungibility (I.E..blacklists) are prohibited
5) Any changes which destroy the Pseudonymity of Bitcoin is prohibited

These 5 principles are core ideals which define bitcoin and any divergence from these and I will consider the hardfork an Alt and quickly lose all interest in supporting these changes.

What is listed as disputed involves changing the consensus mechanism away from 100% PoW. As many know I have been very critical of the security weaknesses found in existing PoS implementations so am certainly no alt shill or fanboi, regardless am open to a fruitful discussion of different mechanisms to better secure Bitcoin at lower costs.

Vitalik Buterin has been a great contributor to the bitcoin space and has written a recent article which appears to address many NaS problems:
https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/11/25/proof-stake-learned-love-weak-subjectivity/

Personally, I think we should be open to discussing these ideas honestly and don't make any rush decisions in suggesting a hardfork. There are some huge elephants in the room we all must acknowledge between the near impossibility of mining at a profit for the average user, reliance on centralization of pools, and the security costs from disposable ASIC's and electricity.

Discuss....

Let me try to translate Vitelik's bulshiteese into more straightforward English:

Quote from: me in somebody's else voice

"I have zero experience in working with actual financial software. I even have no amateur's interest in learning how it works. I'm writing a demagoguery targeted at the lowest common denominator of code monkey: Javascript or PHP programmer for the web services."

©2112
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 04:02:44 AM

Let me try to translate Vitelik's bulshiteese into more straightforward English:

"I have zero experience in working with actual financial software. I even have no amateur's interest in learning how it works. I'm writing a demagoguery targeted at the lowest common denominator of code monkey: Javascript or PHP programmer for the web services."

©2112

Are you trying to suggest Vitalik isn't a prolific programmer or hasn't co-developed his own software stack?

https://github.com/vbuterin

S.Boxx

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 04:10:34 AM

©2112

Are you trying to suggest Vitalik isn't a prolific programmer or hasn't co-developed his own software stack?

I'm saying he doesn't know much about anything.....here is a typical Vitalik statement:

Vitalik Buterin:

"…lower threshold that the total satoshi count manages to fall just below: the largest possible integer that can be exactly represented in floating point format"

Bullshit detector tripped!

Floating point since forever had two flavors: binary and decimal. The most well known standards are: IEEE 754-1985, IEEE 854-1987 & IEEE 754-2008. The only remaining question is which flavor of bullshit is being served here:

1) undereducated/incompetent
2) intentional deception/preliminary setup for future fraud
3) two-for-the-price-of-one mixture of the above

Standard links for those who are not afraid of the truth and not afraid to admit that they may have slept through some lecture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_floating_point
http://speleotrove.com/decimal/

©2112
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 04:22:24 AM

©2112

I'm saying he doesn't know much about anything.....here is a typical Vitalik statement:

Vitalik Buterin:

"…lower threshold that the total satoshi count manages to fall just below: the largest possible integer that can be exactly represented in floating point format"

Bullshit detector tripped!

Floating point since forever had two flavors: binary and decimal. The most well known standards are: IEEE 754-1985, IEEE 854-1987 & IEEE 754-2008. The only remaining question is which flavor of bullshit is being served here:

1) undereducated/incompetent
2) intentional deception/preliminary setup for future fraud
3) two-for-the-price-of-one mixture of the above

Standard links for those who are not afraid of the truth and not afraid to admit that they may have slept through some lecture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_floating_point
http://speleotrove.com/decimal/

©2112

That's ridiculous.   You don't need to know the history of IEEE standards to be a good programmer,
and even if he did, he may have been speaking loosely.

I'm no fan of ethereum, etc, but to say he doesn't know what he's talking about because he didn't
use the terminology you expected when discussing data types is kinda nuts IMO.

Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 04:26:14 AM

Shouldn't this be in the altcoin section?

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 04:28:52 AM

Shouldn't this be in the altcoin section?

This topic is about Bitcoin, not altcoins. I don't really care about any alts.

Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 04:31:20 AM

Bitcoin is POW last time I checked.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 04:33:58 AM

Bitcoin is POW last time I checked.

Thank you for offering your opinion, not everyone agrees that is a defining characteristic of Bitcoin that should never be changed.

"Disputed

Adding alternatives to Proof of Work such as Proof of Stake. This could change core bitcoin too much, but with widespread agreement of some sort might be possible."

If you carefully read my comments instead of having a knee jerk reaction you will see that I am not even suggesting we change away from PoW either. I am merely suggesting we discuss it and be open to learning.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: