Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:22:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Denuvo Anti-Tamper DRM  (Read 2829 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 11:08:12 AM

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/11/grand-theft-auto-v-on-pc-to-utilise-denuvo-drm

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/denuvo-drm-dragon-age-fifa-15-possibly-damaging-to-31695691/

I don't know if any of you guys have been keeping an eye on this sort of thing but I have, there seems to be confirmed rumours about a new type of DRM appearing all over the internet. Now I'm sure people will dismiss this and go "So what? I buy the game legally" well, as it turns out this looks to be an off-shoot of another quite sinister piece of DRM software that was responsible for messing up peoples computers when it was installed back in the day.

Not only that, this kind of DRM is responsible for causing computers to run the games badly because of all the background checking they do while you're trying to play the game, as I've seen in comments, I smell a class action lawsuit on the way again, it looks like publishers are finally going to take things too far, should be extremely funny if the pirates manage to crack this one as well, they've done it before.

Edit: Just found something very funny on their main website so they're clearly realising people know what they're up to, I reckon this will be cracked next week or something.

http://www.denuvo.com/

Does Denuvo Anti-Tamper affect my SSD or any other type of hard drives in any way?

No. As mentioned before, Denuvo Anti-Tamper does not constantly read or write any data to storage media.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 01:51:14 PM

Yeah, Denuvo has not been cracked in several months. It has been made by the same guys that made SecuROM, so you can expect it to have all the standard things: obfuscation, Virtual Machine, Encryption.

I chat with the guys that made it quite often.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 01:57:23 PM

Tell them I said they're a bunch of evil fuckers Tongue
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:23:55 PM

Haha.

Well, SecuROM is now officially dead, they abandoned Sony's Digital Rights department to form Denuvo, so we will not be seeing it anymore. But as a personal project I have planned to crack it all by myself, even though it has already been defeated many years ago.
But Denuvo, well think about it this way, if several highly sophisticated and experienced groups of crackers have not beaten it yet, it is quite challenging.

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 02:28:48 PM

It will get cracked, eventually, the question is just how long.
vm1990
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:33:44 PM

they took there time cracking open the PS3 im sure if someone out there can secure it then someone else can break it. i think before new year depending on how much attention gets put towards it

Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:35:02 PM

Btw, the claim that it destroys SSDs has been debunked.

But whether it causes performance issues is a different story. Usually these guys work with developers's game's source code and place their protection callbacks somewhere inside. So each time the game executes some game code it will inevitably reach Denuvo code.

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 02:35:54 PM

Yes, supposedly, but DRM is infamous for causing problems on PCs, just because of the fact that there's a process constantly running in the background of course it's going to cause problems when running the game.
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:38:52 PM

Yes, supposedly, but DRM is infamous for causing problems on PCs, just because of the fact that there's a process constantly running in the background of course it's going to cause problems when running the game.
It doesn't run in the background, although I have no idea how Denuvo works, SecuROM is basically a wrapper, it is embedded in the exe, it runs with the game, not in a separate process.

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 02:43:22 PM

It doesn't run in the background, although I have no idea how Denuvo works, SecuROM is basically a wrapper, it is embedded in the exe, it runs with the game, not in a separate process.

That's exactly what most forms of DRM do though, they do run constantly in the background, hell, I actually came across a problem with Battlefields anti-cheat punkbuster, because one particular file wasn't running in the background that caused the game to constantly kick me off the servers I joined then mysteriously they of course stealth patched it and I never had a problem with it since. They put all kinds of shit on PC games now and it's because they hate the fact that we can tamper with it so easily lol Tongue pretty soon we're going to be back in the era of being able to run cracked games better than 'legitimate' copies.

So if I'm not even a programmer and I'm finding all this shit on my PC imagine what programmers and the crack teams are finding in the background and yeah, Dragon Age is apparently one of the games that has had this copyright protection put on it so it could end up being cracked fairly early. Of course, we're never going to get a straight answer out of companies like Denuvo or the games publishers because then they'd be forced to remove it just like last time.
vm1990
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:25:19 PM

That's exactly what most forms of DRM do though, they do run constantly in the background, hell, I actually came across a problem with Battlefields anti-cheat punkbuster, because one particular file wasn't running in the background that caused the game to constantly kick me off the servers I joined then mysteriously they of course stealth patched it and I never had a problem with it since. They put all kinds of shit on PC games now and it's because they hate the fact that we can tamper with it so easily lol Tongue pretty soon we're going to be back in the era of being able to run cracked games better than 'legitimate' copies.

So if I'm not even a programmer and I'm finding all this shit on my PC imagine what programmers and the crack teams are finding in the background and yeah, Dragon Age is apparently one of the games that has had this copyright protection put on it so it could end up being cracked fairly early. Of course, we're never going to get a straight answer out of companies like Denuvo or the games publishers because then they'd be forced to remove it just like last time.

i think soon there going to have to do free to play games and just charge for content it is the only way to stop piracy. if i developed a game id release it for free and let people hack the hell out of it, imagine a big game and some of the mods that would come out like teamfortress it would be amazing. and then simply add the mods to the game as people like them. games would become truly epic and you would have massive massive fan bases and more people buying content.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 05:36:02 PM

Seems like a promising technology. Nice to see that they've figured out a possible solution to piracy when so many others have failed.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 05:46:56 PM

i think soon there going to have to do free to play games and just charge for content it is the only way to stop piracy. if i developed a game id release it for free and let people hack the hell out of it, imagine a big game and some of the mods that would come out like teamfortress it would be amazing. and then simply add the mods to the game as people like them. games would become truly epic and you would have massive massive fan bases and more people buying content.

There are games companies that do just fine without having a shit ton of DRM on their, the makers of the witcher being the first example that springs to mind, as far as I'm concerned internet 'piracy' is nothing more than an invention of the copyright industry to extract more money out of people without them having to make anything.
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 06:26:18 PM

To a point, piracy helps players demo test a game, prior to purchase. For instance, just recently I downloaded The Witcher, but I didn't like the combat system, so I deleted the game. I don't believe I hurt them with that action.

I can go on all day about what the mind of a pirate is, 90% of the time it isn't about demo trying a game, it's about hassle,money and time, pretty much.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 06:27:47 PM

Seems like a promising technology. Nice to see that they've figured out a possible solution to piracy when so many others have failed.
Solution? There is no solution. Piracy isn't bad. Denuvo actually is. Also, yes it does hurt performance try it out yourself.

Investing so much into DRM is a bad move. Someone out there will crack it. It's the whole company vs a few smaller groups, yet Denuvo will lose at the end..

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 06:36:30 PM

Solution? There is no solution. Piracy isn't bad. Denuvo actually is. Also, yes it does hurt performance try it out yourself.

Investing so much into DRM is a bad move. Someone out there will crack it. It's the whole company vs a few smaller groups, yet Denuvo will lose at the end..
Look, piracy *is* bad, but unfortunately it is inevitable. Not everybody can pay, even less people can afford to spend money, that they earned with difficulty and with delays.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 06:45:31 PM

Look, piracy *is* bad, but unfortunately it is inevitable. Not everybody can pay, even less people can afford to spend money, that they earned with difficulty and with delays.
Actually piracy increases sales very often. Let's say that there is no FC4 (example) torrent. I wouldn't be able to play the game. I still wouldn't buy it. How would the company lose a sale here that wasn't going to happen either way?
If I like(d) the game I'd buy it obviously.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 06:55:36 PM

You can't blame them for trying though.

Kinda like saying investing into antivirus is a bad move because someone out there is going to make malware that gets past it.
patt0
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1005

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 07:47:56 PM

Kinda like saying investing into antivirus is a bad move because someone out there is going to make malware that gets past it.

It seems to me like it would be better to spend the money to actually improve the game than try to stop people playing the game without paying. xD
The game would be better, more people would talk about it, and more would buy it.

b!z
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 07:54:26 PM

It seems to me like it would be better to spend the money to actually improve the game than try to stop people playing the game without paying. xD
The game would be better, more people would talk about it, and more would buy it.

Implying publishers don't already spend money to improve their games. They need to be able to protect their investments, even if it only works half the time.

People complain about games like the new CoD (I do too) but it still sells very well and remains popular with a lot of people.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: