Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:55:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bragging rights! Who has the highest BTC balance?  (Read 6266 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 04:47:53 AM

500, half from CPU mining.

That's pretty cool. I got into mining right at the end of the CPU days Smiley Only made like 20 coins though Tongue
You mean you found twenty blocks of fifty coins?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
redbeans2012

Activity: 887
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 04:50:11 AM

Started with 50 a couple months ago.. Invested them all on the GLBSE.. with smart trading and dividends, I have about 400 now.
dancingnancy

Activity: 661
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 05:42:50 AM

Started with 50 a couple months ago.. Invested them all on the GLBSE.. with smart trading and dividends, I have about 400 now.
How many months ago?

700% yield in 2 months?  

I just took out my financial calculator and I figured out you gained  approximately 3.53% compounded every day for 60 days to come up with that sum.  "Abnormal returns" if true.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 05:49:29 AM

i'm reminded of "HOWTO: create a 100% secure wallet"

if you happen to make/have made a significant amount of coins, don't run around telling everybody like the self-satisfied vagina that you are

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 05:50:10 AM

Totally believable. If you're good at predicting the market you can do great things Smiley

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 05:51:02 AM

i'm reminded of "HOWTO: create a 100% secure wallet"

if you happen to make/have made a significant amount of coins, don't run around telling everybody like the self-satisfied vagina that you are

My thought exactly when I read this thread title.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
dancingnancy

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 05:51:41 AM

Totally believable. If you're good at predicting the market you can do great things Smiley

29% per week?

Doubtful unless you are highly levered.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 04:07:02 PM

I was pushing 850 after a start with 700 doing some trading on MtGox.

Then I started trading on Bitcoinica.

I am now at 180 in my MtGox account. Sad

My goal was to get to 1000 then just let that ride into my retirement.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 04:11:24 PM

My wallet has over a million satoshis!
Anth0n

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 08:13:40 PM

I'm at a solid 2106, and ideally I would just hold them and not buy more but chances are I'll want to keep buying. I've got pie-in-the-sky hopes for this thing since I'm one of those crazy internet libertarians who thinks Bitcoin is almost the perfect money.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 08:16:57 PM

I'm at a solid 2106, and ideally I would just hold them and not buy more but chances are I'll want to keep buying. I've got pie-in-the-sky hopes for this thing since I'm one of those crazy internet libertarians who thinks Bitcoin is almost the perfect money.
Lol, you must have just come back from the dead to see the value of your coins. I can tell because of the TH referral.... TH is dead now, Dwolla fucked them.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 08:23:48 PM

I'm at a solid 2106
You have just over one ten-thousandth of all the BTC that will ever be issued!
Anth0n

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 08:32:28 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I'm at a solid 2106

It's nice to have 1/10000th, but I'm still kicking myself because I discovered Bitcoin around when they were worth 6 cents and didn't pay enough attention. I didn't bother going on the forums so I never learned about an exchange or anything, or that there was a real community. I just downloaded the client and mined with my CPU for a bit, then eventually got rid of it. I then randomly google searched it almost a year later to find out they were going for almost $1.00 and the economy had progressed significantly. That's when I became interested. So I'm actually not much over break-even right now for my investment since I also bought a lot at higher prices, while the lowest I've bought at was probably around $3.

But the key in my mind is not to gamble and leverage unless you're playing with a small amount of coins. I'm lucky enough to have a good job and few expenses so spending a couple thousand on coins once in a while is not a big deal for me. I also never trust keeping my coins stored online anywhere.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 08:38:46 PM

The reserve address for my savings program (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60405.0) has 340 BTC sitting on it at the moment: http://www.blockchain.info/address/12zyCSx4ijK9UZWwfQQSWBZ5mgHoGyoiEH

But none of them belong to me Sad

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
redbeans2012

Activity: 887

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 09:16:24 PM

How many months ago?

700% yield in 2 months?  

I just took out my financial calculator and I figured out you gained  approximately 3.53% compounded every day for 60 days to come up with that sum.  "Abnormal returns" if true.

Maybe 3 or so I don't know.  For example I bought MU at I think .10 and sold around .70

Also bought MATH at about 1 and sold for 10 a couple weeks later

Not unheard of on the glbse

Add a few day trades here and there
dancingnancy

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 09:24:35 PM

How many months ago?

700% yield in 2 months? 

I just took out my financial calculator and I figured out you gained  approximately 3.53% compounded every day for 60 days to come up with that sum.  "Abnormal returns" if true.

Maybe 3 or so I don't know.  For example I bought MU at I think .10 and sold around .70

Also bought MATH at about 1 and sold for 10 a couple weeks later

Not unheard of on the glbse

Add a few day trades here and there

Those are impressive gains. 
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:12:25 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

It's nice to have 1/10000th, but I'm still kicking myself because I discovered Bitcoin around when they were worth 6 cents and didn't pay enough attention. I didn't bother going on the forums so I never learned about an exchange or anything, or that there was a real community. I just downloaded the client and mined with my CPU for a bit, then eventually got rid of it. I then randomly google searched it almost a year later to find out they were going for almost $1.00 and the economy had progressed significantly. That's when I became interested. So I'm actually not much over break-even right now for my investment since I also bought a lot at higher prices, while the lowest I've bought at was probably around $3.

This is uncannily similar to my story. I actually found Bitcoin like late in 2009, I mined two blocks and thought to myself, "This is even more pointless than using my CPU to find prime numbers!" I then deleted the wallet and have no way of recovering those 100 coin.

About a year later I start reading about this crazy digital currency that Wikileaks donators were using that was close to parity with the dollar and realize it's the same thing. Like you, I mined with my GPU for a while and eventually threw a bunch of cash into Dwolla and then used a #bitcoin-otc trader to move that money to MtGox where I bought for under a dollar. Before I knew it I was dropping money on mining equipment too. I've made both good and bad trades, I think I'm sitting about where I want to be in regards to what I've put in. I've made some really lucky buy orders, too, the last drop to the $2 range on Gox I bought within 2 cents of the bottom. Like you, a significant amount is sitting in offline wallets.

Between those, my physical Bitcoins, and my mining on various pools and into P2Pool wallets that I regularly swap around, I have no idea how many I actually own. I keep telling myself that one day I'm going to have to get all my wallets together and figure it out, but I'm not really in any particular rush to do so, I don't intend to sell for USD, I intend to wait till I can use Bitcoin more regularly to buy any and everything, and then I'll start doing so!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 03:48:31 AM

This is uncannily similar to my story. I actually found Bitcoin like late in 2009, I mined two blocks and thought to myself, "This is even more pointless than using my CPU to find prime numbers!" I then deleted the wallet and have no way of recovering those 100 coin.

About a year later I start reading about this crazy digital currency that Wikileaks donators were using that was close to parity with the dollar and realize it's the same thing. Like you, I mined with my GPU for a while and eventually threw a bunch of cash into Dwolla and then used a #bitcoin-otc trader to move that money to MtGox where I bought for under a dollar. Before I knew it I was dropping money on mining equipment too. I've made both good and bad trades, I think I'm sitting about where I want to be in regards to what I've put in. I've made some really lucky buy orders, too, the last drop to the $2 range on Gox I bought within 2 cents of the bottom. Like you, a significant amount is sitting in offline wallets.

Between those, my physical Bitcoins, and my mining on various pools and into P2Pool wallets that I regularly swap around, I have no idea how many I actually own. I keep telling myself that one day I'm going to have to get all my wallets together and figure it out, but I'm not really in any particular rush to do so, I don't intend to sell for USD, I intend to wait till I can use Bitcoin more regularly to buy any and everything, and then I'll start doing so!
+1. I'm still digging around for my old IDE drive that hosted my first gen-Satoshi client though - if I remember correctly I have mined a couple of blocks on a Pentium 4.  Cheesy
Got back to Bitcoins last May when I was researching stuff for a cryptography project and started rolling in the GPU's.  Wink
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2012, 01:42:51 AM

I'm at a solid 2106

It would be interesting to see a rank order list...my ~500 BTC puts me in the top 20,000 (for the moment), but I seriously doubt there are 20,000 people with 500 BTC.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 06:27:11 AM

I was pushing 850 after a start with 700 doing some trading on MtGox.

Then I started trading on Bitcoinica.

I am now at 180 in my MtGox account. Sad

My goal was to get to 1000 then just let that ride into my retirement.

Famous last words.  Cry
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: