Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:01:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Actually, Riots are Good: The Economic Case for Riots in Ferguson  (Read 2535 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 07:52:38 PM

Smirking St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch took his robes off long enough on Monday to announce to the world that the killer of Mike Brown would face no criminal charges. In lieu of the usual grand jury process wherein the prosecutor says it wants an indictment and then the grand jury automatically gives it to them, McCulloch clearly did everything he could to make sure officer Darren Wilson would never face a trial. In the wake of such transparent rigging, Ferguson quite naturally exploded into fiery riots.

The media reaction to the rioting has thus far been uniformly ridiculous. As much as we all love AutoZone and Doritos, hysterically sobbing at the sight of the former being burned and the latter being looted is a tad over the top. A clip of bullets was unloaded into an unarmed black boy and then his killer was ushered through some sort of cop-loving kangaroo court, after all. Some charred car refreshers are hardly something to get worked up about in moments like these.

Even coverage that didn't exhibit Don Lemon levels of absurdity still endlessly bleated on about how the riots are obviously regrettable. Big time news outlets that generally abstain from telling you directly what to think have decided to make an exception for the rioting. They have discarded their usual straight face of objectivity to tell you that riots are definitely bad and that all right-thinking people should definitely be against them.

But is this really so? There is, of course, the historical case to be made for rioting: the past is replete with examples where rioting gets the goods. But there is also, I'd submit, an even more straightforward case for rioting: at the right levels, rioting is economically efficient.

http://gawker.com/actually-riots-are-good-the-economic-case-for-riots-i-1663629918

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They would disagree with that...

Ferguson Business Owner Goes Off On Gov. Nixon For Mass Looting & Destruction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx_prro_1V8

Looting at the Dollar Tree located at 10752 West Florissant
https://vine.co/v/O1XnPZtLJPe

AWFUL. Black-Owned Juanita’s Fashion R Boutique Burns While Rioters Giggle (VIDEO)
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/11/awful-black-owned-juanitas-fashion-r-boutique-burns-while-rioters-giggle-video/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:02:06 PM

Some good news from the chaos:

http://www.gofundme.com/nataliescakesnmore

Hello, I'm Natalie Dubose of Ferguson, Missouri. I'm a small business owner with a cake shop and a bakery dream.

First, I would thank everyone for their warm wishes, empathy, and support during this crazy difficult time.

I would love to write more, and will try soon, but my business is so behind right now.

My shop, which had it's grand opening this summer was vandalized in the riots.

My main windows were smashed and bakery damaged. I'm beside myself, but with the holidays, can't stop working.

I'm very busy cleaning and trying to repair my business. I'm also trying to catchup on baking cakes for Thanksgiving!

I promise to update this later. I'm truly mixing batter right now. I began baking and selling cakes at local flea markets, slowly saving money to start my small business.

I LOVE TO BAKE !!!

http://www.gofundme.com/nataliescakesnmore

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:20:56 PM

War is good for the economy, it does't mean war is good.

In fact the more money something makes, typically the worse it is for the quality of life for humans.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:40:52 AM

In fact the more money something makes, typically the worse it is for the quality of life for humans.

Right. Now all the people of Ferguson will have to build in armor protection on their businesses and homes. And to make it all work, they'll have to hide it so that it isn't visible until it is needed... you know, to show the love.

The problem has been seething for a long time. The Brown incident simply brought it to the surface. Most people don't want to riot. But they feel that there is no alternative.

The answer is, make it a law that people open carry on the streets in public. Get rid of the police department. Anyone not open carrying gets arrested by all those who obey the law and do. They can arrest him because he doesn't have anything to protect himself with.

While this might not be the answer right now in Ferguson, it IS the answer for a lot of places that are on their way to becoming a Ferguson.

Smiley

EDIT: Cops are people. But since you can't train the cops to act like people, train the people in police training. Then get rid of the cops.

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 03:25:57 PM

Right. Now all the people of Ferguson will have to build in armor protection on their businesses and homes. And to make it all work, they'll have to hide it so that it isn't visible until it is needed... you know, to show the love.

The problem has been seething for a long time. The Brown incident simply brought it to the surface. Most people don't want to riot. But they feel that there is no alternative.

The answer is, make it a law that people open carry on the streets in public. Get rid of the police department. Anyone not open carrying gets arrested by all those who obey the law and do. They can arrest him because he doesn't have anything to protect himself with.

While this might not be the answer right now in Ferguson, it IS the answer for a lot of places that are on their way to becoming a Ferguson.

Smiley

EDIT: Cops are people. But since you can't train the cops to act like people, train the people in police training. Then get rid of the cops.

The Decentralized Distributed Police Department needs a new logo...  Smiley

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:06:24 PM

Generally, a little disruption in all areas is good for those who aren't directly affected by the disruption. A big disruption like dropping a nuke, or meteorite hitting the earth is overkill.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 04:25:46 PM

Generally, a little disruption in all areas is good for those who aren't directly affected by the disruption. A big disruption like dropping a nuke, or meteorite hitting the earth is overkill.

Targeting the businesses where you live to show how much you are against the police makes you a better slave on food stamps...

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 09:28:03 PM

Normally, the govt would try to step in and use public funds to help those out that have had the misfortune of a natural disaster or some instance like this. It's nice to see the charity come out of the hearts of those that have been witnessing the ghetto actions of some miscreants that are harming the lives of their own people. Voluntary actions of charity do exist in the absence of govt interventions and it makes for a better overall population instead of people sitting back and letting the state take care of things in their stead.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 12:40:43 AM

If the people of the State were armed in open carry required, the whole situation would change. There might be trouble implementing it, but can you imagine a government that would be able to force the people to pay taxes if they were all armed? The government wouldn't have to step in because, the people would already be there.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 04:43:21 AM

Normally, the govt would try to step in and use public funds to help those out that have had the misfortune of a natural disaster or some instance like this. It's nice to see the charity come out of the hearts of those that have been witnessing the ghetto actions of some miscreants that are harming the lives of their own people. Voluntary actions of charity do exist in the absence of govt interventions and it makes for a better overall population instead of people sitting back and letting the state take care of things in their stead.
I would think that most businesses would have some kind of insurance to protect themselves from arson and looting (although it is possible that some insurance contracts have clauses that prevent them from being paid in the event of looting).

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that the government has not done more to prevent the kind of looting and arson that is taking place in Ferguson, to the point that would almost deserve the resignation of the governor
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 07:55:57 AM

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that the government has not done more to prevent the kind of looting and arson that is taking place in Ferguson, to the point that would almost deserve the resignation of the governor

Remember when George Bush was called out on national tv for "not caring about black people" because the national guard was late to the party? Nevermind that in reality he urged governor blanco in advance to please grant him the right to send the guard in before the storm hit and she flat out told him no, either way the liberal media assassinated him for it.

Now we have the national guard awol on the night everyone KNEW there would be riots. So why isn't the same accusations and criticism being hurled at Obama?

The difference is though I suspect Barack told Missouri's governor to stand down instead of pleading to send them in, after all a few good "great tv shots" sure did serve as a distraction from his immigration policies...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 04:50:59 PM

Some fear rioting may seal Ferguson fate for decades

The world watched live as crowds hurled bottles, looted liquor stores and set this city on fire in the 24 hours after a grand jury announced it would not indict police officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown, 18.

Some fear that images of Ferguson on fire may determine the city's fate for decades to come. Will its notoriety as a riot city mark it for rapid descent into blight like the Watts neighborhood in Los Angeles or will the world's attention to its disadvantages make it a magnet for investment that breathes new life into the St. Louis suburb?

Some neighborhoods affected by riots have needed decades to shed their reputation for violence, said Walter Olson, an expert in constitutional studies and a senior fellow at the Cato Institute, a public policy research organization in Washington, D.C. Businesses and residents may also face more practical hurdles as they rebuild. Businesses may find it difficult to get insurance. Property values may plummet.

"These reputational things become very hard to overcome even if the reality has changed and even if the danger is in the past," Olson said.

This is precisely what St. Louis Alderman Antonio French fears. French has stood alongside the protesters since the Aug. 9 shooting and said he's dismayed that destruction by a few people could overshadow the peaceful efforts of others.

"If you have been out here, you know 98% of everything that has been going on for the last over 100 days has been peaceful," French said.

The protests in Ferguson most resemble the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, said Donna Murch, a Rutgers University history professor.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/27/ferguson-is-new-form-of-protest/19348931/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... resemble the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s?

Nah.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 08:05:31 PM

Black Residents Armed With Assault Rifles Stand Guard Outside White-Owned Business During Ferguson Riots

A group of black Ferguson residents armed with high-powered rifles stood outside a white-owned business in the city during recent riots, protecting it from rioters that looted and burned other businesses.

After a grand jury returned no indictment against Darren Wilson, the Ferguson police officer who shot and killed unarmed black teen Michael Brown, protesters took to the streets and the demonstrations quickly turned into rioting. Several buildings were set ablaze, but a group of heavily armed black men stood outside a Conoco gas station.

One of the residents, a 6-foot-8 man named Derrick Johnson, held an AR-15 assault rifle as he stood in a pickup truck near that store’s entrance. Three other black Ferguson residents joined Johnson in front of the store, each of them armed with pistols.

In a city torn apart by racial tensions, the fact that black residents took up arms to defend a white-owned store made headlines.

The men said they felt indebted to the store’s owner, Doug Merello, who employed them over the course of several years.

The men said Merello always treated them with respect.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1638935/black-residents-armed-with-assault-rifles-stand-guard-outside-white-owned-business-during-ferguson-riots/

deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 11:26:23 PM

Remember when George Bush was called out on national tv for "not caring about black people" because the national guard was late to the party? Nevermind that in reality he urged governor blanco in advance to please grant him the right to send the guard in before the storm hit and she flat out told him no, either way the liberal media assassinated him for it.

Now we have the national guard awol on the night everyone KNEW there would be riots. So why isn't the same accusations and criticism being hurled at Obama?
I don't think Obama has been called out about this yet. I would be surprised if he does get called out.
The difference is though I suspect Barack told Missouri's governor to stand down instead of pleading to send them in, after all a few good "great tv shots" sure did serve as a distraction from his immigration policies...
It has been speculated in the MSM that Obama did tell the governor to stand down and I would agree with this theory. I don't agree with the reason however, I think it is more likely that he wants to worsen racial tensions so more blacks will go out and vote for democrats in 2016 and to put more pressure to loosen voter id laws
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 11:35:30 PM

war is good for the economy if your not in it and your selling the other parties the tools of the trade.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 12:48:43 AM

CALL FERGUSON DEMONSTRATIONS WHAT THEY ARE: 'OBAMA RIOTS'

To quote the cheery, lighted banner twinkling though the tear gas in Ferguson on Monday night, "Season's Greetings, America."

It is so wonderful in these troubling times that town elders and the politicians who are running this show didn't hang up something offensive, like "Happy Thanksgiving." Or "Merry Christmas."
"Season's Greetings" just hits that sweet spot, like sugared holiday cookies that celebrate everybody's special season, made-up or not. Cookies shaped like Stars of David, the continent of Africa, Christmas trees, crescent moons and fists of black power.

That's when you really have a parade! It's enough to bring tears to your eyes. Which is why everybody brought along their gas masks.

Now I realize that some in the media have taken grave exception to people referring to the riots in Ferguson as the "Ferguson riots." And I must say that I agree with them. They really are not the "Ferguson riots."
They are the "Obama riots."

President Barack Obama will forever rightly hold a distinguished place in American history. That can never be taken away from him.

But it is also true that he owns every single bit of these riots over the tragic killing of unarmed teenager Michael Brown. He owns the discontent. He owns the ignorance. He owns the mayhem. He owns the looting.
This rioting, it's not about Ferguson. It's not about Michael Brown. It's not about Darren Wilson.
After all, an independent grand jury evaluated all the evidence, heard from all the witnesses and asked every question 12 responsible Americans could possibly think up. And they determined that, however unfortunate, Brown's death was not a police murder.

The American grand jury system is not perfect and has not always been above and beyond corruption. But this system of justice works better than any other system of justice devised by man. And the fact that all these looting rioters haven't the faintest knowledge of this proves that Mr. Obama has personally failed miserably at educating and leading the very people he swears he wants to help the most.

The truth is that these riots are about so much more than Brown. They are about the monstrous discontent over every aspect of life for so many people finally boiling over.

Mr. Obama ran and won two presidential campaigns on promises that he would heal these very people. It was either stupidity or dishonesty to make such reckless promises to such vulnerable people just to win a couple of political elections.
The rioting lays bare the complete failure that is this presidency. In the end, the only thing this president has accomplished is proving that the American people, for all their flaws, would elect a black president. And then re-elect him despite a very disappointing first four years.

Nothing better encapsulated Mr. Obama's personal failure like the split screens carried on every channel showing the president addressing the situation from the White House alongside images of the situation unfolding in Ferguson.
"We are a nation built on the rule of law," he said as protesters smashed the windows of a police cruiser and rocked it back and forth, trying to tip it over.

"We do have work to do here," he said as protesters surged toward police lines and smoke began billowing toward them.
And the police, Mr. Obama said, "they need to work with the community, not against the community." Meanwhile, hissing canisters of tear gas skittered down the street.

The protesters, they must understand, justice "won't be done by throwing bottles." Just then, somebody gets hit in the head with a bottle.

This, the president said, is "an opportunity for us to seize the moment and turn this into a positive situation."
Beside him, on the screen, a reporter is trying to talk into the camera, wearing a gas mask. "If we can get some water," the reporter chokes.

Another reporter asks on air for the network to invest in better gas masks.

Luckily for everyone, President Obama took only one question and quickly exited the stage.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/11/26/nuclear-option-Ferguson-riots-are-Obamas-legacy

clubsofsteel

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 01:21:37 AM

i dont agree with the man..but riots are not good! imo

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 05:48:57 AM

Homeowners In Ferguson May Sell And Flee Elsewhere Thanks To All The Rioters…

Realty brokers in battered Ferguson, Missouri, are predicting many homes could go up for sale early next year after rioting over the August police shooting of a black teenager appeared to put a chill on the number of active listings.

Some homeowners are eager to leave Ferguson because of racially charged unrest over the past three months, brokers told Reuters. In the latest violence, stores were looted and set ablaze after a grand jury decided on Monday not to indict officer Darren Wilson in the shooting of Michael Brown.

“There’s no question that we have people wanting to leave because of the unrest,” said Pearce Neikirk, a long-time real estate broker in Ferguson.

http://news.yahoo.com/come-spring-sale-signs-expected-u-riot-hit-214704741.html

gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:00:55 AM

Homeowners In Ferguson May Sell And Flee Elsewhere Thanks To All The Rioters…

Realty brokers in battered Ferguson, Missouri, are predicting many homes could go up for sale early next year after rioting over the August police shooting of a black teenager appeared to put a chill on the number of active listings.

Some homeowners are eager to leave Ferguson because of racially charged unrest over the past three months, brokers told Reuters. In the latest violence, stores were looted and set ablaze after a grand jury decided on Monday not to indict officer Darren Wilson in the shooting of Michael Brown.

“There’s no question that we have people wanting to leave because of the unrest,” said Pearce Neikirk, a long-time real estate broker in Ferguson.

http://news.yahoo.com/come-spring-sale-signs-expected-u-riot-hit-214704741.html

The riot already have effect on the home value, and there might be future unrest on 1 anniversary
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: