Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:03:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's coming ...  (Read 5775 times)
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 05:14:45 PM

to you naysayers, this is the catch. Even bitinstant can be a huge hassle (the nearest bitinstant bank is over 30 miles away for me). This is a needed service.
You don't have a 7-11 or CVS nearby?

No and no.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ludo0777

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 07:04:43 PM

I said "FINALLY!!" when I saw the first post.

Then I read your next post.

I don't understand how this is interesting in the slightest for online sales.  Why would I want to buy a prepaid Bitcoin card and wait for it in the mail instead of just instantly receiving my Bitcoin as soon as I pay for it?  And, hasn't it already been done with Bitbills and Causicisuccuisusucss coins?

So, here's my suggestion:  Push hard to get them into a store.  Any store.  Then push for more, and more.  You'd be a huge step ahead of Bitinstant in the retail environment..!  Even if it's just a trial run in a single 7-11 store, or a single slot on the shelf at your local WalMart, or Huh  But that's what I'd be aiming for with these cards.

BTW, I do love the design.  Clean, slick, and noticeable.

Yes get them in a shop and get people to buy them, and then maybe loads of place would sell them Grin
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 07:08:56 PM

do want

hi
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 03:56:49 AM

Are you also going to make bank cards and payment cards like bitbills was going to?

Any answer to this?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:05:10 AM

Question: How is this better than a card with an actual private key on it? Are they private keys but just empty until activated after which your system will automatically send them bitcoins? And if so, does that mean people can't spend the bitcoins on this card until after it's cleared in the blockchain? And if not so, what is the difference between this and any other non-Bitcoin stored value card?

Sorry for the question-wall.

TangibleCryptography (OP)

Activity: 476

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 04:19:45 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2012, 04:39:12 AM by TangibleCryptography

I don't understand how this is interesting in the slightest for online sales.  Why would I want to buy a prepaid Bitcoin card and wait for it in the mail instead of just instantly receiving my Bitcoin as soon as I pay for it?  And, hasn't it already been done with Bitbills and Causicisuccuisusucss coins?

Because you can't.  Smiley

You can't you buy Bitcoins using reversible methods such as credit card without markup so large as to make it a novelty.  BitBills is effectively defunct and Causicius coins while a very attractive product (I own some myself) is targeting a different market (and at a high premium).

However the reality is that this product isn't really targeting you, me, or any established Bitcoin users.  The goal is to provide a cost effective user friendly way for everyday consumer to purchase Bitcoins.  Your mother or non-techy friend isn't going to WU money to some guy on a forum (no matter how many +1 he has), or send a bankwire and Photo ID to some exchange in Japan.  They simply aren't, that is the reality.  So if we want to broaden the base of bitcoin users the distribution channels will need to become more mainstream. 

So, here's my suggestion:  Push hard to get them into a store.  Any store.  Then push for more, and more.  You'd be a huge step ahead of Bitinstant in the retail environment..!  Even if it's just a trial run in a single 7-11 store, or a single slot on the shelf at your local WalMart, or Huh  But that's what I'd be aiming for with these cards.

Getting the product into the stores is the goal but the reality is the local Walmart does what the regional WalMart office does and they aren't going to do any POS purchases that aren't already integrated into their national backbone and that means the proven ability and financial commitment to move tens of millions of units per year.  Even what we would consider a smashing success of say hundreds of thousands of units per year would get you laughed out of the meeting.  

The situation is the same for most convenience store and grocery store chains.  Even the smaller independent stores partner with networks like BlackHawk network to handle their product distribution and restocking.  If BlackHawk network doesn't support it they aren't either.  

I am not saying it is an impossible goal but there are significant logistical hurdles.   Showing investors that Bitcoins CAN be sold in volume to a mainstream audience with manageable amounts of fraud is critical to get the seven figure funding it will take to land the product on a single hook on the bottom rung of a shelf in a major chain. 

Exciting.  I really wanted some bitbills.

Are you also going to make bank cards and payment cards like bitbills was going to?

It is something we have considered.  It would allow us to increase the duty cycle on these expensive digital printers.  When not running batches of new cards they could be processing custom "pay cards".  The trick is getting it automated to the point that the price point makes sense.  We would want to shoot for <$1 per custom card (full custom color front, QR code and address info on the back based on a template in resin black).  An alternative would be to include a free "pay card" with any order.  I don't really like the idea of a "bank card" because using private keys known by others for long term use is contrary to good security principles.   Granted we will know the private keys on Bitcoin prepaid cards but the intent is for them to be used temporarily.  I believe a semi-permanent bank card pushes that too far.

How do you plan mitigate the chargeback risk associated with accepting credit cards?

Magic.  No seriously all the details aren't going to be revealed at this point but restricted mail delivery, and remote activation will allow us to actively fight fraud instead of rolling over and letting the chargeback mount.  One of our investors has active role in debt collection industry and we intend to aggressive fight theft (often called "friendly fraud") which simply isn't possible in online delivery.  A charge-back even if successful doesn't eliminate the debt created by the underlying transaction and we intend to seek maximum damages via 3rd party debt collection, legal judgement, and derogatory credit reporting.  

How easy will this be for people in Europe? Most similar ideas I've seen so far are usually pretty US-centred.

It will be US-centered at least initially.  Our deliveries will be limited to the United States.  We hope after launching to locate partners in other countries willing to act as regional distributors.

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 04:27:37 AM

Question: How is this better than a card with an actual private key on it? Are they private keys but just empty until activated after which your system will automatically send them bitcoins? And if so, does that mean people can't spend the bitcoins on this card until after it's cleared in the blockchain? And if not so, what is the difference between this and any other non-Bitcoin stored value card?

Sorry for the question-wall.

The private key will be on the card however funds will not be loaded until activation.  It is very similar to any other stored value card with one important legal difference.  Once activated use of the card no longer requires communication with the originator.  If is our argument to FinCEN that this key element excludes the card from FinCEN's definition of stored value products.  Well technically the term is now "prepaid access" but the same concept applies.  We are waiting for an administrative ruling from FinCEN before launching as their determination materially affects the manner in which we can distribute this product.

From a consumer perspective we hope this product is indeed very familiar to users of "normal" giftcards.  The goal is to provide a Bitcoin distribution platform which is "normal".  A method that allows users to purchase Bitcoins or give Bitcoins as gifts in a manner which the consumer is already comfortable with. 
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 04:17:02 AM

The private key will be on the card however funds will not be loaded until activation.

Scannable QR code or on a mag stripe / swipe ?

[Update ... oops missed this.

The initial version will have no magnetic stripe

So if not mag stripe, ... where's the private key?  QR code?]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 01:51:28 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2012, 03:31:07 PM by Yankee (BitInstant)

I really like your design!

So, here's my suggestion:  Push hard to get them into a store.  Any store.  Then push for more, and more.  You'd be a huge step ahead of Bitinstant in the retail environment..!  Even if it's just a trial run in a single 7-11 store, or a single slot on the shelf at your local WalMart, or Huh  But that's what I'd be aiming for with these cards.

Already handled  Grin

Look out for our announcement in about 2 weeks and you will see how.

If is our argument to FinCEN that this key element excludes the card from FinCEN's definition of stored value products.  Well technically the term is now "prepaid access" but the same concept applies.  We are waiting for an administrative ruling from FinCEN before launching as their determination materially affects the manner in which we can distribute this product.

From a consumer perspective we hope this product is indeed very familiar to users of "normal" giftcards.  The goal is to provide a Bitcoin distribution platform which is "normal".  A method that allows users to purchase Bitcoins or give Bitcoins as gifts in a manner which the consumer is already comfortable with.  

FinCEN is not legally required to make an administrative ruling.

-Edited by request of source-

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 02:27:49 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2012, 03:18:11 PM by TangibleCryptography

Already handled  Grin

Please discuss your own service on your own thread.

One set of rules for you and another for everyone else eh?

Keep showing that professionalism you love to boast about.

However, one has already been written about Bitcoin and shared with the existing MSB's that are involved in Bitcoin (Which you are not).

You know I was just going to let it go but you just seem intent at keeping this going.  We have already indicated we aren't an MSB.  If FinCEN rules unfavorably we will register.  The cost to register is negligible.  You wear your MSB number like is some kind of great seal of approval making you one of the elite financial institutions in the world.  The reality is it requires filing paperwork and dealing with bureaucratic processes nothing more.  Even the KYC training doesn't have to be completed before being registered it just needs to be completed within six months.

I would also point out your MSB is a tin-badge.  You are an unlawful money transmitter.  At a minimum you have no license to acts as a money transmitter in the state of Virginia but you have transmitted funds (not bitcoins but US currency) on multiple occasions.  How about you get your own house in order and stop "helping" all your competitors?

The only lawful money transmitters in the state of Virginia
http://www.scc.virginia.gov/bfi/reg_inst/trans.pdf

Chapter 19 of Title 6.2 of the Code of Virginia requires the licensing of persons wishing to engage in the business of selling money orders or providing money transmission services to any consumer residing in the Commonwealth of Virginia, whether or not the person has a location in the Commonwealth. Sections 6.2-1903, 6.2-1904 and 6.2-1906 of the Code of Virginia set forth the qualifications for licensing.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 03:21:01 PM

Already handled  Grin

One set of rules for you and another for everyone else eh?

Keep showing that professionalism you love to boast about.

However, one has already been written about Bitcoin and shared with the existing MSB's that are involved in Bitcoin (Which you are not).

You know I was just going to let it go but you just seem intent at keeping this going.  We have already indicated we aren't an MSB.  If FinCEN rules unfavorably we will register.  The cost to register is negligible.  You wear your MSB number like is some kind of great seal of approval making you one of the elite financial institutions in the world.  The reality is it requires filing paperwork and dealing with bureaucratic processed.

I would also point out your MSB is a tin-badge.  You are an unlawful money transmitter.  At a minimum you have no license to acts as a money transmitter in the state of Virginia but you have transmitted funds (not bitcoins but US currency) on multiple occasions.  How about you get your own house in order and stop "helping" all your competitors.

http://www.scc.virginia.gov/bfi/reg_inst/trans.pdf

Chapter 19 of Title 6.2 of the Code of Virginia requires the licensing of persons wishing to engage in the business of selling money orders or providing money transmission services to any consumer residing in the Commonwealth of Virginia, whether or not the person has a location in the Commonwealth. Sections 6.2-1903, 6.2-1904 and 6.2-1906 of the Code of Virginia set forth the qualifications for licensing.

Hahah you need to learn to relax!

You didn't follow the rules in my thread....in fact you went as far as starting your own thread with the same title as mine (so much for rules)

As I mentioned in my last thread:

Bitinstant, LLC (and her parent company) is licensed by the New York State Superintendent of Banks pursuant to article 9-A of the Banking Law.
Bitinstant, LLC (and her parent company) is registered with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCen) as a Money Service Business (MSB).
and is also a proud member of the Financial Service Centers of America (FiSCA).

Additionally, our parent company is licensed in 10+ states.

Bitinstant is not an MTB at this time, as I mentioned earlier, I offered to share more info with you if I'm contacted (Which you didn't do)

Yes, we are fully legal and our bases are covered. We are owned by a larger financial institution (which will be made public soon) whose licensing falls on us.

-Charlie

Just ignore Yankee, he thinks he is special. As soon as he quits sucking off his sugar daddy he will not feel so special.

I don't want to get into a troll fest here, but did I deserve that from you?

What have I done to you to make myself feel special ? Who is my 'sugar daddy' that I'm sucking off of?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 03:28:28 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2012, 04:16:30 PM by TangibleCryptography

Let me make it absolutely clear:
Given your track record and attitude towards competitors, we neither desire nor need any "assistance" from you. 

Edited: to remove useless hostility.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 03:41:00 PM

TangibleCryptography,

My apologies for probably being a bit too angsty in this thread. I didn't mean to troll or hijack the thread in any way. Haven't had my coffee yet.

Obviously these cards are super cool and I look forward to buying one. OP- Feel free to contact me in private if you'd like to discuss any aspect of it.

Cheers,

Charlie

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 04:45:34 PM

How easy will this be for people in Europe? Most similar ideas I've seen so far are usually pretty US-centred.

+1 to this

The paytunia cards are coming soon..

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64980.msg762894#msg762894

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 02:55:29 PM

I am in the presence of businessmen
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: