Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:05:53 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: With the current ripple bubble(?) I wonder what one can do with it  (Read 1926 times)
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 07:37:19 PM

crypto coin tables gets a regular visit from me and today i noticed how ripple is doing totally exceptionally well. so well that i start wondering if there might actually be anything in terms of merchant adoption. is there a coinmap.org for ripple? is there a list of accepting merchants available somewhere? is there some hint on the number of users like the blockchain.info/wallet?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
ParabellumLite

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 07:41:57 PM

crypto coin tables gets a regular visit from me and today i noticed how ripple is doing totally exceptionally well. so well that i start wondering if there might actually be anything in terms of merchant adoption. is there a coinmap.org for ripple? is there a list of accepting merchants available somewhere? is there some hint on the number of users like the blockchain.info/wallet?

The only thing there is out now is simply people buying XRP and holding them. Merchant adoption is not here, nor is merchant adoption present in any significant way in Bitcoin. Investors took a look at the Ripple fundamentals and concluded that it indeed is undervalued.

As far as I can see the number of users (or wallets to be precise) out there is somewhere around 120.000, which is significantly more some time back, at which it was around 70.000/80.000 if I'm not mistaken. Divide it by some arbitrary number like 4, and you'll get somewhere close to the real number of users.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 08:38:53 PM

Ripplecharts.com shows the total number of wallets.

Is there historical data somewhere to be found, too? Is it centralized or are there several wallets to be watched and hard to count as in bitcoin?

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Merchant adoption is not here, nor is merchant adoption present in any significant way in Bitcoin.

Let me judge if I find the bitcoin merchant adoption significant or not on my own. Going by the numbers and big names I could list some data but I was asking about the data for ripple. Is there any merchant where I could pay using ripple? If yes, is there tens or millions? Is there one in my city?

ɃɃ
hypostatization

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:59:59 PM

The only thing there is out now is simply people buying XRP and holding them. Merchant adoption is not here, nor is merchant adoption present in any significant way in Bitcoin. Investors took a look at the Ripple fundamentals and concluded that it indeed is undervalued.

Ripple, by design, does not require direct merchant adoption.

Smarty Cash and Shift Payments are card services integrated with Ripple, allowing users to use Ripple network funds to make merchant payments. As Ripple is a platform of many currencies, users are not restricted to XRP for funding accounts.

SmartyCash can be loaded with any currency, for example, and is therefore of equal value to users of Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies. Ripple handles IOU conversion at the time of transferring funds card reloading. Crosscurrency payments in action.

XRP is used in the background to help make it all happen, but can for the most part be ignored by end users.

I am happy to see XRP rise in value, but fixation on XRP misses the point of Ripple Smiley

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
ParabellumLite

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 09:02:05 PM

Smarty Cash and Shift Payments are card services integrated with Ripple, allowing users to use Ripple network funds to make merchant payments. As Ripple is a platform of many currencies, users are not restricted to XRP for funding accounts.

SmartyCash can be loaded with any currency, for example, and is therefore of equal value to users of Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies. Ripple handles IOU conversion at the time of transferring funds card reloading. Crosscurrency payments in action.

XRP is used in the background to help make it all happen, but can for the most part be ignored by end users.

I am happy to see XRP rise in value, but fixation on XRP misses the point of Ripple Smiley

Of course: I'm not denying that Ripple is much more than simply 'XRP'. Only the fixation is on the price itself at the moment, as 'Ripple' to the average Bitcoiner equals 'XRP'. But it indeed is much more complicated than that.
hypostatization

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 09:32:53 PM

Of course: I'm not denying that Ripple is much more than simply 'XRP'. Only the fixation is on the price itself at the moment, as 'Ripple' to the average Bitcoiner equals 'XRP'. But it indeed is much more complicated than that.

I apologize, my tone was kind of harsh.

I appreciate reading everything you contribute.

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 11:22:14 PM

+100
I love this about XRP. Didnt the owner of Alibaba Jack Ma imply that he had invested heavily in XRP earlier this summer? I believe he answered a journalist who asked him if he had invested in cryptos with "Yes, but NOT BTC!" and this was around the same time that a few banks had stated they would work with XRP...

I believe XRP has capitalized where BTC has fallen short. BTC would be used way more widley if the average user used it without knowing, didnt need to learn all that ikky technical stuff, didnt need to go through sketchy exchanges and other points of failure...this is what XRP does for them, put very simply...I am enjoying seeing my free XRP turn into a healthy sum of $$$ carry on boys!!!
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 12:04:33 AM

I love this about XRP. Didnt the owner of Alibaba Jack Ma imply that he had invested heavily in XRP earlier this summer? I believe he answered a journalist who asked him if he had invested in cryptos with "Yes, but NOT BTC!" and this was around the same time that a few banks had stated they would work with XRP...

No, he invested heavily in doge.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:40:43 AM

He's a self made billionaire, I doubt he's retarded.
nwtrades

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:57:51 AM

A joke if he said he invested in Dogecoin over a system venture backed by about a dozen of the most high-profile Silicon Valley investment groups.  I highly doubt that really happened.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 06:19:17 AM

A joke if he said he invested in Dogecoin over a system venture backed by about a dozen of the most high-profile Silicon Valley investment groups.  I highly doubt that really happened.

A joke would be anyone investing into a coin that's entirely owned by a small handful of people.  May as well just be writing a cheque and mailing it as that is the end result because the Ripple whales are going to dump it down to $0 once the lock up agreement is over.

Far more economical to fork Ripple and to poach the employees working for them or to hire your own.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
nwtrades

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 06:51:11 AM

A joke would be anyone investing into a coin that's entirely owned by a small handful of people.  May as well just be writing a cheque and mailing it as that is the end result because the Ripple whales are going to dump it down to $0 once the lock up agreement is over.

Far more economical to fork Ripple and to poach the employees working for them or to hire your own.

It's funny how Ripple gets so much critique on valuation.  The ownership count doesn't mean anything.  Small companies owned by a handful of people have often been valued at and sold for billions in Silicon Valley.  Ever heard of YouTube, WhatsApp, Instagram, etc?
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 10:38:54 PM

I am enjoying seeing my free XRP turn into a healthy sum of $$$ carry on boys!!!

I could have picked up this free give-away, too but refused to do so as I only see it hurt bitcoin. I won't let them buy me to run around as just another XRP shill.

Yeah, I'm invested in Bitcoin but that is because I know what it is and I studied it before sending money to Japan to get some. Not because Satoshi gave it to me for free.

ɃɃ
hypostatization

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 11:16:40 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2014, 03:47:57 AM by hypostatization

I am enjoying seeing my free XRP turn into a healthy sum of $$$ carry on boys!!!

I could have picked up this free give-away, too but refused to do so as I only see it hurt bitcoin. I won't let them buy me to run around as just another XRP shill.

Yeah, I'm invested in Bitcoin but that is because I know what it is and I studied it before sending money to Japan to get some. Not because Satoshi gave it to me for free.

Is competition not a good thing for driving evolutionary innovation?

I am invested in both Bitcoin and XRP.

As I see it, Bitcoin derives a ton of value from alts. We are interfacing here in a bleeding edge testing ground of new technology and ideas. If innovations thrive, so can the newcomers that drive those innovations. And their battle hardened ideas can be absorbed back into the core Bitcoin protocol.

I do not see the rise of cryptocurrencies as a zero sum game. I think the healthiest future will be one of many competing currencies.

Bitcoin will thrive by remaining competitive.

galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 12:45:36 AM

Ripple really does let you set up your own bank.  You can use it to literally issue giszmo currency units if you want to.

I don't know why it was pretty stable at 1300 sat each and has now zoomed up, not do I know of anything special about it.  But it is pretty cool and very different from bitcoin so I see them as two different things.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:20:26 AM

..."With the current ripple bubble(?) I wonder what one can do with it "...

sell

Grin
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 11:33:12 AM

Well, you can pay using Ripple (which means using XRP but also a lot of other currencies like BTC, USD, EUR...) anywhere BTC is accepted for example, so you don't need a separate "coinmap" for Ripple, just use the existing one. If someone accepts BTC, they can be paid using Ripple too.

Similarly smallish SEPA payments can also be done using https://sepa.link/, so anywhere you can pay in Europe via bank wire, you can also pay via Ripple.

Last but not least, SnapSwap I think now offers a Ripple-enabled preloaded credit card, so whereever Visa is accepted, you can pay using Ripple too. These are a few more shops than what would be useful to put on something like coinmap... Wink

There are a few more useful things you can do, these are just the ones from the top of my head.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
hypostatization

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 11:59:58 AM

Last but not least, SnapSwap I think now offers a Ripple-enabled preloaded credit card, so whereever Visa is accepted, you can pay using Ripple too. These are a few more shops than what would be useful to put on something like coinmap... Wink

SmartyCash

Via cross-currency payment, it can be loaded with Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies.

Nice way to spend your earnings.

Shift Payments will be offering a US equivalent.

TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 12:08:03 PM

If you wanted to hurt Ripple you would have been better off claiming the free XRPs and selling them. Decrease XRPs price while helping Bitcoin at the same time.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: