Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:24:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin should have its own category, your suggestions?  (Read 1471 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:02:49 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2014, 08:19:28 PM by johnyj

For years, people are trying to categorize bitcoin based on their traditional knowledge of economy/finance, to define it as money or asset, payment networks etc...

In fact, bitcoin is a new innovation and it does not fit into any of the existing category of financial products: It is not like commodity, fiat currency, stock, bond, or any kind of securities we know so far. Words like coin/currency/money are just misleading. Bitcoin is much more superior than exiting financial products, even the name like supermoney or cyberasset does not truly describe its unique properties

As it appears, bitcoin is a value certificate on internet. In its essential, it is only a protocol that connected millions of users economically, and the spirit of the protocol is to give the users total financial security and freedom, so that no one can interfere their own finance through inflation or any other means. This unique property greatly differentiate bitcoin from any other existing financial products we know

And if it belongs to a brand new category, it will be much easier to expand without conflicting with existing financial and law framework

What should it be categorized?  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:05:52 PM

Excellent topic.

I have to think about this more but I would think that a term that could encapsulate the fact that it represents the first widespread example of a scarce digital asset would be appropriate.

wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:37:26 PM

I always felt Bitcoin was like a precious commodity, unlike currency as it is advertised. I dont think there is a need for a separate class.

247poker

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:38:25 PM

It's bitcoin, it made the category IMO
inBitweTrust

Merit: 501

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:42:19 PM

I always felt Bitcoin was like a precious commodity, unlike currency as it is advertised. I dont think there is a need for a separate class.

There are quite big differences between digital and physical commodities though, thus the need for a new class.

Possibly:

precious digital commodity
crypto-currency
precious digital asset

junglist.massive

Activity: 759
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 09:57:06 PM

really great topic

We have to remember that Bitcoin is only top of the ice mountain. Whole blockchain technology will change internet and our lives. We're on the beginning of internet 2.0 era where jobs like solicitor, institutes like banks will be no need anymore.
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 11:42:17 PM

Currency's value is essentially decided by the trust. Bitcoin moved that trust from a centralized organization to a transparent computer network, users never need to rely on any authorities, this is a fundamental change in trust model for online payment networks and digital assets

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 12:10:59 AM
Last edit: November 28, 2014, 12:43:46 AM by freedomno1

For years, people are trying to categorize bitcoin based on their traditional knowledge of economy/finance, to define it as money or asset, payment networks etc...

In fact, bitcoin is a new innovation and it does not fit into any of the existing category of financial products:

And if it belongs to a brand new category, it will be much easier to expand without conflicting with existing financial and law framework

An interesting topic, in my opinion it does belong as its own category class under distributed finance
A type of finance like hashcash (Adam Beck) with transactions secured over a network, it would be different from traditional or e-based commerce like paypal because of this distributed nature.

So as a categorical definition in the distributed networking area with the implications of that being able to use the distributed network for more than transferring units of value, but information security etc all in one package.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Nerazzura

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 10:53:42 AM

Bitcoin "do not include into the category of currency". the bank can not be a broker transactions or open an account Bitcoin virtual unit was recently launched five years ago tersebut.Jika Bitcoin transactions are used for money laundering that could be categorized as a crime, but there is no law that defines exactly Bitcoin Sad
RealKruncha

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 12:33:37 PM

I like to think of bitcoin as 'digital contracts', which brings the power of the block-chain more in to focus.

K.
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 10:53:25 PM

In fact, bitcoin is a new innovation and it does not fit into any of the existing category of financial products:

An interesting topic, in my opinion it does belong as its own category class under distributed finance
A type of finance like hashcash (Adam Beck) with transactions secured over a network, it would be different from traditional or e-based commerce like paypal because of this distributed nature.

So as a categorical definition in the distributed networking area with the implications of that being able to use the distributed network for more than transferring units of value, but information security etc all in one package.

Great, distributed finance seems a good term!

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 09:06:44 AM

In fact, bitcoin is a new innovation and it does not fit into any of the existing category of financial products: It is not like commodity, fiat currency, stock, bond, or any kind of securities we know so far. Words like coin/currency/money are just misleading. Bitcoin is much more superior than exiting financial products, even the name like supermoney or cyberasset does not truly describe its unique properties

As it appears, bitcoin is a value certificate on internet. In its essential, it is only a protocol that connected millions of users economically, and the spirit of the protocol is to give the users total financial security and freedom, so that no one can interfere their own finance through inflation or any other means. This unique property greatly differentiate bitcoin from any other existing financial products we know

For bitcoiners it has its own category, for the people in power making new categories is costly and means more work.  Same thing goes when dyslexics used to just be known as stupid or people in war suffering with post traumatic stress disorder got labelled as just having shell shock.

If you want your own special category in the system it takes a lot of fighting for it and time.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 09:10:42 AM

Tim Swanson does a nice kind of ontology. I like "a money-like informational commodity." It has a nice ring to it Smiley

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:07:13 PM

bit coin

bit - digital

coin - currency

..."digital currency"...

I think your overthinking this

as far as I know it was a currency to replace the issues with the GFC of 2009

hence the name bitcoin

yes it can do a whole lot more but essentially the blockchain was created to produce a currency

Grin
El Emperador

Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 10:13:44 AM

Very nice topic!

I think one among the many strenghts of Bitcoin is that it can't be precisely categorized... or, better to say, it can be what its user wants it to be. Someone could consider Bitcoin an asset, another one a currency, etc.

For me Bitcoin is mainly an online payment system.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████