Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:50:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to short Ripple  (Read 1829 times)
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 02:10:15 AM

Looking to open a really godless monster of a short position, 20x leveraged. Can we do that yet? I would really like to short Ripple right now. I cannot stress this enough

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Brmaster

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 03:23:54 AM

20x leverage is nothing, 50x/100x/200x would coming soon.
Useli Violent

Activity: 68

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 01:15:19 AM

No, you can't.

██████████ YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 01:25:34 AM

No, you can't.

That's a damn shame that

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Useli Violent

Activity: 68

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 01:27:47 AM

Yup - so many alt/shit/whatever coins we would love to short, but can't.

██████████ YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
God27

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

The 4th industrial revolution!

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 02:13:46 AM

You can short BTC on ripple...kind of ironic

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 01:51:29 PM

I suspect you want to short XRP, not "Ripple"...

What can you offer as collateral?
Why would anyone give you XRP (or anything else) with only 5% collateral in the first place (which is what 20x leverage means)? This means you'd likely have to find someone with a lot of XRP or at least with a lot of buying power who trades for you.
What's the time frame of your position and how will you handle margin calls (e.g. extend your position)?
Last but not least: How much interest do you offer for that position?

Of course it is possible to come to an OTC agreement with someone to short/long whatever you want, you'd need to make a concrete offer though, that likely has to contain answers to the questions above. Also it would likely help to sign the offer with a BTC address of yours that actually contains some coins, depending on the size of your position, nobody will bother to go through all that hassle for a lousy 10 USD profit.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 04:28:06 PM

Why not wait until it's natively supported? They just released the smart contracts API Codius which can be used for such a thing.
You'd even have a chance of turning a profit by then.

I'd even offer to be a counterparty, but I'll want USD as collateral.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 05:57:03 PM

This alone should tell you that Central Exchange do this on daily basis they take the coins which are on them and manipulate the price to get profit out of the coin. While giving the same coins back to the holder with no respond they would ever have done this.

The first part was correct (though a bit redundant, I would guess OP already knows what shorting is and how it works, if he requests insane leverages like 1:20), this part is just... confused. Also I don't really get how something that (manually!) tracks NXT prices should enable OP to short XRP.

BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:07:09 PM

I suspect you want to short XRP, not "Ripple"...

What can you offer as collateral?
Why would anyone give you XRP (or anything else) with only 5% collateral in the first place (which is what 20x leverage means)? This means you'd likely have to find someone with a lot of XRP or at least with a lot of buying power who trades for you.
What's the time frame of your position and how will you handle margin calls (e.g. extend your position)?
Last but not least: How much interest do you offer for that position?

Of course it is possible to come to an OTC agreement with someone to short/long whatever you want, you'd need to make a concrete offer though, that likely has to contain answers to the questions above. Also it would likely help to sign the offer with a BTC address of yours that actually contains some coins, depending on the size of your position, nobody will bother to go through all that hassle for a lousy 10 USD profit.

I honestly didn't expect such a thoughtful response. So...thanks for that Smiley

Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 11:07:36 AM

So... what's you offer now?

BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 11:13:08 AM

So... what's you offer now?

This was days ago. 'XRP' already dumped Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: