Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 08:03:51 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are all altcoins divisible upto eighth decimal places ?  (Read 1338 times)
BitcoinExchangeIndia.com (OP)

Activity: 311
Merit: 264

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:42:21 PM

^^^Title speaks for itself...

belmonty

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:00:37 PM

No pennies (CENT) is not divisible. You cannot send less than one CENT.
BanditryAndLoot

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:02:03 PM

XMR has 12 decimal places

And it's only at the end of fall, that we discover it was naught but the wind that knew when one particular leaf was to fall from one particular tree, only to land in one distinct spot .. to be left for an eternity, and waste its time in a wait sublime. C0A2A1C4
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:48:05 PM

We need more.. since people need really to do new coins with Billion of coin cap or even Trillion.
You can see that these have a big problem to trade at 0,00000001 statoshi

Is 12 decimal places the highest one among all cryptos ?

iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 07:50:13 PM

BALLS and MMXIV are both 6 as well

poncom

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:09:50 PM

We need more.. since people need really to do new coins with Billion of coin cap or even Trillion.

Is 100 Trillion coins enough? One sat would buy you a million.

I'm so tired of seeing so many CrapCoins pop up everyday and nobody at least admits their coin is total dogshit.  So I'm Launching a new coin in hopes this will jump the CrapCoin Shark:  SHIT.

ShitCoin will be the biggest POS coin you've ever seen.  No, not Proof of Stake, that's absurd, but "Piece Of Shit" coin.

--  100 Trillion coins - that's as shitty and absurdly ridiculous as any CrapCoin can possibility ever get.

BanditryAndLoot

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:19:12 PM

What? Are you aware of how it's implemented?

The variable set to regulate that has a range of 0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 bits available when unsigned.

So, if 8 decimal places were taken in XMR, the number of coins would be 184 billion ..

These aren't numbers that are just picked to impress people LOL .. it's a number set to maximize the variable range efficiently

Do you even read the source? Cheesy

And it's only at the end of fall, that we discover it was naught but the wind that knew when one particular leaf was to fall from one particular tree, only to land in one distinct spot .. to be left for an eternity, and waste its time in a wait sublime. C0A2A1C4
BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:40:09 PM

The variable set to regulate that has a range of 0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 bits available when unsigned.

So, if 8 decimal places were taken in XMR, the number of coins would be 184 billion ..

These aren't numbers that are just picked to impress people LOL .. it's a number set to maximize the variable range efficiently

Can u plz tell me in short, what is the highest no. of decimal places that any altcoin allow ?

BanditryAndLoot

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 09:28:19 PM

Can u plz tell me in short, what is the highest no. of decimal places that any altcoin allow ?

The serialization is different between satoshi and cryptonote codebases. In short, an infinite number of coins/decimal places can be created using as many variables as you would like .. it's just software.

In long: If the number of variables change to allow more decimal places, serious design considerations must be considered ..

Cryptonote uses just an unsinged 64 bit integer for their coin supply, I'm guessing to save as much space as possible during serialization, while also introducing less error handling techniques for the entire value .. so having more than 184xxxx...xxx indivisible units will require some pretty serious programming work to get past that limit .. so for cryptonote I'd guess you could logically move that decimal point to having .184xxx...xxx units ... so it could have a max of 20 decimal places .. but less than one coin ever to exist. I don't know for sure though ... maybe you could have .00000..0000184xxx..xxx units? Pretty sure that's just how it appears to you anyways .. but asking one of the developers working on cn software would give you a much better answer there Cheesy

I'm sorry, I'm not nearly as familiar with the satoshi codebase as the cn codebase .. you'll definitely find a better answer to that question in the bitcoin technical section.

Actually, that's a pretty good question. If you don't ask it there I will Cheesy

Add: I think one of the things on the agenda for the bitcoin foundation recently had something to do with modfiying the decimal places to interface with existing trading software with real markets .. so maybe look around for stuff talking about that as well.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 09:38:33 PM

The serialization is different between satoshi and cryptonote codebases. In short, an infinite number of coins/decimal places can be created using as many variables as you would like .. it's just software.

In long: If the number of variables change to allow more decimal places, serious design considerations must be considered ..

Cryptonote uses just an unsinged 64 bit integer for their coin supply, I'm guessing to save as much space as possible during serialization, while also introducing less error handling techniques for the entire value .. so having more than 184xxxx...xxx indivisible units will require some pretty serious programming work to get past that limit .. so for cryptonote I'd guess you could logically move that decimal point to having .184xxx...xxx units ... so it could have a max of 20 decimal places .. but less than one coin ever to exist. I don't know for sure though ... maybe you could have .00000..0000184xxx..xxx units? Pretty sure that's just how it appears to you anyways .. but asking one of the developers working on cn software would give you a much better answer there Cheesy

I'm sorry, I'm not nearly as familiar with the satoshi codebase as the cn codebase .. you'll definitely find a better answer to that question in the bitcoin technical section.

Actually, that's a pretty good question. If you don't ask it there I will Cheesy

Add: I think one of the things on the agenda for the bitcoin foundation recently had something to do with modfiying the decimal places to interface with existing trading software with real markets .. so maybe look around for stuff talking about that as well.

I'm not sure why r u pushing me to bitcoin tech section ? I'm well aware of the fact that the current bitcoin protocol standard allows upto eighth decimal places. But I am a novice about Alts. So, I want to know, what is the highest decimal places an Alt coin protocol allow at the moment ? Software may allow a far far longer range. But that is not what I am asking. What is the highest decimal places allowed by any Alt protocol standard ?

BanditryAndLoot

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 09:43:14 PM

I'm not sure why r u pushing me to bitcoin tech section ? I'm well aware of the fact that the current bitcoin protocol standard allows upto eighth decimal places. But I am a novice about Alts. So, I want to know, what is the highest decimal places an Alt coin protocol allow at the moment ? Software may allow a far far longer range. But that is not what I am asking. What is the highest decimal places allowed by any Alt protocol standard ?

That was why I added that part about the bitcoin foundation .. so they actually answer you instead of brush you off and move your post for talking about altcoins.

Most altcoins are based on satoshi codebase, and I don't know your answer.

Hell, I'll do it and send you a message if they talk about it Smiley

gustav

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 01:40:10 AM

uno has 9 decimals
BitcoinExchangeIndia.com (OP)

Activity: 311
Merit: 264

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 09:44:05 PM

So XMR is 12 and UNO is 9. Apart from them all are within 8 ?

100bitcoin

Activity: 860
Merit: 423

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2019, 08:22:56 PM

If I am not wrong, using lightning network, one can send less than 1 satoshi.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: