Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:24:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Fee Bug in 0.6.2 OS X  (Read 1097 times)
doobadoo (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:54:16 PM

I set my fee in preferences at 0.002 BTC (2 milibits).  But for some reason when i tried to move my whole balance to a new address, and i reduced the amount by 2 mBTC, the client told me the fee was 0.004 and i didn't have sufficient funds.  

So then i reduce the sending amount to 4 mBTC less than my total balance and the TX goes thru...BUT then I see the whole balance didn't go, it honored my setting of 2 mBTC...leaving my balance at 2 mBTC because I provided for 4 mBTC, but clearly the client only took 2 mBTC.  This is really annoying!

Also, I recommend the fee amount show on the send window so you can check or uncheck for each transaction.

Example, click on the send coins header, then put the fee thingy dialog box right next to the amount box.  Add a third at the far right that shows total cost including fee.  That way its all clear:  Send Amount, Fee Amount, Total Cost.

THe preferences should control the default fee amount filled in on your "send coins" transaction ticket.  But for various reasons you may want to include a fee, a bigger one, a smaller one or none at all for any given tx.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 07:00:52 PM

I'm always getting raped by these fee's no matter the size amount I am sending.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 07:21:37 PM

This is really annoying!
It isn't a bug, it is a feature. Satoshi Bitcoin client uses a stochastic knapsack solver to select the coins and compute the associated fee.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
doobadoo (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 11:41:08 PM

Its still annoying, the implementation has to change.   Why is there an option in the prefs to set a standard fee?  Why does it tell me that the fee is double what i set.  why is it when i actually send the tx, it includes the fee i specified in prefs, leaving me wiht 1 fee worth of balance.

This has got to be a bug.  Please re-read what i posted!

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 12:26:02 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 12:53:51 AM by 2112

Its still annoying, the implementation has to change.
You can plead with the developement team to implement a flag like GCC has to make the stochastic algorithms reproducible:

-frandom-seed=string

Edit: And I have to immediately correct myself. The results will be reproducible within the interblock time window. Once the new block arrives the fee computation will change again. Maybe also another option will be required to temporarily pause the local updates of the number of confirmations in the wallet:

-fpause-blockchain=chain-height

Anyone has any other suggestions how to make Satoshi client reproducibly testable? Maybe the pausing should be done also through the RPC interface to allow unpausing?

Why ... ?  Why ... .  why ... .

This has got to be a bug.  Please re-read what i posted!
Immature time-wasting crank with learning disability detected. I'm now sorry that I engaged in discussion with you.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
doobadoo (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 02:02:53 AM

Why ... ?  Why ... .  why ... .

This has got to be a bug.  Please re-read what i posted!
Immature time-wasting crank with learning disability detected. I'm now sorry that I engaged in discussion with you.

I'm just trying to report a bug.  No need to insult me.  I've reproduced the incident.  For some reason when txing the whole balance, the client seems to 2x the estimate of the fee needed.  When you reduce the tx size from an entire balance to be less than 2x the fee it sends the tx.  But leaves 1x the default fee.

When dropping the fee to zero, it usually says that you're over the size limit and suggests a fee of .001.  When you reduce the send balance by the prompted amount and consent to the fee, guess what, it works.  Whole balance now gone.

If you tx your coins to cold storage you might see it.  Then again maybe its only in the OS X client.  Any way you slice it there is something goofy about the fee calculations.  They are off when trying to send the whole balance.  Sat here and played with it twice.   

I dont know what you mean by pleading with devs etc.  in fact playing wiht this and posting is wasting much more time than the bug would ever take outa my life.   You should be thankful i'm trying to help.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 02:23:25 AM

but you can't report a bug that is a feature and part of the protocol. That is like trying to report a bug that your taxes are too much, if you made a lot of money. BTW GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND TRY IT SOMETIME!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: