Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:46:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser Bitcoin Miner (No setup, no download, no configuration)  (Read 122936 times)
Viro

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 01:44:07 PM

For me it would be the anonymity and the simplicity. Much easier to simply go to a url which already includes my address and start mining right away, without the need to manage an account.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 01:50:48 PM

While novel, there is no way this could be profitable for anybody.

1000 hashes per second?  This is 600,000 times slower than an ATI Radeon 5970.  The power consumed would vastly exceed anything this could produce.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
donny (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 01:55:21 PM

While novel, there is no way this could be profitable for anybody.

1000 hashes per second?  This is 600,000 times slower than an ATI Radeon 5970.  The power consumed would vastly exceed anything this could produce.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear - if it says 1000, you're getting 1000 kilo hashes per second, so 1 Mhash/sec. As CPU miners go, it is slower than one of the C miners, but that's the tradeoff of having it work from the browser.
khal

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:03:41 PM

I'm curious why you guys would like that feature - is it just to make it easy to stay anonymous? If you're worried about that then until I have this feature you can give a fake/temporary email - I don't validate it, it's only used to email a link to reset your password in case you forget.

Are there other reasons? It's helpful as a developer to know why users want a certain feature, to make sure I give you what you want.
I own several websites where people can donate (no BTC for now). It would be a simple way for them to donate this way and add BTC donation at the same time.
More simple => more users.
donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:15:19 PM

I'm curious why you guys would like that feature - is it just to make it easy to stay anonymous? If you're worried about that then until I have this feature you can give a fake/temporary email - I don't validate it, it's only used to email a link to reset your password in case you forget.

Are there other reasons? It's helpful as a developer to know why users want a certain feature, to make sure I give you what you want.
I own several websites where people can donate (no BTC for now). It would be a simple way for them to donate this way and add BTC donation at the same time.
More simple => more users.

You're right, that would be an extremely simple way to let your visitors donate BTC. It wouldn't really cost them anything, just a bit of CPU time.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:28:31 PM

i would totally embed this in my websites... Tongue

ZOMG Moo!
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:29:56 PM

A new way to fund popular sites? Think Digg and every user contributes as long as he's on the page Cheesy

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:34:29 PM

A new way to fund popular sites? Think Digg and every user contributes as long as he's on the page Cheesy

That would be awesome. I'm going to have to work on that tonight...

It would be like ads, except the website owner gets paid for having a website that people want to stay on, rather than for simple number of pageviews / click throughs.
khal

Activity: 540

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:37:34 PM

It would be like ads, except the website owner gets paid for having a website that people want to stay on, rather than for simple number of pageviews / click throughs.
If you want to use my idea, you will need to pay a license :p

Edit : mail sent
donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:39:51 PM

If you want to use my idea, you will need to pay a license :p

How about I let you be one of the first to use it (do you have a website?).

For people who are interested in this, being able to embed a miner in your website so that your visitors generate BTC for you, either reply here, PM me, or send me an email at donny@bitcoinplus.com and I'll let you know when it's ready.
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:43:24 PM

Uh I'd love that, please let me know if you need beta-testers Cheesy

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Convery

Activity: 966
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:44:14 PM

I don't know about yous but this seems wrong for a single 5850..

But I have to ask, you say it's PPS and while the page only takes 330Mhash to prevent lag the payout amount should go up after 5 min.. Or maybe I've mistaken it for a profit counter in which case you should add one..

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:51:20 PM

I don't know about yous but this seems wrong for a single 5850..

This site is strictly a CPU miner at this time and doesn't support GPUs.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:52:48 PM

If it takes 5 hours to produce 0.0003 BTC

Then 33 x 5 or 165 hours to produce 1 bitcent

Which is worth less than a dime

Average computer uses 200 watts

That's 1 kWh every 5 hours (200W = 0.2kW; 0.2kW * 5h = 1kWh)

Or 33 kWh to produce a dime

Most people pay more than a dime per kWh

So this is a way to make someone else pay $3+ to earn you a dime

Why not just have them mail you their empty soda cans ... They will pay $3 in postage and then you can go recycle them for a dime

The economics are the same

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:57:56 PM

A thing that pays webmasters for the amount of time people spend on their pages without depending on the user clicking on advertisements, nor polluting the contents of the page and not even depending on a central provider? Dude, that's fucking awesome!!! Cheesy

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:58:31 PM

But I have to ask, you say it's PPS and while the page only takes 330Mhash to prevent lag the payout amount should go up after 5 min.. Or maybe I've mistaken it for a profit counter in which case you should add one..

The payout amount is the current payout, not total. If you want your total, register an account and go to the "my account" section.
donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:00:58 PM

If it takes 5 hours to produce 0.0003 BTC

Then 33 x 5 or 165 hours to produce 1 bitcent

Which is worth less than a dime

Average computer uses 200 watts

That's 1 kWh every 5 hours (200W = 0.2kW; 0.2kW * 5h = 1kWh)

Or 33 kWh to produce a dime

Most people pay more than a dime per kWh

So this is a way to make someone else pay $3+ to earn you a dime

Why not just have them mail you their empty soda cans ... They will pay $3 in postage and then you can go recycle them for a dime

The economics are the same

That's based on the assumption that people are running this on a computer that would otherwise be off. It's pretty good about CPU priority, my computer is perfectly usable while this is generating.

What's the math behind an idle computer and a CPU maxed computer?

And yes, compared to GPU mining CPU mining is inefficient - but this is something that could get people interested in bitcoin who otherwise wouldn't take the time to set up a miner. I'm thinking of this as a kind of entry-level miner (at least until there are ways of doing GPU mining from the browser).
elcasey

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:04:14 PM

This isn't useful for me as I'm doing all GPU mining, but well done on a great idea and good implementation! Good luck with this project!
donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:29:27 PM

This isn't useful for me as I'm doing all GPU mining, but well done on a great idea and good implementation! Good luck with this project!

Thanks Smiley

You've got your bitcointoss website, would you be interested in putting an embeddable miner on there?

Edit: Just realized it's not yours, you've just got an affiliate link. Nevermind.
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:48:01 PM

I really like the idea and overall a pretty good implementation for a first go around. GPU Mining support would be a huge plus, but improving the performance of the current CPU mining implementation really needs to be done.

Using your site, my Core2Duo 2.2ghz gets about 660KHash/sec. Using Ufasoft's SSE2 miner, it gets ~5,500KHash/sec. I know that you are using Java and so can't exactly write to the instruction level of the hardware, but there should be some sort of optimizations that can help out at least a little bit.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: