Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:15:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser Bitcoin Miner (No setup, no download, no configuration)  (Read 122930 times)
donny (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:55:32 PM

I really like the idea and overall a pretty good implementation for a first go around. GPU Mining support would be a huge plus, but improving the performance of the current CPU mining implementation really needs to be done.

Using your site, my Core2Duo 2.2ghz gets about 660KHash/sec. Using Ufasoft's SSE2 miner, it gets ~5,500KHash/sec. I know that you are using Java and so can't exactly write to the instruction level of the hardware, but there should be some sort of optimizations that can help out at least a little bit.

I'm surprised the difference is that great. On my laptop, dual core 2.2 ghz I get 1700khash/sec using jgarzik's CPU miner, compared to 800-900khash/sec with my miner. Which is a lot less, but not as bad as you have it. There's a similar performance penalty on my desktop, a quad core - the applet is about 40% slower than a C miner.

Unfortunately raw math is one of Java's few weak spots in terms of speed. I'm not sure how much faster I can make it. I'm just happy of the performance compared to a JS miner (I wrote a demo one and was getting more like 5khash/sec vs 850khash/sec with my applet)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 04:11:19 PM

ulfasoft i get 4mhash/s per core.. through this im getting 800khash-1600khash

ZOMG Moo!
donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 04:22:50 PM

One thing which could contribute a bit to the slower speeds: I deliberately set the thread priority to be the minimum. I wanted to make this so that you could run it all day, while you were actually using your computer (even gaming) and not notice that it was running.
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:12:28 PM

One thing which could contribute a bit to the slower speeds: I deliberately set the thread priority to be the minimum. I wanted to make this so that you could run it all day, while you were actually using your computer (even gaming) and not notice that it was running.

The numbers I'm quoting from Ufasoft's miner are with the process priority set to "Below Normal".

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 05:16:09 PM

What's the math behind an idle computer and a CPU maxed computer?

I have a Kill-A-Watt meter... my iMac takes on another 35 watts as soon as I click "start generating" on the website.

In Safari it says it gets about 2500 khash, a share every 0.48 hours, which is impressive on its own for something running in a browser.

So a share measuring the CPU uptick only, is 0.035 kW * 0.48h = 0.017 kWh

If a share is worth 0.0024 cents and the 2500 khash is sustainable, its payout is similar to the power cost, so it is "profitable" to the user only if they are managing to stick somebody else with the costs.  (Something it shares in common with common crime)

Notably, this rate is higher than what others are reporting, it could be that Java for the Mac runs better (it's an i5 3.1GHz quad core processor).  Running this in IE / Safari for PC (in a virtual machine on the same Mac) consumes the same power but yields far less output.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:49:36 PM

What's the math behind an idle computer and a CPU maxed computer?

I have a Kill-A-Watt meter... my iMac takes on another 35 watts as soon as I click "start generating" on the website.

In Safari it says it gets about 2500 khash, a share every 0.48 hours, which is impressive on its own for something running in a browser.

So a share measuring the CPU uptick only, is 0.035 kW * 0.48h = 0.017 kWh

If a share is worth 0.0024 cents and the 2500 khash is sustainable, its payout is similar to the power cost, so it is "profitable" to the user only if they are managing to stick somebody else with the costs.  (Something it shares in common with common crime)

Notably, this rate is higher than what others are reporting, it could be that Java for the Mac runs better (it's an i5 3.1GHz quad core processor).  Running this in IE / Safari for PC (in a virtual machine on the same Mac) consumes the same power but yields far less output.

I'd guess your hash rate is higher because you've got a fairly good processor - quad core 3.1 GHz is quite nice. You're getting about the same hash per total clock speed as I am (my 850/(2.2ghz * 2 cores) = 193khash, your 2500/(3.1*4) = 201)

Using your math for 0.017 kWh per share, I get the break-even price to be 14.1 cents per kWh. Where I am (Ontario) the off-peak cost is 6 cents, the peak-hour cost was recently increased to 10 cents - either way it's profitable.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 08:38:11 PM

One word:

WebGL.

It's the logical next step, and might provide some browser based GPU Mining for the masses.
donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 09:20:04 PM

One word:

WebGL.

It's the logical next step, and might provide some browser based GPU Mining for the masses.

Absolutely. I'd love to get that working, I'll try and spend some time on it. It might be tough to have it be unobtrusive like the miner is right now, but I'll try.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 10:25:04 PM

This Browser based miner would be a great thing to introduce people to Bitcoin mining.

I suppose it would have to say, "OK, you're mining now, although you aren't really earning anything significant", and the person might earn a share or two after they leave it on for a while.  Just having crossed the mental hurdle of being successful in mining (even if negligibly) helps promote BTC.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 10:43:49 PM

Very nice!  Grin

donny (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:08:52 PM

This Browser based miner would be a great thing to introduce people to Bitcoin mining.

I suppose it would have to say, "OK, you're mining now, although you aren't really earning anything significant", and the person might earn a share or two after they leave it on for a while.  Just having crossed the mental hurdle of being successful in mining (even if negligibly) helps promote BTC.

Yup, that's precisely what I'm going for, introducing people to bitcoin and increasing the popularity. Later on hopefully I can add a way for them to earn more significant amounts.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 01:10:54 AM

Yup, that's precisely what I'm going for, introducing people to bitcoin and increasing the popularity. Later on hopefully I can add a way for them to earn more significant amounts.

While someone is mining, perhaps there can be a "now that you're mining" FAQ... e.g.

Q. Now how exactly am I helping the network? Why would someone want to pay me to do this?

A. By running this program, you are helping to provide part of the decentralized database that allows Bitcoin to operate and track all the transactions without needing a bank.  The database, which is an electronic journal of all Bitcoin transactions ever made, is spread across the computers, or "nodes", of the network.  Nodes can join and leave the network any time without any harm to the network.  You get paid because you collect part of the fees people pay to use Bitcoin, and while the currency is still new and in its distribution phase, you get to receive a small portion of the new currency as it is automatically distributed.  The pay from web browser mining isn't very significant (Bitcoin's fees are very low after all), but some people earn significant income from mining by investing in specialized equipment, using software that can earn shares very quickly.

Q. Why is this increasing my CPU usage to 100%?

A. One of the most important aspects of a trustworthy Bitcoin network is having a single reliable accurate transaction record.  The way the Bitcoin network protects itself from fraudulent transactions, and from network node operators wanting to cheat, is with a sort of voting mechanism, where the CPU time is spent creating "votes" for the correct transaction records.  Your CPU time is being spent creating records that vote for the transaction history as seen by this website's operator, who is running an honest network node that votes only for valid transactions.  Quite simply, everyone like you who donates CPU time to the network helps to make it difficult for someone to create fraudulent Bitcoin transactions, and benefits the integrity of Bitcoin and everyone who uses it.

lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 02:26:42 AM

The only problem with the advent of browser miners is that if they become really widespread, no one will be able to break even with electricity, pending a large increase in btc price.

Awesome awesome idea though. Do you have any experience with web design, OP? I am wanting someone to code modules for my sites that aggregate data and spit it out in feeds similar to twitter, and I want them to look real attractive.

aahzmundus

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:28:00 AM

This is simply amazing, I would love a secure url feature to pass out to friends.

Anonymous

May 19, 2011, 05:56:36 AM

Id love to have an embeddable miner at witcoin.com with any proceeds deposited to peoples accounts there.

Smiley
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 06:52:39 AM

Holy crap this is now on Slashdot:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/05/19/0149234/Mint-It-Yourself-With-a-Browser-Based-Bitcoin-Miner

lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 07:17:32 AM

lol did you post that yourself ?     jk i wouldn't care if you did.

Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 07:38:56 AM

lol did you post that yourself ?     jk i wouldn't care if you did.

No actually, a friend IRL actually told me about it, and he's not even on this forum yet as far as I know.

BitcoinsWallet

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 11:23:03 AM

Great proyect!

I'm testing too...  Grin
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:41:04 PM

According to the Generate Bitcoin page,

Payouts this session = 11

But, when I go to My Account and look at the transaction list, I only see 10 transactions which include 4 payouts (shares) that I generated in a previous session. So, it is only display 6 of the 11 payouts reported for this session.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: