Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:24:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction fee? WTF?  (Read 3907 times)
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:00:34 PM

Lock-in: learn about what it means. In bitcoin world, it is very difficult to enforce lock-in to your customers, even with hosted wallets, payment processors etc. Switching is always pretty easy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 03:09:23 PM

Hosted wallets, account hubs.

In the future I see the blockchain used mainly for inter-bank compensation. Bitcoin will be the foundation for overlay protocols, its raw form wouldn't be used by housewives.
Right.
Absolutely, I don't really see why the blockchain should be the one-size-fits-all answer for all money transfer use cases. Now if your opinion is different 'Right' isn't really going to cut it Smiley

Picture it this way, fast-forward ten years, blockchain is overcrowded, Bitcoin transactions will be much more expensive and slower. What will be exchanged will be Bitcoin certificates, not actual Bitcoins. History repeats itself. But this time you'll have a the choice, this time you will be able to safely store your digital gold yourself, you'll keep some money in an e-wallet and your savings in your brainwallet.

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:15:50 PM

What will be exchanged will be Bitcoin certificates, not actual Bitcoins.

Does anyone know if Open Transactions is flexible enough to support multi-signature transactions?

Anyways, even if OT itself doesn't, it shouldn't be impossible to develop some sort of "certificate protocol" that does support it. So yeah, you're right davout, multi-sig is not incompatible with shared wallets. Intrabank transfers could be done outside of the blockchain - with the security of multi-signature. The blockchain would probably be used only for bank compensations.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:21:41 PM

Well... If Bitcoin is not supposed to replace cash, then there is no a problem.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 05:07:53 PM

I have real cash in my pocket and I don't need to pay anything to a 3rd party when give money to someone. Imagine we jumped 20 years ahead and now miners get profit only from transaction fees, so it's useless to send any coins without fee. Usual things become quite complicated and this is a problem for housewives. They don't care about technical issues, they just need to give some "cash" to a son so he could buy a dinner in the school...

Any ways to solve this problem?

It is technically not correct that the cash in your pocket carries no "fee." The production of that cash (especially issuing new cash due to wear and tear) carries a real cost. Currently that cost is socialized by the government so you don't see it, but it is there.

There is always a cost for moving information or materials around. However, Bitcoin provides a manner far cheaper than anything else for moving money.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 05:16:35 PM

I have real cash in my pocket and I don't need to pay anything to a 3rd party when give money to someone.

Every payment method has costs.  With bitcoin, you as the customer are paying the costs directly.  With cash and credit cards, the merchant is increasing the price you pay for your purchase so that the costs of handling that cash or card payment is included in that price.

How does that cash you pay to a retailer end up being used by the retailer to pay the bills?   Perhaps an amoured car courier (e.g., Brinks truck) comes to pick up the merchant's cash deposit.   Who pays for that?   The consumer does, because the merchant adds the cost of the Brinks truck fee to the selling prices.

Taking this into account, the options at the counter might be:

Your purchase total: $50 USD
Pay with credit card: $50  [merchant pays 2.75% fee to Square])
Pay with cash: $49  [merchant passes on some of the savings from not having to pay Square]
Pay with bitcoin: $48.50 [merchant passes on some of the savings from not having to pay either the Brinks truck or Square]

Do you still see a problem that you are asked to pay a transaction fee that is valued about one penny?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 05:24:53 PM

I don't mind to pay fee. But I mind to do it a way that makes my brain to explode. Real cash is very handy. Bitcoin requires to have 100+ IQ.
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 05:33:11 PM

I don't mind to pay fee. But I mind to do it a way that makes my brain to explode. Real cash is very handy. Bitcoin requires to have 100+ IQ.
Bitcoin is 3 years old. Clients will surely become simpler to use in the next few years.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 05:59:14 PM

Bitcoin may not be perfect, but it most definitely beats the snot out of paypal as a virtual wallet.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:37:59 PM

My bank charges me a small but aggravating fee every month for me to store my cash with them so that I can withdraw it at an ATM every so often.  Apparently they charge this for all their customers who don't have large balance, rather than based on having a 100+ IQ.  But we all seem to accept it and keep paying.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:29:48 PM

I have real cash in my pocket and I don't need to pay anything to a 3rd party when give money to someone. Imagine we jumped 20 years ahead and now miners get profit only from transaction fees, so it's useless to send any coins without fee. Usual things become quite complicated and this is a problem for housewives. They don't care about technical issues, they just need to give some "cash" to a son so he could buy a dinner in the school...

Any ways to solve this problem?

http://www.bitbills.com/

goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 09:31:23 PM

The fee you pay on fiat cash is the taxes combined with banking fees.

Everything has a production and processing fee in it. It's just hidden in different ways.

BTW: Aren't tx fees actually a bit too low (I don't mine, so it doesn't really bother me, but wouldn't a µBTC or so be a little more sensible especially with the generation revenues being halved soon)?

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 10:17:08 PM

The fee you pay on fiat cash is the taxes combined with banking fees.

Everything has a production and processing fee in it. It's just hidden in different ways.

BTW: Aren't tx fees actually a bit too low (I don't mine, so it doesn't really bother me, but wouldn't a µBTC or so be a little more sensible especially with the generation revenues being halved soon)?

Really there isn't a market for transaction fees yet.  Most of the "fees" paid now are really anti-spam measures that just happen to use the fee mechanism.  But the system is inching closer and closer to supporting price discovery via market forces.  SoonTM...

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 10:56:05 PM

Cash is not as easy as you say. You can't just have $50 cash and pay for something that costs $50. You have to pay sales tax, too. So, if you want buy something with $50, it has to cost $46.19 so that you can add the $3.81 in sales tax to make it an even $50 (CA sales tax is very high). Or, you can buy something for $50 if have another $4.13 with you.

You think that is simpler than a 0.01 BTC transaction fee?

BTW, your "Bitcoin requires to have 100+ IQ" comment is funny because a 100 IQ is average. Only half the people in the world have a 100+ IQ, but the comment still made made me chuckle.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 11:09:54 PM

Cash is not as easy as you say. You can't just have $50 cash and pay for something that costs $50. You have to pay sales tax, too. So, if you want buy something with $50, it has to cost $46.19 so that you can add the $3.81 in sales tax to make it an even $50 (CA sales tax is very high). Or, you can buy something for $50 if have another $4.13 with you.

You think that is simpler than a 0.01 BTC transaction fee?

BTW, your "Bitcoin requires to have 100+ IQ" comment is funny because a 100 IQ is average. Only half the people in the world have a 100+ IQ, but the comment still made made me chuckle.

yea, i had a little jaw drop on the "100+ IQ" comment... if you're struggling with below average IQ, you got bigger problems then penny fees. then again, since you're likely unemployed (or on minimum wage) maybe it IS a big problem for you...

course i'm somewhat of an elitist ass when it comes to necessary intelligence. get smart or get out. heh.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 12:16:10 AM

When paying a merchant, you send the transaction to them, they combine it with a spending a transaction to secure it (which does carry a fee), and broadcast them both on the network. A fee is paid for the original payment, but the customer doesn't see it.
This is the most interesting thing I read in this thread. Is there a mechanism now for combining a trx into a second spend without re-signing the original trx? I'm curious how this works as I'd like to see some protocol for it developed such that clients could start supporting it. Call it BiTrx or whatever and treat it like email where we can send funds direct to each other bypassing the blockchain until a merchant wants to settle some period (eg. one hour) of trx into a master transfer to their backend account.

If a MIME type was created for it then BiTrxs could be attached to emails and processed automatically by email software like electronic checks peer-peer. In that case a Bitcoin client add-on could be made for Thunderbird to allow pmts processed by email directly by users without a third party (other than the blockchain as settlement mechanism). Users wouldn't even have to deal with bitcoin addresses at all.

Merchant sends email invoice with address embedded. Customer signs transaction and replies with BiTrx pmt. If both users install certificates in their email client then it's encrypted and both ends identity is authenticated.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 12:31:00 AM

When paying a merchant, you send the transaction to them, they combine it with a spending a transaction to secure it (which does carry a fee), and broadcast them both on the network. A fee is paid for the original payment, but the customer doesn't see it.
This is the most interesting thing I read in this thread. Is there a mechanism now for combining a trx into a second spend without re-signing the original trx? I'm curious how this works as I'd like to see some protocol for it developed such that clients could start supporting it. Call it BiTrx or whatever and treat it like email where we can send funds direct to each other bypassing the blockchain until a merchant wants to settle some period (eg. one hour) of trx into a master transfer to their backend account.

If a MIME type was created for it then BiTrxs could be attached to emails and processed automatically by email software like electronic checks peer-peer. In that case a Bitcoin client add-on could be made for Thunderbird to allow pmts processed by email directly by users without a third party (other than the blockchain as settlement mechanism). Users wouldn't even have to dela with addresses other than email addresses.

Merchant sends email invoice with address embedded. Customer signs transaction and replies with BiTrx pmt. If both users install certificates in their email client then it's encrypted and both ends identity is authenticated.

Basically, you create a transaction with no fees, and instead of broadcasting it on the network, you give it to the recipient directly (email, or whatever).  The recipient then creates a second transaction from it, exactly like they'd do if it came in over the network like what happens now, but the second transaction has a fee in it.  They then submit the pair of transactions to the network, and miners understand that the fee in the second transaction is intended to pay for the first transaction too.  (Also, they can't include the transaction with the fee in their block unless they also include the prior transaction.)

The mechanisms for this don't exist yet, but it seems like a pretty clever way to push the costs of a transaction to the recipient, so it should just be a matter of time.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 02:54:19 AM

Fees are an inevitable part of the Bitcoin network (especially in the far future when block reward is significantly lower), but it's important to recognize who is getting these fees:  anyone who wants to.  This is an extremely important distinction!

In most other systems, it's usually the central authority that is charging the fees (Mastercard, Paypal, Blizzard charging 15% fee for DiabloIII item auctions!?).  Because there is usually a lack of competition or a very steep cost-of-entry, they essentially have a monopoly and can charge whatever they want.  That's why consumers are losers  in all those services.

However, in bitcoin there is no way to have a monopoly on fees.  In fact, there is infinite room for competition in the bitcoin mining market.  I can go buy $10k worth of FPGAs tomorrow and hook it up to the network and start collecting fees right away.  I can do it completely anonymously and without getting anyone's permission to do it.  There is inherently no restriction on who can be part of the bitcoin equation.  Every single person in the world can be part of it.   That's a really powerful feature!

The "infinite room for competition" part is the critical piece of this puzzle:  there is no way for any party to try to lock out competition from the market.  The only way to influence the network fees is to offer lower fees than everyone else.  Anyone who wants to try to charge higher fees, will just be missing out on profitable, lower-fee transactions that are processed by all the other miners that are willing to include them.

Because of this dynamic, it is overwhelmingly likely that fees will never be higher than they need to be.  They will always be low as they can reasonably be, at least until/if super-computers + T1 lines are needed to do mining -- but even then, there's still plenty of investors who can participate.  Therefore, if there are fees, it's because the network has a non-zero cost to keep in operation.  But you can be assured that you're not getting overcharged.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: