Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:15:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [GLBSE:RUGATU] - Market cap ~ 1.29 BTC, Can it recover?  (Read 1541 times)
RaggedMonk (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 11:49:20 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2012, 12:47:13 AM by RaggedMonk

It looks like Rugatu is having some serious troubles:

- Earlier this week in the thread below, majority of forum users agreed the valuation was too high.  Rugatu owners/employees disagreed.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87390.0

- There have been allegations of unfair moderation and moderators manipulating rules to win a question's reward, then banning the user who they allegedly stole from for publicly discussing it
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86551.msg965892#msg965892

- The sum of all bids on GLBSE is about 1.29BTC at time of writing.  This means selling EVERY SHARE wouldn't even net two bitcoins.  Ouch.

Now the Rugatu Mods have locked every thread they created, so I wanted a place to discuss their situation without censorship.

Can Rugatu recover from this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 11:52:39 PM

It looks like Rugatu is having some serious troubles:

- Earlier this week in the thread below, majority of forum users agreed the valuation was too high.  Rugatu owners/employees disagreed.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87390.0

- There have been allegations of unfair moderation and moderators manipulating rules to win a question's reward, then banning the user who they stole from for publicly discussing it
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86551.msg965892#msg965892

- (Speculation): Moderators on Rugatu banned the user: gweedo's account after bitcointalk user gweedo criticized their valuation.  Ban was for "excessive downvoting", I feel like bad blood may have played a role.

- The sum of all bids on GLBSE is about 1.5BTC at time of writing.  This means selling EVERY SHARE wouldn't even net two bitcoins.  Ouch.

Now the Rugatu Mods have locked every thread they created, so I wanted a place to discuss their situation without censorship.

Can Rugatu recover from this?

Actually, Gweedo was ironically suspended after I pointed out that Gweedo was, in fact, excessively down-voting virtually everyone, particularly casting down-votes in questions that he answered.  Furthermore, he was down-voting answers that were 'strong' and had received up-votes from others.  I think he deserved a suspension.  You will see my complaint about it in the announcement thread and my proposed solution to the problem.
RaggedMonk (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 11:54:47 PM

Ah, missed that, thank you.  Updated OP to strike that.  Please keep your quote for continuity, though.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 12:32:21 AM

Now the Rugatu Mods have locked every thread they created,

that is bizarre.  about the only time you see that happen around here is with a scammer or from someone who has issues.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 04:23:26 AM

that is bizarre.  about the only time you see that happen around here is with a scammer or from someone who has issues.

Yeah, I was happy with Rugatu until they locked their own Q&A thread. It's a shame, I stopped bidding right after that. I feel insulted as a shareholder.
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 04:30:33 AM

Yeah, I was happy with Rugatu until they locked their own Q&A thread. It's a shame, I stopped bidding right after that. I feel insulted as a shareholder.

The personality of the issuers have a real impact on whether a business will survive or fail.  If you look at many of the bitcoins companies or just companies in general that survive, they are filled from a person that goes out of their way to teach its potential users or even detractors.  Locking their threads is a big sign of a future problem or current problem.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 06:05:11 AM

TBH I can't think of a good reason to lock a thread. If trolling becomes excessive, moderators will delete posts. Otherwise, it seems to me it's your duty as a business operator to answer any valid questions posed.

I haven't been following this particularly closely, though, all I've really seen is the name "Rugatu" spammed around the forum in various irrelevant threads. Rugatu/the_joint, can/will you provide an explanation for the thread-locking?

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 06:30:10 AM

TBH I can't think of a good reason to lock a thread. If trolling becomes excessive, moderators will delete posts. Otherwise, it seems to me it's your duty as a business operator to answer any valid questions posed.

I haven't been following this particularly closely, though, all I've really seen is the name "Rugatu" spammed around the forum in various irrelevant threads. Rugatu/the_joint, can/will you provide an explanation for the thread-locking?

I have no affiliation with Rugatu.
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 06:38:51 AM

You linked it in your sig and seemed knowledgeable, so I assumed. Thanks for correcting me.

ssbtoday

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:09:34 AM

You linked it in your sig and seemed knowledgeable, so I assumed. Thanks for correcting me.

Don't be so fond of thinking so graciously, but rather we're getting paid for it, maybe you'd like to join in on the earning.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86633.msg952529#msg952529

Nevermind, offer closed now.
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:13:16 AM

Don't be so fond of thinking so graciously, but rather we're getting paid for it, maybe you'd like to join in on the earning.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86633.msg952529#msg952529

Thanks, but no.

Gladamas

Activity: 294

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:15:14 AM

Ah, I was wondering why they locked their threads.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:26:28 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87390.msg961062#msg961062
As I said here they were not ready or even had a plan for IPOing. I am calling this a functional scram they thought they get on the exchange and they would be rich, but they are so very wrong and I think the market can sense that.

memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 10:48:03 AM

Replying to another thread since this one is more on-topic.

I have a question ... why would Rugatu close the only thread for asking questions about Rugatu?

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86551.0

or, put another way, Y U NO LIKE USER FEEDBACK?
Fishy.

Here they claimed that it's related to workload (I don't see the connection though), I got back to say "thanks" and the thread was closed again. That very same thing had happened when I went there to ask a follow-up about a share/dividend issue. What I get from their remark is, they are actually doing it to stop people from posting opposing views in their threads.

First of all, that is the reason this forum exists in the first place. We are here because we can voice our opinions. You don't get to come here and advertise publicly without any public feedback, that's contrary to the reason we are on this forum. I won't chase you around to ask a question which I want to do in public anyway (Collaborative feedback, remember? Like the idea behind Rugatu?) and closing your thread is just forcing people to create new unnecessary threads and nothing more.

If you want people to use your feedback mechanism to reply, why don't you move your threads to your feedback mechanism? The only people I've seen here who close their threads are self-described trolls.

Also, I get that people may spread FUD or lies about your service. However, you can't assume we can't be the people to judge what's true or not while assuming we be the judge whether your service is worth supporting or not. You are manufacturing a drama where there wasn't one before. This raises zero confidence in your management abilities, not only PR.

I was actually waiting for such a system for some time, but Rugatu will likely destroy it with this kind of attitude. I'm humbly suggesting they find a different PR guy who knows what he's doing.
RaggedMonk (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 08:43:00 PM

What I get from their remark is, they are actually doing it to stop people from posting opposing views in their threads.

[...]

I'm humbly suggesting they find a different PR guy who knows what he's doing.

+1
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:27:37 AM

What I get from their remark is, they are actually doing it to stop people from posting opposing views in their threads.

[...]

I'm humbly suggesting they find a different PR guy who knows what he's doing.

+1

+2. This is a shame, I was hoping this kind of service would flourish.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: