Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:35:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnes & Noble accepts Bitcoin Magazine  (Read 5335 times)
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 09:06:44 AM

Bitcoin Magazine's journalistic integrity time of death... Tuesday, June 12th 11:46 Central Time.

It's all hype and link bait from here guys!

Both hype AND link bait at the same time! Well done!

Tongue

Really looking forward to sitting in the store, with a nice frappuccino and looking all pretentious while reading the latest in nouveau-geek cash.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 02:30:10 PM

It's a damn shame that Matthew gets a B&N contract for his Bitcoin Birthday, and I get nothing for being his (insert adjective here) twin (born on same day via cesarean section and with the use of ice thongs).

~Cackling Bear~

32 Second Edit: BTW, congrats, mNw.
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 04:21:58 PM

Hello and congrats,

Did Barnes & Noble give you a list of stores where they will stock the mags initially? I'm wondering if the USA East coast stores will get them first, I wouldn't mind driving 50 miles or less to pick one up.

bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 04:43:38 PM

Great to hear! getting it! Grin

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 05:18:37 PM

Do you know when they'll actually be in the store? Should I look now?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 05:23:55 PM

Do you know when they'll actually be in the store? Should I look now?

Barnes & Noble bookstore starting Monday, June 18th according to this article: http://bitcoinmagazine.net/bitcoin-magazine-approved-for-barnes-noble-us-distribution/

Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 09:08:44 PM

Kudos Matthew!

Very nice work for this very difficult goal.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 12:22:16 AM

Matthew. You have any idea how many issues of an average magazine B&N stocks? And do they restock a week or two later if all the issues sell out early? Also, since they're planning on stocking the stores, is it safe to assume one could order issues from B&N online?

~Bruno~

PS: Happy Bitcoin Birthday, fuzz-nuts.  Grin
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 03:59:53 AM

I am in Washington DC right now & saw a Barnes & Noble bookstore while I was walking around the National Mall.

I'll see if I can stop by tomorrow before my flight to request they carry Bitcoin Magazine soon Smiley

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 12:08:36 AM

I am in Washington DC right now & saw a Barnes & Noble bookstore while I was walking around the National Mall.

I'll see if I can stop by tomorrow before my flight to request they carry Bitcoin Magazine soon Smiley

I stopped in at the Barnes & Noble at 12th & E St and asked the clerk if they carried Bitcoin Magazine.

He typed something into the computer and said they didn't carry it, but to try to bigger shop on Union.

I was with my wife, so I didn't have time to have a long discussion (she doesn't like the word bitcoin...).

However, I'm thinking next time, my approach will be to ask "When will you begin carrying Bitcoin Magazine at this store?"

That way it acknowledges the fact that I realize it's not available yet and gets them wondering as well.  Then hopefully that will yield to them either requesting it to be brought to their store to at least keep them looking out for it.

Maybe I could even ask can I be added to a notification list to get an e-mail when they do start to carry it or something Smiley

Anyone else have any experiences to share?

Fold for spending BTCs

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:50:07 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 07:05:28 AM by Vladimir

B&N saga is just beginning. It is not an instant thing. We have an agreement in principle with them and negotiating a few finer points now. We expect to have signed exclusive 2 year long contract with them imminently. We do not know yet which stores it will go in and we do not know yet how many copies they will request us to print. Could be 10k, could be 100k, could change over time. They told us "your title is a bookstore title", whatever that means. I am rounding up finances to be able to print 20k of #3.

Once thing is known, you should not expect to see BM  on the shelves before 1st of September, it will be either #3 or #4. This is just how long it takes. But still go now to their stores and bug them and tell them to make sure that they stock it once it becomes available. It helps a lot.

No guarantees here, but advertisers do take notice that you can book now up to 6 month of the most valuable advertising real estate in BM (some have done it already) and potentially get huge exposure in B&N distributed issues at silly low prices. One advertiser, for example bought some full page ads in the very beginning for 3 first issues for some champ change, like 150$. And now he will get not just #1 ads, but #2 and #3 ads too (potentially with big print and in B&N stores). Likewise you still can book ads for up to 6 month in advance now for just a few thousand dollars (we even give decent discount on long term deals). Some advertisers have seen this opportunity and locked in the most valuable spots for many month in advance. As soon as we know how many copies we need to print to cover B&N order, the ad prices are going to skyrocket again, most likely.

There also will be minor pricing changes. The prices in stores will be higher than what one can get on subscription or direct from us. Overall price of one copy will also be increased slightly for some regions. Naturally people who subscribed already are not affected by any of this.

Also it is highly likely that starting from #2 we will print in UK on the same presses that Wired and their ilk are being printed on. We will have much more robust logistic solution and shipping to both EU and North America will be much quicker starting with #2.

-
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 09:52:00 AM

B&N saga is just beginning. It is not an instant thing. We have an agreement in principle with them and negotiating a few finer points now. We expect to have signed exclusive 2 year long contract with them imminently. We do not know yet which stores it will go in and we do not know yet how many copies they will request us to print. Could be 10k, could be 100k, could change over time. They told us "your title is a bookstore title", whatever that means. I am rounding up finances to be able to print 20k of #3.

Once thing is known, you should not expect to see BM  on the shelves before 1st of September, it will be either #3 or #4. This is just how long it takes. But still go now to their stores and bug them and tell them to make sure that they stock it once it becomes available. It helps a lot.

No guarantees here, but advertisers do take notice that you can book now up to 6 month of the most valuable advertising real estate in BM (some have done it already) and potentially get huge exposure in B&N distributed issues at silly low prices. One advertiser, for example bought some full page ads in the very beginning for 3 first issues for some champ change, like 150$. And now he will get not just #1 ads, but #2 and #3 ads too (potentially with big print and in B&N stores). Likewise you still can book ads for up to 6 month in advance now for just a few thousand dollars (we even give decent discount on long term deals). Some advertisers have seen this opportunity and locked in the most valuable spots for many month in advance. As soon as we know how many copies we need to print to cover B&N order, the ad prices are going to skyrocket again, most likely.

There also will be minor pricing changes. The prices in stores will be higher than what one can get on subscription or direct from us. Overall price of one copy will also be increased slightly for some regions. Naturally people who subscribed already are not affected by any of this.

Also it is highly likely that starting from #2 we will print in UK on the same presses that Wired and their ilk are being printed on. We will have much more robust logistic solution and shipping to both EU and North America will be much quicker starting with #2.

If I wanted to try to sell advertisements for Bitcoin Magazine, who might be some good targets?  I think Issue #1 had mostly bitcoin exchanges, bitcoin merchant solutions & physical bitcoins, etc. 

Is there any reason to approach non-bitcoin businesses and if so who might be some good targets?  I guess they need to want a global presence or at least USA & Europe.  Probably websites would be good, with international product sales...

Just brainstorming & looking for ideas of who in the Cleveland Marketplace I could approach to advertise in Bitcoin Magazine.

Seems like websites based in Cleveland are my best bet.

Fold for spending BTCs

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 10:07:40 AM

Is there any reason to approach non-bitcoin businesses and if so who might be some good targets?

Funny you mention it, in Las Vegas we've already got many businesses who are non-Bitcoiner tech businesses who wanted to advertise.

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 11:56:35 AM

Is there any reason to approach non-bitcoin businesses and if so who might be some good targets?

Funny you mention it, in Las Vegas we've already got many businesses who are non-Bitcoiner tech businesses who wanted to advertise.

Rock on, I just reached out to an event planning committee which will be hosting a large international event in Northern Ohio in a couple years.

Talk about a perfect client!  I really hope I have some success with them & for bitcoin!

Fold for spending BTCs

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:58:18 AM

Rock on, I just reached out to an event planning committee which will be hosting a large international event in Northern Ohio in a couple years.

Talk about a perfect client!  I really hope I have some success with them & for bitcoin!

I wish there were more active people like yourself! Appreciate the support!

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 12:17:00 PM

I wish there were more active people like yourself! Appreciate the support!

I wish there was enough money bitcoin in it for me to make it a full time gig and quit my day job.  Until then, I'll keep supporting and hope the money bitcoin comes later!

Fold for spending BTCs

Troll Toll

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:56:24 PM

Congratulations. I was pretty skeptical at first whether or not this project would fizzle into nothingness. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

keep it up, i'll purchase many from the store in durham, north cackalacky

You gotta pay
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 01:03:26 PM

Congratulations. I was pretty skeptical at first whether or not this project would fizzle into nothingness. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Make sure you stop in and ask them when they'll be receiving it for the shelves.  This will increase the chances that it gets to that store!  (at least I'm assuming it will)

Fold for spending BTCs

Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:08:00 PM

Thanks everyone. Feels good to finally shut the trolls up.

I STILL HAVENT RECEIVED MY F'$§%&*§!!! MAGAZINE!!

And you're not the only one either!

best part is how we should just shut up about it, oh and not be compensated either.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:10:54 PM

Make sure you stop in and ask them when they'll be receiving it for the shelves.  This will increase the chances that it gets to that store!  (at least I'm assuming it will)

It will increase chances of getting BM into this specific store. As soon as we sign the contract, the distributor will be presenting Bitcoin Magazine to store's procurement managers, and those will decide whether they will order them and how many, depending on availability of space on their newsstands and level of interest and demography of their customers. So those who bug them and demand the magazine will most likely get that store stocking Bitcoin Magazine when the time comes.

-
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: