Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:05:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnes & Noble accepts Bitcoin Magazine  (Read 5336 times)
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:11:43 PM

Thanks everyone. Feels good to finally shut the trolls up.

I STILL HAVENT RECEIVED MY F'$§%&*§!!! MAGAZINE!!

And you're not the only one either!

best part is how we should just shut up about it, oh and not be compensated either.

support@bitconmagazine.net for customer support. They will sort all the problems.

Edit: Ohh it is Dansker, nevermind then... he never will be happy.

-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:53:36 PM

I called my local Barnes and Noble and they said that it was not up to them what Magazines they got, and they could not order Bitcoin Magazine even if some other Barnes and Noble had them...

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 01:34:50 AM

He typed something into the computer and said they didn't carry it, but to try to bigger shop on Union.

I was with my wife, so I didn't have time to have a long discussion (she doesn't like the word bitcoin...).

LOLZ!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 02:58:55 AM

yeah I saw the magazine too. It was really nicely done.

It would be good to see more things focusing on the social aspect and talking about things outside bitcoin but related to it in the free culture and hacker movements. Things like the free wifi (how bitcoin can fund meshnets), tech for circumventing kettling by police .etc

The first issue was a rush job, no other way to describe it. It hit a lot of marks but missed a few too. As each issue progresses, we notice the need to branch out in specific fields. We also have 12 writers now instead of just 2 as was true in the beginning and an Editorial Board that includes even Jon Matonis, so the future is pretty much brighter from this point on.

For yourself and anyone else, if you have any suggestions for specific stories, or even recommendations for direction, just shoot your message on over to editorial@bitcoinmagazine.co.uk and our writer's group as well as Board of Directors will all have an equal chance to look it over.

Thanks again for the encouragement and support.

Please email info@bitcoinmagazine.co.uk for information on your order if you believe there is something wrong with your shipment. Don't forget to include your receipt so that we can discuss your purchase with you. Thanks!

so when can we expect to see it in B&N's stores here in the US?

Please read the article in the OP for information about making sure it gets into your local B&N branch.

Hi, similar problem here except I was apparently due to receive a complimentary copy and thus didn't make a paid order - could you let me know the status of this or whether I need to pay up?
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:21:28 AM

So I talked to the manager at my local B&N store. He said that they don't care what magazines they carry (and indeed don't make those decisions either), because they lose money on every magazine. He said he wished the whole magazine section was just books.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:26:44 AM

So I talked to the manager at my local B&N store. He said that they don't care what magazines they carry (and indeed don't make those decisions either), because they lose money on every magazine. He said he wished the whole magazine section was just books.

Make sense, as I never actually see anybody buy a magazine.

Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:12:03 AM

Well, let me break this to you. That guy is flat out lying to you. There is no other way to put it. Assuming that by "they" he means the store.

If by "they" he means minimum wage drones who man the front line, then yea they do no make any decisions and do not care about magazines nor make any extra money on it, just get extra work and "they" prefer the shop being more like an air conditioned desert without shoppers.

I am pretty sure it was the manager walking throughout the store talking to/working with various employees, and at the customer service station. I'm not 100% certain though.

I think his exact words were: "We have no way of ordering a certain magazine. In fact we're losing money on all those magazines over there—" he pointed to the magazine section. "I just wish all those magazines were books."

Is there any particular reason why the guy would lie to me?

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:25:43 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 03:15:32 PM by Vladimir

Well, their quarterly reports to investors do not say anything about them losing money on magazines.

What I know for certain is that distributors present magazines to store reps (perhaps there are guys who representing more than one store). Those store reps do make choice on which magazines to order. Chances are that a single word passed from front line guys to such a rep about customers asking a specific magazine, would ensure the magazine order by a specific store.

Also, by the way they structure the biz terms, they just cannot lose money on magazines. All the risks are on publishers.

I suppose some people just lie habitually in attempt to appear more smart or more important than they are. At the same, time I must admit that my initial response was worded too strongly and I do not know all the relevant facts to be absolutely sure in what I said, specifically about that particular store. That is why I have removed that response.

Maybe someone who actually worked at one of B&N could tell us how this works exactly. I am all ears in this case.

For those who think that print is dead here is what I have to say:
http://bitcoinmagazine.net/advertise-with-us/

-
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 09:02:06 AM

It would be good to see more things focusing on the social aspect and talking about things outside bitcoin but related to it in the free culture and hacker movements. Things like the free wifi (how bitcoin can fund meshnets), tech for circumventing kettling by police .etc

The first issue was a rush job, no other way to describe it. It hit a lot of marks but missed a few too. As each issue progresses, we notice the need to branch out in specific fields. We also have 12 writers now instead of just 2 as was true in the beginning and an Editorial Board that includes even Jon Matonis, so the future is pretty much brighter from this point on.

For yourself and anyone else, if you have any suggestions for specific stories, or even recommendations for direction, just shoot your message on over to editorial@bitcoinmagazine.co.uk and our writer's group as well as Board of Directors will all have an equal chance to look it over.

Please email info@bitcoinmagazine.co.uk for information on your order if you believe there is something wrong with your shipment. Don't forget to include your receipt so that we can discuss your purchase with you. Thanks!

Please read the article in the OP for information about making sure it gets into your local B&N branch.

Hi, similar problem here except I was apparently due to receive a complimentary copy and thus didn't make a paid order - could you let me know the status of this or whether I need to pay up?

Disregard the above, i've went ahead and paid for 3 issues as a show of support anyway, hope it turns up quickly!

If that complimentary copy does turn up anyway i'm up for advice on the most efficient public place to leave it at...
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 01:41:24 PM

The book titles and magazines selections at Barnes & Noble may vary by region based on demographics and sales, sometimes even in the same city. They all tend to have the most popular fiction books and magazines, especially if it's on the New York Times best seller list.

There are about 6 B&N stores within a short drive from where I live and I visit different ones depending on the subject I'm interested in. It doesn't hurt to ask them to stock something you want though because they sometimes do (especially if you get really annoying  Grin ).

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 08:16:32 PM

Looks like its drawing a crowd.  Grin
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196202_10150996397103874_581859132_n.jpg

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 03:40:06 AM
Last edit: June 25, 2012, 02:32:29 PM by Maged

Anywho, the local B&N here in Denver did not have a copy of the mag either, but I'm way to socially awkward to harass an employee about it.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 08:56:09 AM

fatigue

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 09:50:54 AM

Disregard the above, i've went ahead and paid for 3 issues as a show of support anyway, hope it turns up quickly!

If that complimentary copy does turn up anyway i'm up for advice on the most efficient public place to leave it at...

Doctors/Dentists Office?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: