Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:53:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi client auto update  (Read 2450 times)
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 06:04:11 PM

Lack of auto update, in practice, means lots of people don't update ever. Look at the version skew on the current network for evidence.

Old versions harm the network, are likely to have lower security for their owners, and slow down deployment of new features that can benefit the entire Bitcoin ecosystem. As you should be keeping up to date anyway, you should want a helpful auto update feature. If you don't then you're just going to cause problems later.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 08:21:02 PM

Auto-update is all fun and games until an update contains a vulnerability or a show-stopper bug. Sooner or later, this WILL happen.

Good software hygiene requires keeping control over what is being installed on your computer, and when.
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 09:33:46 PM

And how are users supposed to find out about those bugs in the non-auto scenario? Reading the forums?

Nothing stops an auto update mechanism having gradual rollout strategies, like by allowing the update servers to say "only update if the hash of your first key is < X"
teste (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 09:39:10 PM

What I want is:

1- download bitcoin tgz file, extract the files to a custom folder,  execute the bin.
2- If a new version is released I wouldn't like to have to delete the folder and extract the files again.

When a new version is released I just want to be notified and asked if I want to update. (Like Firefox update process)
teste (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 09:42:31 PM

About auto update I prefer not comment. (Maybe only for critical vulnerabilities?)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 09:49:50 PM

How about auto-cripple?  Where developers can tell old versions to stop functioning, or at least to start overbearingly pester the user to upgrade.  I thought this functionality was already in there from the beginning.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 10:04:10 PM

I like the idea of the auto-update, I just don't like that it's forced.
- User must know that there is an update.
- User must know what the update does.
- User must able to auto-update Bitcoin with just a click.
- User should not be forced to update

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 09:36:24 AM

Nothing stops an auto update mechanism having gradual rollout strategies
If there's auto-update, it should certainly be rolled out gradually.

Quote from: casascius
How about auto-cripple?  Where developers can tell old versions to stop functioning
You definitely don't want to tempt an attacker with the chance to cripple everyone else, while they attempt their 51% attack!

The power to deprecate old versions is already available to the network as a whole, since each node can refuse to connect to instances running an outdated version of the protocol. The network is where that power belongs - not with the developers, although developers of course can influence it by releasing new versions that are important enough to the network that it becomes worth deprecating older versions.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 09:49:09 AM

Nothing stops an auto update mechanism having gradual rollout strategies
If there's auto-update, it should certainly be rolled out gradually.

Quote from: casascius
How about auto-cripple?  Where developers can tell old versions to stop functioning
You definitely don't want to tempt an attacker with the chance to cripple everyone else, while they attempt their 51% attack!

The power to deprecate old versions is already available to the network as a whole, since each node can refuse to connect to instances running an outdated version of the protocol. The network is where that power belongs - not with the developers, although developers of course can influence it by releasing new versions that are important enough to the network that it becomes worth deprecating older versions.
thats excacly what alert messages does... cripple the clients...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:50:55 PM

Before Satoshi disappeared he removed crippling by alert messages. Now they just display the message.

More details here:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2228
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 05:07:18 PM

Before Satoshi disappeared he removed crippling by alert messages. Now they just display the message.

More details here:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2228

was not aware of that..

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: