Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:15:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Mauldin on Bitcoin  (Read 1284 times)
101111 (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 07:26:32 AM

At last John has written about Bitcoin.

https://www.mauldineconomics.com/frontlinethoughts/is-bitcoin-the-future

It's quite lengthy so I won't post it here, but very well worth reading.

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3864

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 07:32:08 AM

Why the financial types ALWAYS like to talk about how Bitcoin will be replaced by Bitcoin 2.0 or Bitcoin 3.0? It's uncanny!
I think that what they meant is: "we were oblivious to bitcoin 1.0, so we let 2/3 of it falling into the "wrong" hands, but wait, no worry, we will make sure that we will have 90+% of bitcoin 2.0 or bitcoin 3.0"
"I love the blockchain but don't like bitcoin" is pretty much the same game...
These people are soooo transparent.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 07:41:51 AM

Anyone 5 years behind the curve in their own professed field of expertise needs not be taken seriously. Would you go to a doctor that hasn't read any new medical information in 5 years?

In fact I smell a sales pitch for a "sure thing" investment if I click on anything in his blog. It's looks like one of the oldest scams about making money by writing books about making money.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
101111 (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 07:43:59 AM

He doesn't say 'replaced',

"I think we evolve to Bitcoin 2.0 or 3.0, using the same blockchain technology, but with a way to make the
new currency a truly stable medium of information that can be easily exchanged for goods and
services."

and "But will it be Bitcoin? My best guess is that it will not be Bitcoin as currently constructed but rather an evolved version."

Isn't that the idea - as with most software - to evolve?
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3864

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 07:53:53 AM

"I think we evolve to Bitcoin 2.0 or 3.0, using the same blockchain technology, but with a way to make the
new currency a truly stable medium of information that can be easily exchanged for goods and
services."

and "But will it be Bitcoin? My best guess is that it will not be Bitcoin as currently constructed but rather an evolved version."

Well, to a degree, if such software aspires to be at least a currency. Dollar is still a dollar, there was no dollar 2.0 or 3.0
I guess what I am getting at is that bitcoin has to stay the same bitcoin with 21 mil units just as a 1930 dollar bill could be redeemed now for goods and services.
If bitcoin changes, evolves, mutates, sublimates into something else entirely-most will feel betrayed IF "old bitcoin" would not be accepted at par (or better) with bitcoin 2.0 or 3.0.
101111 (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 07:54:25 AM

Anyone 5 years behind the curve in their own professed field of expertise needs not be taken seriously. Would you go to a doctor that hasn't read any new medical information in 5 years?

In fact I smell a sales pitch for a "sure thing" investment if I click on anything in his blog. It's looks like one of the oldest scams about making money by writing books about making money.
He's not professing to be a Bitcoin expert, just "offer a few of my own thoughts on the relationships among gold, fiat money,
Bitcoin, and financial transactions
".

101111 (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 07:58:59 AM

services."

Well, to a degree, if such software aspires to be at least a currency. Dollar is still a dollar, there was no dollar 2.0 or 3.0
I guess what I am getting at is bitcoin has to stay bitcoin with 21 mil units just as a 1930 dollar bill could be redeemed now for goods and services.
If bitcoin changes, evolves, mutates, sublimates into something else entirely-most will feel betrayed IF "old bitcoin" would not be accepted at par (or better) with bitcoin 2.0 or 3.0.
Yes I agree with that, mostly, despite Dollar 2014 being worth only about 3% of Dollar 1914.

rtt

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 06:32:27 PM

Non-paywalled version: http://paste2.org/kMwbBvyY
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:50:01 PM

Dollar is still a dollar, there was no dollar 2.0 or 3.0

Well, not really.

Today's dollar came into being in 1971 (fully off gold denomination). That dollar existed only since 1965 (end of silver coinage). That dollar in turn existed only since 1945 (Bretton Woods agreement). That dollar came into being in 1934 (confiscation of personal gold), and that dollar was in turn birthed in 1913 (Federal Reserve Act came into effect). The previous dollar was the initial one.

So I guess that makes today's dollar Dollar 6.0.

You might be able to argue a case for some of these steps being n.1 instead of (n+1).0, but today's dollar certainly has zero resemblance to the dollar of the late 18th century.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:22:56 PM

Why the financial types ALWAYS like to talk about how Bitcoin will be replaced by Bitcoin 2.0 or Bitcoin 3.0? It's uncanny!
I think that what they meant is: "we were oblivious to bitcoin 1.0, so we let 2/3 of it falling into the "wrong" hands, but wait, no worry, we will make sure that we will have 90+% of bitcoin 2.0 or bitcoin 3.0"
"I love the blockchain but don't like bitcoin" is pretty much the same game...
These people are soooo transparent.

BTC 1.0 will evolve into 2.0 or 3.0.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 03:39:42 PM

The whole "I love the blockchain but not Bitcoin" is repeated endlessly by Keynesians who are finally admitting that Bitcoin is a great technology. They are just frustrated that it will not inflate like the dollar.

So basically "let's use this great Bitcoin technology and have it inflate based on a central reserve board that decides the value so it is just like the dollar, the greatest currency in the world!"

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
iamback

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 01:33:07 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 09:00:21 PM by iamback

Also:

http://www.mauldineconomics.com/lg/bitcoin

In that video, I suggest paying most attention to the astute comments from Alex Daley and also at the end of the video from John Mauldin.

They are correct that there is incredible potential but Bitcoin as it stands today can't be widely adopted. Yet it could surely enter another speculative frenzy bubble 2016 - 2017 with more people able to purchase Bitcoin via Paypal, etc.. But as a currency, it is still more costly (after exchanging to/from fiat) and more cumbersome tsuris than fiat world options.

Edit: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355212.msg10058463#msg10058463

Password scrambled, ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. Formerly AnonyMint, TheFascistMind, contagion, UnunoctaniumTesticles.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: