Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:49:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining v Hacking  (Read 2638 times)
NarC

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

BitcoinStoreStarter.com

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 06:32:05 PM

interesting.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:01:12 PM

If Btc is to be the future then it needs to be future proof.  How fast will Quantum computers be in 20 years time?  What if we had two suns could we multi thread it?  Wink
You add a single IF conditional line in the bitcoin core, specifying a block number. After this line, you specify that the hash verification function is one that uses 50-100% more bit entropy, increasing the security by all atoms times all atoms in the Universe to unimaginable efforts.

And then we use bitcoin just like before, except miners will have to use this new algorithm, it doesn't matter what computers we use, we can always pick something that can resist for 5-10 years ahead.
Haruko

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:10:33 PM

Where is the user, with this nice little picture about what amount of energy you would need for that ?

"Someone summoned me"

Are you thinking of this one?

http://miguelmoreno.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/fYFBsqp.jpg
Yay Smiley
I love this picture, I should bookmark it ^^

Yes, it really but things in perspective.
Also help illustrate how big of a number 2^256 is, most people have an idea that it is big, but not how big it really is.

As a side note: the number space of bitcoin private keys are "only" 2^160, since capital "O", the capital "I" and the lowercase "l", as well as the number "0" is excluded.

But 2^160 is till a very very very very very large number.

It's almost impossible , you can't live "for ever". This is a great image that explain you better :

Thanks to @TookDk.

Hi!!!

nice to read this!!!

this is my first post and i'm really curious to know from you where do you get this article?
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 08:32:22 PM

Hi!!!

nice to read this!!!

this is my first post and i'm really curious to know from you where do you get this article?

I found it by a simple google image search with the following search parameters
bruteforce bitcoin energy

The picture is rather "old" and well known, I do not know the author.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
JLynn171

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:38:01 PM

agreed, infinite amount of computing power btc would not be your main obective... if you had that you could just mine them and i guess steal them if you wanted and get them all and they would then be worthless so you wasted all this imaginary computer power to turn gold into mud :-P
JLynn171

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:40:13 PM

Where is the user, with this nice little picture about what amount of energy you would need for that ?

"Someone summoned me"

Are you thinking of this one?

http://miguelmoreno.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/fYFBsqp.jpg
Yay Smiley
I love this picture, I should bookmark it ^^

Yes, it really but things in perspective.
Also help illustrate how big of a number 2^256 is, most people have an idea that it is big, but not how big it really is.

As a side note: the number space of bitcoin private keys are "only" 2^160, since capital "O", the capital "I" and the lowercase "l", as well as the number "0" is excluded.

But 2^160 is till a very very very very very large number.

It's almost impossible , you can't live "for ever". This is a great image that explain you better :

Thanks to @TookDk.

Hi!!!

nice to read this!!!

I've heard it explained to me before that the number of possible bitcoin addresses is equal to "if all of the grains of sand on earth were annoter earth then all the gfrains of sands on all those earths... that is alot to sift through
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 08:42:02 PM

agreed, infinite amount of computing power btc would not be your main obective... if you had that you could just mine them and i guess steal them if you wanted and get them all and they would then be worthless so you wasted all this imaginary computer power to turn gold into mud :-P

That is the beauty of bitcoin, if you have enough "power" to corrupt the system, then would you also destroy the system, making your scam-profit worthless. Satoshi mention this in the white paper when he explains the security of PoW.

JLynn171

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:45:05 PM

That is the beauty of bitcoin, if you have enough "power" to corrupt the system, then would you also destroy the system, making your scam-profit worthless. Satoshi mention this in the white paper when he explains the security of PoW.

but there are people out there who just "want to watch the world burn"
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 08:48:45 PM

Indeed, but remember that the majority of the bitcoin users want to protect the system.
In case someone get enough hashpower to destroy the system, then can "we" (the honest users), just fork the block chain e.g. with a new algo (as already mentioned), the honest user will follow the new chain, and the terrorist can stay on his corrupted chain, alone with all his worthless coins.

Haruko

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 11:02:29 AM

sorry.. i correct you

but there are people out there who just "would like to watch the world burn"
just would, because it is impossible...at least in the BITCOIN world

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
LightningBlade

Activity: 259

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 12:54:06 PM

Definitely mining is way better, hacking with processing power is waste of resources.

david wilson

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 02:42:06 PM

A Bitcoin mining pool, called GHash and operated by an anonymous entity called CEX.io, just reached 51% of total network mining power today. Bitcoin is no longer decentralized. GHash can control Bitcoin transactions.
BitmoreCoin

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:47:48 PM

It takes many trillions of years to hack one wallet.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:04:56 PM

n00b/troll: But what if I had a room full of really fast celerons???

n00b/troll: But what if I had 2 rooms full of really fast celerons???

n00b/troll: But what if I had a warehouse full of really fast celerons???

n00b/troll: And overclocked them???

n00b/troll: But I don't get it, bitcoin uses big numbers, computers can do big numbers, I can't even be bothered counting to a thousand and that's big.  So if I get like a THOUSAND really fast computers, like an Alienware or some shit, I am sure I'd pwn all the bitcoins.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:16:57 PM

It takes many trillions of years suns to hack one wallet.

It could happen in a split second so long as you had THAT much processing power.

Yeah, well....
I am sorry but I doubt that is going to happen soon, but it wont take trillions of years Smiley
A little bird told me that matter will not matter in the future......
Something about some types of gasses or whatever ...... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 05:05:56 PM

A Bitcoin mining pool, called GHash and operated by an anonymous entity called CEX.io, just reached 51% of total network mining power today. Bitcoin is no longer decentralized. GHash can control Bitcoin transactions.

A user, called david wilson operated by an anonymous newbie account, just reached my ignore list for spreading FUD today.

1. There is actually a relative ok distribution right now, "only" 14% for GHash :
https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=1days
2. GHash had more than 50% in the past, this is not an historical event anymore.
3. 50% is not a magic number that say if the system is centralized or not, in order to corrupt the system you need to maintain more than 50% for a longer period of time, since 50% of the hashrate is not equal to 100% chance of finding a block.

Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 01:45:58 AM

The point here is that the "power" is something that you buy via buying equipment and when you attack the Bitcoin network you will be devaluing the value of your equipment that cannot do anything other then mine a SHA256 coin.
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 10:08:50 AM

The point here is that the "power" is something that you buy via buying equipment and when you attack the Bitcoin network you will be devaluing the value of your equipment that cannot do anything other then mine a SHA256 coin.

Exactly!

JLynn171

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:06:32 PM

Exactly!

lol :-) gotta lovethe checks and balances built in to the btc world :-)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 04:25:41 PM

You're better off using that unlimited amount of processing power toward your favorite video game and its graphics.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: