Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:19:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining v Hacking  (Read 2638 times)
thirdprize (OP)

Activity: 485
Merit: 274

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 10:22:48 AM

Just curious, if you had unlimited processing power, would it be easier to use it for mining or (after having found a nice public key) trying to work out the private key?  Presumably you could spam transactions with an infinite number of private keys and one of them would eventually work.  Is there any safeguards against this? Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 10:32:09 AM

Just curious, if you had unlimited processing power, would it be easier to use it for mining or (after having found a nice public key) trying to work out the private key?  Presumably you could spam transactions with an infinite number of private keys and one of them would eventually work.  Is there any safeguards against this? Huh

Against unlimited procecssing power? Nope, nothing, but the boundaries of this universe.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
bitcoin_purist

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

Fearless, except for those who are fearless

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:43:11 AM

If you had unlimited processing power, you could hack the entire internet, bitcoin would not be number one target imho.
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 10:43:49 AM

Against unlimited procecssing power? Nope, nothing, but the boundaries of this universe.
Assuming these is a limit which there always is, time is your only enemy.

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:52:45 AM

Numbers.
Once you have realized that there will always be MORE mathematical equations (solutions) for you to perform, then you will realize that numbers is the ONLY thing that is truly infinite.

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:52:56 AM

Where is the user, with this nice little picture about what amount of energy you would need for that ?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 10:55:37 AM

Where is the user, with this nice little picture about what amount of energy you would need for that ?

Someone summoned me Cheesy

http://miguelmoreno.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/fYFBsqp.jpg

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:57:38 AM

"Someone summoned me"

Are you thinking of this one?

Yay Smiley
I love this picture, I should bookmark it ^^

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 11:00:28 AM

If you had unlimited processing power, you could hack the entire internet, bitcoin would not be number one target imho.

Hopefully someday Bitcoin would be the number one target, but right now if I had that kind of power I would clean out people's online accounts at JPMC, Citi and BofA.
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 11:02:58 AM

"Someone summoned me"

Yay Smiley

Yes, it really but things in perspective.
Also help illustrate how big of a number 2^256 is, most people have an idea that it is big, but not how big it really is.

As a side note: the number space of bitcoin private keys are "only" 2^160, since capital "O", the capital "I" and the lowercase "l", as well as the number "0" is excluded.

But 2^160 is till a very very very very very large number.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 11:06:04 AM

"Someone summoned me"

Yay Smiley

Also help illustrate how big of a number 2^256 is, most people have an idea that it is big, but not how big it really is.

As a side note: the number space of bitcoin private keys are "only" 2^160, since capital "O", the capital "I" and the lowercase "l", as well as the number "0" is excluded.

It's almost impossible , you can't live "for ever". This is a great image that explain you better :

Thanks to @TookDk.
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 11:08:12 AM

Thanks to @TookDk.

You are welcome Smiley

Please note I am not the author of the picture, I just like to post it, when people start talking about bitcoin address collisions and brute forcing private keys.

hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 11:14:25 AM

Today mining is easier since it is possible whereas a brute force hack is not.
But mining adjusts its difficulty. It has 256 bits to work with and hacking has 160 bits.
In theory, mining can become harder than hacking. Though
In practice both are unfeasible by brute force.

However brute force is the dumbest way to hack. Bullies don't make good hackers.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 11:25:53 AM

-snip-

Base58 ("O","I","l" and "0" excluded) is not the reason behind this. A private key is actually a 256bit number as well as the public key, but besides SHA256 also RIPEMD-160 is used and offers "only" 160 Bit. Thus there are 296 valid private keys for each address. The Base58 encoding you are refering to is just the final step [1].

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_version_1_Bitcoin_addresses

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 11:48:54 AM

Well it depends. If a person is a cunning type and would not bother living happily despite knowing the victim who has lost the stash of bitcoin is living in misery, then probably he will choose to hack. That is provided that by calculation the account holds substantial stash of btc measured and weighed against mining reward.

For me, I would never do that even with all the processing power at my disposal. Question is.... not everybody will think the same.

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 01:27:43 PM

Damn, most of these threads sound like.

"I have a bicycle, that means I can get to Sirius right?"

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
sandy47bt

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 04:18:09 PM

Lol, if you have unlimited processing power
I will trying work out satoshi nakamoto wallet  Cheesy

But, you can get something better than bitcoin itself  Smiley
You might can predict future with huge source & unlimited processing power

Someone summoned me Cheesy

Nice explanation  Shocked
thirdprize (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 04:49:49 PM

Yeah, but do the NSA have any back doors into it?   Wink

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 04:54:03 PM

Yeah, but do the NSA have any back doors into it?   Wink
Roll Eyes

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/7781/satoshis-genius-unexpected-ways-in-which-bitcoin-dodged-some-cryptographic-bullet/
https://chrispacia.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/nsa-backdoors-and-bitcoin/

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
thirdprize (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 05:08:35 PM

If Btc is to be the future then it needs to be future proof.  How fast will Quantum computers be in 20 years time?  What if we had two suns could we multi thread it?  Wink

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: