Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:24:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Leading SHA256 Solution Provider Acquires Venture Capital Funding  (Read 6106 times)
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 11:43:59 AM

You're mem, aren't you?  +1 for the ignore list just in case.  Furthermore, these guys aren't geeks;  they're educated individuals.  You've obviously got nothing to add, it'd be my suggestion to shut-up and maybe you'll learn something.

The forum basically designed the single for BFL.

And, after the forum did all the extensive research, a pcb carrying the EP3SL150F780 chip ended up getting shipped to ngzhang.

It was claimed to be "broken." From the sound of it ngzhang had to hack the shit out of the board to probe the chip.

We'll never be sure if this was simply an altera chip on a pcb or an actual functioning product.

About the only thing I'd believe at this point, with the situation being so strange, is if someone like eldentyrell or ngzhang got their hands on a functioning BFL single.

Don't do these people's research for them. Don't post plausible designs the the forum. You're only making it more difficult to find out if this is a legitimate company by discussing their "products" in such depth.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 01:23:28 PM

The forum basically designed the single for BFL.

And, after the forum did all the extensive research, a pcb carrying the EP3SL150F780 chip ended up getting shipped to ngzhang.

It was claimed to be "broken." From the sound of it ngzhang had to hack the shit out of the board to probe the chip.

We'll never be sure if this was simply an altera chip on a pcb or an actual functioning product.

About the only thing I'd believe at this point, with the situation being so strange, is if someone like eldentyrell or ngzhang got their hands on a functioning BFL single.

Don't do these people's research for them. Don't post plausible designs the the forum. You're only making it more difficult to find out if this is a legitimate company by discussing their "products" in such depth.
Oh god you are so completely retarded. If you came up with that bullshit after reading all the info available to you on this forum, then I would have to say that your reading comprehension is, at best, not up to snuff.

I'll answer each point just once because you need some help in the research department:

The forum did NOT design the Single for BFL. Where you heard this, I don't know. Citation please? They (BFL) suddenly appeared with a website and a promise of extraordinary performance, including a finished design. The performance claims were ripped to shit by the forum, and they eventually got around to building their design and found out that the cooling and power were insufficient. At no time did they even solicit design suggestions from the forum; all decisions were theirs alone.

During this design process, some high resolution photographs of the PCB and the chip were uploaded, and the folks here guessed based on those that the chips were EP3SL150 devices. This is before any of them shipped.

After that, they finally started shipping, and one of the units made their way into the hands of ngzhang. He did not have to "hack the shit out of it", he simply had to solder on a single resistor or jumper in order to reconnect the JTAG pins. After that it was as simple as hooking it up and reading the IDCODEs. There is no possible way that the chip on the board would have been something else; that would have required a board level redesign which would have been nothing more than a waste of time and a diversion. Replacing the chip on the board and retaining a functional or partially functional device without a board level redesign is highly unlikely to the point of being absurd.

And finally, even if ET or ngzhang were to verify the authenticity of a Single by saying they have one, you would just be there saying they don't exist either. Why shouldn't anyone be informed about what they are getting? It requires professionals that know what they are doing to identify much of this stuff, it isn't something that 99% of the consumers can do.

Please shut up and stop bullshitting. You are only making yourself look more stupid.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
galambo

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 03:54:10 PM

They (BFL) suddenly appeared with a website and a promise of extraordinary performance, including a finished design.
You don't know that they had a finished design. This is an assumption on your part.

It's entirely possible that a student could approach the R&D engineers at a local university's EE department for help in laying out the PCB after he knows what plausible components to specify. He would only have to tell them it was for a school project. If I were investigating this I would begin by calling all the universities in the KC, MO area. I would ask them to look at the picture of "ninja lady" and if she was on their payroll.

This same student could not however approach the department and ask them to design a board and specify components that would achieve a certain number of SHA-256 hashes per second.

Additionally, this student wouldn't have the experience necessary to implement the SHA-256 algorithm and spend the months necessary to unroll and route and debug the implementation.

Every manufacturer of FPGA devices, except BFL, followed the same formula: They announce exact specifications with pricing. And then they deliver in a reasonable timeframe.

BFL is not following this formula. Use your imagination as to why. (PRE-)BUYER BEWARE.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:09:12 PM

They (BFL) suddenly appeared with a website and a promise of extraordinary performance, including a finished design.
You don't know that they had a finished design. This is an assumption on your part.

It's entirely possible that a student could approach the R&D engineers at a local university's EE department for help in laying out the PCB after he knows what plausible components to specify. He would only have to tell them it was for a school project. If I were investigating this I would begin by calling all the universities in the KC, MO area. I would ask them to look at the picture of "ninja lady" and if she was on their payroll.

This same student could not however approach the department and ask them to design a board and specify components that would achieve a certain number of SHA-256 hashes per second.

Additionally, this student wouldn't have the experience necessary to implement the SHA-256 algorithm and spend the months necessary to unroll and route and debug the implementation.

Every manufacturer of FPGA devices, except BFL, followed the same formula: They announce exact specifications with pricing. And then they deliver in a reasonable timeframe.

BFL is not following this formula. Use your imagination as to why. (PRE-)BUYER BEWARE.

By "finished design" I meant "a design that the forum has had no input into" but I didn't expect you to catch that. They also had a design that never shipped, but that was mining at reduced speed due to poor design choices.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
galambo

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 12:14:18 AM

By "finished design" I meant "a design that the forum has had no input into" but I didn't expect you to catch that. They also had a design that never shipped, but that was mining at reduced speed due to poor design choices.

Again, you have no idea what design they had at any particular point in time. This is your personal assumption.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 12:17:28 AM

Again, you have no idea what design they had at any particular point in time. This is your personal assumption.
Yeah, just because photos of a finished PCB don't constitute a design. Right. Uh huh.

galambo

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 12:42:59 AM

Yeah, just because photos of a finished PCB don't constitute a design. Right. Uh huh.

First reference to EP3SL150 (by ngzhang) 12-1-2011
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48863.msg637417#msg637417

First picture of PCB 1-20-2012
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53530.msg705354#msg705354

That's a 2 months difference.

And no, photos of a finished PCB do not constitute a design, either. We have no way to tell if the PCB has errors simply by looking at it. These things do not always come back correctly the first time, especially if the designer is inexperienced.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 12:52:01 AM

That's not the first picture. And that is the second redesign. You weren't here that long ago, otherwise you would have seen other things. This for instance: http://butterflylabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_1817.jpg

And maybe this: https://eclipsemc.com/bfl/bfl-8.jpg <-- 25 Nov 2011, and it hashes! More here: http://eclipsemc.com/bfl/

It was at the point that they discovered that the power subsystem was insufficient, requiring a redesign.

galambo

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:13:47 AM

That's not the first picture. And that is the second redesign. You weren't here that long ago, otherwise you would have seen other things. This for instance: http://butterflylabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_1817.jpg

And maybe this: https://eclipsemc.com/bfl/bfl-8.jpg <-- 25 Nov 2011, and it hashes! More here: http://eclipsemc.com/bfl/

It was at the point that they discovered that the power subsystem was insufficient, requiring a redesign.

I apologize. To be honest, I hadn't realized how many people had now received their BFL single. However, the circumstances around this company still warrants a high degree of skepticism.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 09:18:18 AM

Is this a thread to prove that anyone can BS a PRweb?

Yep. This elden tyrell guy got big game.

He spent $500 just for this. Could have used that to buy 3 Jalapeno coffee warmers for 10.5 GHash/s in the future presumably.

Guy must be mad BFL ASIC screwed over his bitstream licensing plans.

Don't jump off the bridge mate ! There is still hope Cheesy
$500 is not really anything when you're a financially successful adult living in a high-income OECD country.

fixed that for you. age and maturity don't guarantee financial status and where you come from does.

edited for horrid, horrid spelling.

fixed that for you [2]

Signature space available for rent.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: