Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:16:56 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie question about block mining racing.  (Read 924 times)
lontivero (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 128

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:12:18 PM

Hi,

there is something that I don't understand very well and I hope you could help me. Just imagine there are 2 nodes (node A and node B), each maintains a list of unverified transactions
* Node A has tx1, tx2 and tx3
* Node B has tx1, tx3 and tx4

Then they both decide to include them all in a new block and start mining. Node A finds the hash first so, it includes its block in the blockchain and publishes it. That is what I understood however I don't know how Node B should behave because it has 2 transactions in common with A.

- Should Node B to stop mining its block?  

And my last question (at least for a couple of days) is:

- How do nodes decide how many transactions to include in a block?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:43:16 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2014, 09:43:58 PM by DannyHamilton

Hi,

there is something that I don't understand very well and I hope you could help me. Just imagine there are 2 nodes (node A and node B), each maintains a list of unverified transactions

Then they both decide to include them all in a new block and start mining. Node A finds the hash first so, it includes its block in the blockchain and publishes it. That is what I understood however I don't know how Node B should behave because it has 2 transactions in common with A.

Exactly the same way as it should if it has 0 transactions in common with A (or all of its transactions in common with A).  The number of transactions in common doesn't matter.

Yes.  Always.  As soon as you receive a completed block, you should stop mining the block you were working on, and should begin mining a new block.

It is up to the solo miner (or mining pool) to choose which transactions they want to include.  Most pools (and solo miners) run software that makes those decisions based on some pre-set conditions configured in the software.
lontivero (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 128

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:32:41 PM

Hi,

Exactly the same way as it should if it has 0 transactions in common with A (or all of its transactions in common with A).  The number of transactions in common doesn't matter.

Yes.  Always.  As soon as you receive a completed block, you should stop mining the block you were working on, and should begin mining a new block.

It is up to the solo miner (or mining pool) to choose which transactions they want to include.  Most polls (and solo miners) run software that makes those decisions based on some pre-set conditions configured in the software.

Thank you, @DannyHamilton.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: