Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:31:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are we seen as "early adopters"?  (Read 5434 times)
Bernard Lerring (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 01:15:54 AM

With the mass communication we have today how come Bitcoin isn't already widespread news?

I can type a few characters into my phone and the whole world can potentially see it (if enough people were interested in me).

How haven't people realised what a great store of value BTC is now that the price is relatively stable?

Is it scepticism? Stupidity (people want easy apps without understanding anything about the underlying technology behind BTC)?

It seems to me like BTC should be heading to mass adoption NOW, rather than in 5 years time as some people predict?

Personally, I don't want it to go viral too soon though; I would like some more cheap BTC before that happens.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 01:33:49 AM

The early adopters embraced Bitcoin 5-6 years ago.

People adopting it now, are among the last few thousands to ever adopt it.

Bernard Lerring (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 01:42:20 AM

I used it on the original Silk Road about 3 years ago, but purely as a transition between fiat and buying weed.

I must've actually held something in the region of 20 or 30 BTC at some point. I wish I'd not smoked that BTC now!

I just didn't see the connection at the time that this was something that could change the world. It was just a sketchy way of doing business anonymously back then.
Raystonn

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 01:52:50 AM

With the mass communication we have today how come Bitcoin isn't already widespread news?

I can type a few characters into my phone and the whole world can potentially see it (if enough people were interested in me).

How haven't people realised what a great store of value BTC is now that the price is relatively stable?

Is it scepticism? Stupidity (people want easy apps without understanding anything about the underlying technology behind BTC)?

It seems to me like BTC should be heading to mass adoption NOW, rather than in 5 years time as some people predict?

Personally, I don't want it to go viral too soon though; I would like some more cheap BTC before that happens.

It's a lack of understanding, really.  Everyone is told not to trust anything on the internet, and to keep all of their financial information a secret.  Cryptocurrencies are a new paradigm where a public ledger is used to keep your wealth safe.  Instead of guarding your money as a secret to avoid theft, you announce it to the world such that everyone in the world agrees that you control X Bitcoins.  That consensus declaring your ownership is unlike anything most have ever been exposed to.  It will take some time for the masses to move to such a system after being made so afraid of publicity of wealth.  With Bitcoin, the publicity of the ledger is what keeps you safe.  With USD or gold, secrecy is needed to reduce attention, and armed security or insurance is the last defense.  The paradigm shift needs some time and education.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 01:53:02 AM

Because it's a form of money.

Money is not well understood by most and it's the one of the most emotive subjects possible. People also tend to be extremely conservative about it.

Those starting to use email, mobiles, internet, facebook etc. had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

BTC has a long, long way to go before it convinces folks en masse that it's a sure thing.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 01:56:56 AM

It kinda is though. Almost everyone has heard of Bitcoin,  "Bitcoin, what's that" "it's like internet money" but that's where it stops for most people.
The internet and social media are great tools for spreading messages to everyone, but with that comes a lot of noise to break through and be heard. Every day there's some new gimmick to try to take people's money away and people become wary of new things.

It's almost like the explosion in the music industry in the last 10 years. You know now you can publish your album and get it all over including listed on itunes and spotify for only $40 with services like CD Baby.   Once people hear my music I'll be famous. I can't wait to get on iTunes! But now that anyone can get on iTunes your music gets buried and no one ever hears it except your friends and family... ok now I'm on a tangent.

Anyways, I think a large percentage are aware of this new tool we call Bitcoin, but even a larger percentage have no idea how to use it or what it's capable of. It's actually quite amazing when you think about it. Here it is just sitting in plain view and most won't approach to get a closer look.

Bernard Lerring (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:01:12 AM

Do you think there is also a lack of knowledge in the masses about how central governments control the masses with money? The average Joe is still blind to the way we are subjugated by world banks?

Or is it a case of the ability to freely spend BTC not being there yet?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:04:11 AM

Do you think there is also a lack of knowledge in the masses about how central governments control the masses with money? The average Joe is still blind to the way we are subjugated by world banks?

You bet.

Here's the old Henry Ford quote -

'It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.'

As long as you get money to pay your way through life, not many people are going to question its nature.
Bernard Lerring (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:09:11 AM

Good quote.

I've recently been watching some pretty hard hitting documentaries by Adam Curtis, the British film maker. The average person could do with some eye opening documentaries to see just how we've been held in the grip of power for so long.

I'd like to pay for my utilities with BTC and buy food with BTC. I eagerly await for that day to come. Even if it's just a start.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:37:27 AM

Adam Curtis?

Didn't he do All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace?

Seriously, that documentary blew me away and changed my life forever.

Back to the topic:  

Don't know if now is considered "early adopter" time, or not.

Perhaps, time will tell.

desticy

Activity: 1512
Merit: 292

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:48:20 AM

Be early adopters of last year, it is nothing in this year

kashish948
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 04:09:22 AM

Its because Bitcoin is in early stage, its in its infancy. People might know about it but asking them to switch from fiat to BTC is proving to be difficult Sad We will get there, just have some patience.
fewcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 05:48:34 AM

Its because Bitcoin is in early stage, its in its infancy. People might know about it but asking them to switch from fiat to BTC is proving to be difficult Sad We will get there, just have some patience.

Early adopters have been pulling out forever, do you research

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=879312.0
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 07:03:56 AM

Bitcoin is just not stable enough at least not to the same level as say the Dollar and that scares merchants and consumers alike. A salary paid in real money, allows people to plan to the nearest cent their budget for the month, you wouldn't be able to do that with Bitcoin. If you have a family/children, it would be unbearable stress not knowing if your $100 worth of Bitcoin will still be worth $100 when you go to the grocery store next week. Bitcoin adoption will keep increasing slowly. It is however unlikely that it will rival real money anytime soon in its current form.
BentleyBirch

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 10:02:44 AM

Why I think have Bitcoin not been novelty from my personal feeling? It was born in 2011  Roll Eyes
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 10:39:24 AM

Why I think have Bitcoin not been novelty from my personal feeling? It was born in 2011  Roll Eyes

It was born in 2011, with the Satoshi's paper.

Bitcointalk was the one born in 2011

poncom

Activity: 318

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 10:40:16 AM

It might be nitpicking but bitcoin was not even invented six years ago. The first block was on 2009-01-03
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 10:46:29 AM

Oh wow exocytosis is back....where is your alternate ego fallllling?

On a serious note: We are still early adopters because it is not widespread like credit cards are nowadays. This is like being apart of the Diner's Club when only a handful of places accepted it in place of cash.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Furio
Legendary

Activity: 938

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 10:49:50 AM

How come "the last few thousand"? What is your prediction? Crypto gonna fail or another crypto?

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 11:15:20 AM

How come "the last few thousand"? What is your prediction? Crypto gonna fail or another crypto?

Yes exocytosis is a huge troll and very negative about bitcoin. His old account is falllling who always talks about an upcoming bitcoin doomsday

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: