Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:21:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First BFL Singles Ordered Arrived This Week!  (Read 952 times)
infamousdutch (OP)

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 04:34:39 PM

My first batch of ten BFL singles arrived this week and finally gave me something to write about...

Delivery time was 12 weeks from date of purchase.

Out of the 10, one has a top fan that does not work, we'll be requesting a replacement today.  BFL's customer service is pretty responsive and have kept me well informed so I suspect this will be an easy return process, but the timeline to get a replacement may be in question.  Power draw at the wall for most of them was at the advertised 80w, a couple leaked over 1-4 watts, but most were dead on.

They are connected to a slim line Dell pc using two usb hubs and sitting in a climate controlled data center.

I'm using bitcoin-miner.exe from Ufasoft with the following params:
-a 10 (getwork requests every x seconds)
-t 0 (stops the miner from using the cpu to mine)
-o http://name:password@pooladdress:8080  (username, password, pool address and port)

Performance: According to bitcoin-miner, I'm pulling between 6600-7300 hash, which is right in the  wheelhouse of the advertised 830 +-10%, but on the lower side.  I have not investigated if any of the devices are suffering from heat issues.

I'm going to let is run in the wild for a few weeks before I start tweaking with the experimental firmwares.
I'm going to also mount rack fans to force air through the rack shelves they are sitting on.  Maybe add a thermostat to the shelf.

Oh, the hot-swappable feature of bitcoin-miner works as expected, you can plug in nodes to your desire and the software sees the new devices and puts them to work.  Unplugging devices works the same, but an error message flashes across the console screen informing you the device errored out.

All in all, I'm happy to say that the products perform as advertised.

Post any questions you may have, I need to reach my 5 post limit SOME day to get out of newbie hell Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chefjc

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 01:59:41 PM

Congrats! How long to get a 100% return (get your money back)?
geffaxiv-532

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 11:52:17 PM

bad timing buddy... should have waited for the asics version
StewieMcFluffy

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:42:32 AM

bad timing buddy... should have waited for the asics version
Atleast he has this to fall back on if he chooses to switch to ASICS Wink

2. Hey, what the heck? Why’d you come out with this after I just bought a bunch of Singles. I’m going to be left behind!

"We hear you loud and clear and we promise to stand by our customers through this technology change with an all inclusive trade in policy designed to protect the dollar value of your existing hardware.

Upon release of BitForce SC based Singles & Mini Rigs, all previous generation BitForce products will enjoy a full 100% trade in value when used towards the purchase of the newer generation replacements.  This means your current device is protected from depreciation through this evolution in technology.  This buy back offer is good for all previous generation BitForce units whether purchased directly from us or from a third party.  Full terms of our obsolescence guarantee will be forthcoming.

Having said this, it’s also important to point out that current generation products enjoy strong relative hashing power today and that will continue to make them profitable up to and through the point of ASIC market penetration when they can be traded in."

http://www.butterflylabs.com/bitforce-sc-faq/

tarrant_01

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:14:16 PM

If you are having heat issues, you might want to open them up and make sure that the heat sink is in place.  I and others have had heatsinks not properly secured to the board. It doesn't take too long to check and it's an easy fix.

1P95gCUCw3Tjb7yyoYtW3ARZZQyTpFgk6H
nanook7

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:46:59 PM

How were they shipped?  USPS seems to be their past M.O. 

I wish they'd swap to FedEx or UPS for my shipment since the USPS in my area doesn't treat packages all that well.
geffaxiv-532

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:53:11 PM

you can request fedex
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: