Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 10:03:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on a mac is the hardest thing I have ever attempted - help!  (Read 1255 times)
KingTylerVVS (OP)

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 04:48:32 AM

So many guides seem incomplete, outdated or missing info.

Half of the miners I download don't work at all.

Half of the "pools" I visit are dead!

I have tried registering for pools that aren't dead, only to create a worker and then have no way of getting the miner to log in and start hashing.

I don't think anyone has yet explained how to start this process - and I hate having to skim through "what is dogecoin" in a dogecoin mining guide! I know what dogecoin is already, or I wouldn't be trying to mine it LOL! Cheesy

We mac users want to mine too!

Can anyone help me?

A. I need to know a miner that works on a mac. Which miner are you using RIGHT NOW?

B. I need a working pool - which pool are you connected to atm?

C. I need to know what command prompts to put into terminal to start the dang thing.

It should be that simple, but so many sites try to explain a lot of extraneous info that in truth seems irrelevant! They overcomplicate the process.

If you help me get setup, I will send you my first batch of dogecoins. Thanks!

P.S. MY GRAPHIC CARD SPECS = NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 
(I want to gpu mine dogecoins if possible.)
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 04:50:32 AM

Pro-tip: don't mine on a mac
Seriously, you will make fractions of a penny per day, and macs have awful cooling so you will just break your computer. Don't do it.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
KingTylerVVS (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 05:02:08 AM

Pro-tip: don't mine on a mac
Seriously, you will make fractions of a penny per day, and macs have awful cooling so you will just break your computer. Don't do it.

Im not that stupid. I wont overheat my mac, but I do want to mine just a few dogecoins for fun before I buy hardware. Gotta start somewhere - understanding how to mine is step 1. Buying hardware will be step 2.

Also, altcoins use scrpyt, not sha256 - which is so much lighter. Trying to mine bitcoins on a mac would be stupid. Altcoins are actually ok, if I dont let it overheat (I have smcfancontrol and know not to push the gpu too hard) - but thanks for your opinion.

Anyone actually know how to help, and willing to do so?
KingTylerVVS (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 05:28:51 AM

Upon further investigation, I have concluded that the best thing to do is to just download parallels so you can run windows on a mac.

To any windows users who read this, or any mac users who have parallels...

Cointellect has by far the best miner out there. You don't have to configure jack bananas! Just download the miner and press play. It is already pre-configured to hook up to their pool.

Cloud hashing is the way to go and you can do peanuts with your computer on low setting and still get 500 dogecoins a day.

with 7 billion people on the planet and global internet soon to be a fact, even dogecoin will one day be worth alot.

http://cointellect.com/?code=a2b84050 Download the miner here if you want.

I have received 1500 doge so far into my doge wallet. And my mac runs at 145º F with smc fan control on - I never go above 80%and I have never seen it go over 149º F - and they say not to go over 160º F for extended periods. Smiley Hope this helps someone! Cheers!
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 11:24:18 AM

Hi KingTylerVVS,

williamj2543 is 100% correct in that mining on your mac is generally a bad idea, and the heat could be bad for your hardware. That said, you might want to try http://www.asteroidapp.com/ or http://fabulouspanda.co.uk/macminer/ for mining on your mac.

I would stay far away from cointellect, there are many scam accusations against them. Now it is up to you to make sure that you are safe when running their software or not.

If you still want to proceed with mining on your mac, why now just setup one of the miners mentioned above and try a pool of your choice?

KingTylerVVS (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 04:48:30 PM

I am not convinced cointellect is a scam yet (they have paid me)

I did a lot of research and found most of the scam accusations are not that based on evidence, but just theory and fear. I have even found counter evidence that leads me to believe that they are not - and that all miners can be mistaken for malware.

If indeed they are a scam, I have very little coin that they can possibly steal. They will go under in less than 2 months if they are indeed a scam.

As for the asteroid and panda, I have tried both - but cannot find a pool that works, or instructions on how to get the miner to run! All of the public dogecoin pool sites have absolutely no instructions on how to connect my miner / worker and get it up and running.
cakir
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 08:45:55 PM

First of all, you need to find out your gpu's generation,
checkin this link: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus
You're finding out that it's Computer  3.0
Then you need to install cuda toolkit (I presume you've already installed driver).
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads find out a suitable one.

So you're going to this link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=167229.0
And you're finding out this: MAC-OS X compiled binaries are found here: http://www.johnchapman.net/cudaminer/  (a third party site maintained by John Chapman)

this guy uses same gpu with you
download the 2014-02-28 Release Build (CUDA 5.5 and 6.0)

and you're good to go.

You can learn which algoritm is supported by the miner like that on a command line:
ccminer --help (or cudaminer --help)

Now you can use any pool you want (that supports stratum)
I'm using
https://www.minep.it
http://suprnova.cc
nonce-pool.com etc.

,'#██+:                 
              ,█████████████'             
            +██████████████████           
          ;██████████████████████         
         ███████:         .███████`       
        ██████               ;█████'      
      `█████                   #████#     
      ████+                     `████+    
     ████:                        ████,   
    ████:    .#              █     ████   
   ;███+     ██             ███     ████  
   ████     ███'            ███.    '███, 
  +███     #████           ,████     ████ 
  ████     █████ .+██████: █████+    `███.
 ,███     ███████████████████████     ████
 ████     ███████████████████████'    :███
 ███:    +████████████████████████     ███`
 ███     █████████████████████████`    ███+
,███     ██████████████████████████    #███
'███    '██████████████████████████    ;███
#███    ███████████████████████████    ,███
████    ███████████████████████████.   .███
████    ███████████████████████████'   .███
+███    ███████████████████████████+   :███
:███    ███████████████████████████'   +███
 ███    ███████████████████████████.   ███#