Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:26:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU only mining dead?  (Read 8072 times)
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2014, 03:12:19 AM

Final verdict on first implementation of momentum:

Pretty good at discouraging GPU  if the price is right, but if it ever goes high enough, then the difference between cpu and GPU becomes more apparent. Overall I guess it gets 6.5-7 / 10

I'll be testing memorycoin now and I'll post about my findings later. Throughout the day tomorrow I'll test all the suggested coins and algorithms respectively.

I wonder if there's a way of reducing the effectiveness of botnets. Any ideas guys ?

you can't really reduce the effectiveness of botnets without hurting cpu/gpu ratio.
One attempt was done to create an antibotnet coin (so to speak) by requiring huge amount of memory (>32Gb, more than most computer, mine included... ) assuming botnets runs on standard to low-end computers... but that was just stupid, in my opinion...

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
djm34
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2014, 03:28:30 AM

Also, why does it seem like all cpu coins start with very low difficulty? Almost zero difficulty, meaning that they were all instamined by those in the know.

Anyone ever mined HeavyCoin?
I mined Heavycoin, but it was already a gpu coin...
But at the time when HVC got launched there wasn't 10 coins/day, so it was rather easy to follow and spot on the announcement thread, now it is just madness. Nevertheless some were ninja launched: x13, fugue (RIP) and some other with low diff.
Actually the low diff is justifiable by the fact that there is only cpu at launch, so you need a lower difficulty...

Today Kryptohash a new false cpu only coin was released (GPU coin without miners is more exact... keccak+ long hash to be hashed through sha256), but I discovered it discussing other things on irc... so now, yes it is probably better to be in the know to find those coins...

djm34 facebook page
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 04:54:51 AM

Today Kryptohash a new false cpu only coin was released (GPU coin without miners is more exact... keccak+ long hash to be hashed through sha256), but I discovered it discussing other things on irc... so now, yes it is probably better to be in the know to find those coins...
Not really. There are more Shitcoins than days on a calendar. Just ignore them, trade on top marketcaps. Easy!
hack_ (OP)

Activity: 501
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 08:45:38 AM

Pretty good at discouraging GPU  if the price is right, but if it ever goes high enough, then the difference between cpu and GPU becomes more apparent. Overall I guess it gets 6.5-7 / 10

I'll be testing memorycoin now and I'll post about my findings later. Throughout the day tomorrow I'll test all the suggested coins and algorithms respectively.

I wonder if there's a way of reducing the effectiveness of botnets. Any ideas guys ?

you can't really reduce the effectiveness of botnets without hurting cpu/gpu ratio.
One attempt was done to create an antibotnet coin (so to speak) by requiring huge amount of memory (>32Gb, more than most computer, mine included... ) assuming botnets runs on standard to low-end computers... but that was just stupid, in my opinion...

I just finished testing HeavyCoin and Memorycoin, I think there is a future for momentum. Barwizi's NoirShares 2.0 version left me with some questions though.

Memorycoin's performance was almost similar to the first implementation.

HeavyCoin is actually surprising that it is not popular. People seem to have become so focused on the asic race, that all these great attempts at keeping gpu and cpu mining alive are just being ignored.

I can see how increasing the required ram can affect botnets , but overall, I guess one needs to fond middle ground.

So from this list, only NoirShares 2.0 is still cpu only, mineable with reference client. I would love to see this put to the test though, Barwizi was accused of some nasty stuff , so it would be great to have some independent analysis of the code.

I'll look into KryptoKash now and report in later.

I think I'll start a thread to keep track of cpu only coins and hopefully by keeping others in the know, they will return the favour
djm34
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2014, 11:56:54 AM

Pretty good at discouraging GPU  if the price is right, but if it ever goes high enough, then the difference between cpu and GPU becomes more apparent. Overall I guess it gets 6.5-7 / 10

I just finished testing HeavyCoin and Memorycoin, I think there is a future for momentum. Barwizi's NoirShares 2.0 version left me with some questions though.

HeavyCoin is actually surprising that it is not popular. People seem to have become so focused on the asic race, that all these great attempts at keeping gpu and cpu mining alive are just being ignored.

I can see how increasing the required ram can affect botnets , but overall, I guess one needs to fond middle ground.

So from this list, only NoirShares 2.0 is still cpu only, mineable with reference client. I would love to see this put to the test though, Barwizi was accused of some nasty stuff , so it would be great to have some independent analysis of the code.

Actually, I looked back to the thread and Kryptohash isn't cpu only, they released a gpu miner.
There is some gpu resistance as they compute a rather long hash, but that's it.

djm34 facebook page
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 05:38:44 PM

Pretty good at discouraging GPU  if the price is right, but if it ever goes high enough, then the difference between cpu and GPU becomes more apparent. Overall I guess it gets 6.5-7 / 10

Actually, I looked back to the thread and Kryptohash isn't cpu only, they released a gpu miner.
There is some gpu resistance as they compute a rather long hash, but that's it.

That's rather disappointing, but after todays irc , I finally understood. Basically what I got it that the moment a currency gains enough popularity and has a good price as incentive, then a gpu miner will somehow pop up.

Since I am in no way a hash function expert I guess that's it for now until someone designs or modifies an existing one to fit the bill.

Do you have any clear idea what was done to create neo-scrypt?
I have an idea, I'm gonna try it out later tonight for fun and just to see if it's even possible.

What is the lowest hashrate you have ever seen? on NoirShares, I was getting 3 - 4 hashes per minute only with a i5 desktop

Ah, I remembered something, do you know the original OneCoin ? Seems it uses a unique algorithm as well.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 08:53:34 PM

Riecoin?

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 10:45:40 PM

Riecoin?

Never heard of this one, gonna look it up.
devvienuis

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 12:56:01 AM

Riecoin?

Looking for CPU mining on 32-core with 128GB I just looked at Riecoin on an exchange: trading halted until new block has been found (>2 weeks now!). Seems that it's cpu-only alright, which is strange for RIE wants to find primes I believe Smiley

DO keep us updated please Smiley

http://cpucoinlist.com/

Devvie
twitter.com/devnullius
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 01:27:52 AM

Riecoin?

Looking for CPU mining on 32-core with 128GB I just looked at Riecoin on an exchange: trading halted until new block has been found (>2 weeks now!). Seems that it's cpu-only alright, which is strange for RIE wants to find primes I believe Smiley

DO keep us updated please Smiley

http://cpucoinlist.com/

Devvie
twitter.com/devnullius

Having trouble syncing, 2 weeks since the last block...too long, I guess that's the problem with one direction difficulty adjustment.

I'm having fun playing with other cpu algos on my private net. I'll be sure to update
devvienuis

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 09:03:32 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=859820.0;all

Devvie
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 11:45:17 PM

Nice!! Thanks, I'll try it out.

hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 06:07:20 AM

Ok, so anyone heard of merged mining on any of these CPU only coins ?
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2014, 12:02:18 PM

Another one is woodcoin.
Currently 100% mined with CPU.  Algo is double skein. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
carlosiness

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 02:18:54 PM

in btc world - dead.

MY ACCOUNT WAS HACKED, BUT THIS ASSHOLE DIDN'T CHANGE THE PASSWORD. I DON'T USED THIS FORUM FOR AGES. YOU COULD SEE IT FROM MY ACTIVITY. I USED THIS FORUM FOR FUN AND TO GET SOME BTC FROM SIGNATURES.. NOW I SEE TERRIBLE POSTS AND CRIMINAL OFFENSE FROM MY ACCOUNT. I FEEL VERY SORRY FOR ALL WHO HARMED FROM THIS LAYER ASSHOLE.. I exported my outbox when he was doing dirty jobs.. OUTBOX HERE FOR DOWNLOAD
Sarahiko

Activity: 772
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 02:21:54 PM

CPU mining is long dead because of the botnets being used. but still i do hope that some could develop a cpu only coin which is resistant to botnets.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 02:42:20 PM

CPU mining is long dead because of the botnets being used. but still i do hope that some could develop a cpu only coin which is resistant to botnets.

Momentum PoW is somewhat botnet resistant. Each thread uses 750Mb memory. So computers infected with malware will be unusably slow when mining this algo. It does nothing to prevent AWS instances. But thats fine in my book since someone is paying for those instead of using some poor slobs cpu cycles without his knowledge.

The coins that use this algo are Protoshare, Noirshares, umm... help me out here, I think there are one or two more.
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2014, 03:07:50 PM

This doesn't make sense.  A proof of work consensus network IS a botnet.  Nobody is out there calculating hashes with wetware. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
spud3861

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 10:23:09 PM

Byte cent is cpu only and is resistant to botnets and supercomputers. Primes per second / hash rate is limited to that of a high end i7 cpu and you cannot mine multiple instances to one wallet. Wallet must hold x byte cents to mine without entering a capcha code. Genius.

TB2YQ4-H73NTI-V3UVRT-WFAJXR-BUSECT-XE4A4L-27FY
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 11:55:02 PM

Momentum PoW is somewhat botnet resistant. Each thread uses 750Mb memory. So computers infected with malware will be unusably slow when mining this algo. It does nothing to prevent AWS instances. But thats fine in my book since someone is paying for those instead of using some poor slobs cpu cycles without his knowledge.

The coins that use this algo are Protoshare, Noirshares, umm... help me out here, I think there are one or two more.

memorycoin

Thus far I've found 3 implementations each unique for momentum PoW.

I am working with the original trying to see if merged mining is possible. That would be a treat.

Barwizi recently released a NoirShares update that eliminates gpu mining for now, I wonder how long that will last.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: