Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 05:25:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook issue?  (Read 830 times)
leex1528 (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 07:38:42 PM

So I had an interesting thing happen to me.  I commented on a thread about the Ferguson incident on one of my Facebook friends posts(I should know better, I was trying to make a point).  Some random guy chimed in and called me a racist(I was not being racist at all) and he encouraged people to contact my work and let them know I am racist.  Well he of course was the only one that contacted my work and my boss literally said"This guy is a bit of a psycho, and you didn't do anything wrong".  He still said exercise caution when using social media etc...

My question is this:  Should I just let it go and make my profile more private?  Should I do anything?  I don't know this kid at all and he really shouldn't be messing with people's jobs when he has no idea who a person is or what they do, because he disagrees with them.  Thoughts?
tattooist

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:14:49 PM

My honest advice would be, don't get involved with facebook.

Simple as that  Wink
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:19:02 PM

I don't think you should re-arrange your entire life because of a one-off incident. That said, how open is your information sharing? Do you share everything with the world?

My Facebook is friends only unless I explicitly choose to let more people see it... That seems like it should be the default, why should anyone want the world to see all of their updates? Social networking is about connecting with friends, not sharing life with the 99.999999999% of the worlds population that we'll never meet. Or at least, that's my theory.
leex1528 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:30:38 PM

I don't think you should re-arrange your entire life because of a one-off incident. That said, how open is your information sharing? Do you share everything with the world?

My Facebook is friends only unless I explicitly choose to let more people see it... That seems like it should be the default, why should anyone want the world to see all of their updates? Social networking is about connecting with friends, not sharing life with the 99.999999999% of the worlds population that we'll never meet. Or at least, that's my theory.

I have it set to Friends only(Certain stuff friends of friends)  I guess I need to exercise more caution when posting on friends posts....Lot of nut jobs out there
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 04:22:45 AM

Wow, that guy is nuts but I would make my profile private so that only family/friends I know can look at my information.
leex1528 (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 01:19:59 PM

Wow, that guy is nuts but I would make my profile private so that only family/friends I know can look at my information.

It was private, I just had my work posted on there to the public, unfortunately that is the default setting when you make your profile private, this issue has now been fixed
nachius

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 02:25:55 PM

it's happening a lot more recently.  People crawl the meta on public social media and do basic research to forward the info and make it more public than just a post:

They end up here:

Caution most of the posts are offensive to most people!

http://racistsgettingfired.tumblr.com/tagged/gotten
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: