Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:38:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Investor To Bitcoin Mining  (Read 1457 times)
davidspitzer (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 05:27:59 AM

I have been doing research for about a month now and I am fascinated with the market shifts in mining from CPU to GPU to FCPA and now ASIC on the horizon. I fundamentally think Bitcoin is a revolution that I want to support and see succeed.

If you had $30,000 to invest in a mining setup what hardware what would you get? - I have been looking at the Butterfly Labs Mini Rig and I am interested, as I am sure you all are, about their ASIC announcement. I have signed up and have been working with MT.Gox., Dwolla and Blockchain to get a feel for the market and flow. I am now working on my encryption strategy for my main wallet along with backup processes. What I was thinking of doing is buying a small board maybe something like a spartan 6 dual or quad to get the hang of the things better while I am waiting for whatever rig I buyis being built. (long lead times right now)

What are your thoughts

David
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 06:43:05 AM

I havent mined since the days you could do so with a cpu which is why I buy mining shares and bonds on glbse.

I would go with the bfl because they offer a trade in when the new ASIC miners come out. Thats my suggestion if you want hardware.

Sant001

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 06:48:22 AM

Buying specialized hardware is a bold move compared to using regular hardware which you could easily resell if later on you wanted out.
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 06:57:48 AM

Regular hardware will not compete given the current and upcoming difficulty
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 07:03:14 AM

Regular hardware will not compete given the current and upcoming difficulty

I'm not mentioning any names, but people talk a lot of crap in these forums.  You have to take everything with a grain of salt.  "Pictures or it didn't happen" is good to always keep in the back of your head. 

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 07:09:00 AM

I would recommend mining bonds on https://glbse.com. There are many available, just research and find the ones that work best for you. Some asset issuers will purchase ASIC hardware in the future to stay relevant.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 07:27:43 AM

I am looking to build my own mining operation  - for profit and for fun (I enjoy technical system design and implementation)
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 07:32:11 AM

I am looking to build my own mining operation  - for profit and for fun (I enjoy technical system design and implementation)

I recommend x6500 boards. They're really well built and have an awesome and professional crew to back them up. They can typically get a large quantity of boards to you within a couple weeks.

It is pretty fun setting it all up, too Smiley

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 07:49:39 AM

If I am using a windows platform would you use GUIminer or the CGminer software (or something else?)
Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 07:52:53 AM

If I am using a windows platform would you use GUIminer or the CGminer software (or something else?)

I use cgminer for GPU mining on my windows/linux machines. IMO, MPBM is the best for FPGAs.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
SaintFlow

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 08:09:54 AM

Welcome David, happy to have you here.

Will your contribution to the "bitcoin economy" mainly consist as a additional
miner? Be aware that buying mining equipment now for 30000 Dollar by no
means assures you of any long term profit because mining represents taking
on a long term stake into bitcoin.

I am curious to know what brought you to bitcoin.

Do you see any other services you can offer?
Have you also looked into buying some bitcoins as part of your strategy?

don't let me make you question your assumptions
Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 08:17:37 AM

I got the notion that he wants to help out the network, aka securing the network by being a "good" miner. He's one of the few that aren't in this for the money Smiley

Go with P2Pool when you do start mining!

davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 08:17:52 AM

Welcome David, happy to have you here.

Will your contribution to the "bitcoin economy" mainly consist as a additional
miner? Be aware that buying mining equipment now for 30000 Dollar by no
means assures you of any long term profit because mining represents taking
on a long term stake into bitcoin.

I am curious to know what brought you to bitcoin.

Do you see any other services you can offer?
Have you also looked into buying some bitcoins as part of your strategy?

I have an account on MT.gox  and plan to invest in Bitcoins themselves also, but I have plans to grow a mining operation starting with FPGA and moving into ASICS as soon as I can acquire them. I also just finished law school and I am fascinated with the economic and taxation issues arising out of this new medium. I think there are many opportunities with Bitcoins and I want to not only make a profit but help promote and grow the ecosystem.
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 08:22:57 AM

I got the notion that he wants to help out the network, aka securing the network by being a "good" miner. He's one of the few that aren't in this for the money Smiley

Go with P2Pool when you do start mining!

I have spent a good deal of time researching the technology and premise behind Bitcoin and I think that it is a very solid idea with a bright future. I want to invest in the network and contribute to the overall growth of the Bitcoin network by not only being a miner but also by offering my calligraphy products from my website for purchase using Bitcoins.

I would like to see more ubiquitous adoption of Bitcoin and I think I can assist.
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 08:25:53 AM

I use cgminer for GPU mining on my windows/linux machines. IMO, MPBM is the best for FPGAs.

would you recommend Linux over Windows? I have experience with both, but ill be honest some of the config in Linux can be tedious. I am willing to engage in extra work though if there is an advantage in using linux over windows though
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 08:46:13 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2012, 09:36:48 AM by rudrigorc2

would you recommend Linux over Windows? I have experience with both, but ill be honest some of the config in Linux can be tedious. I am willing to engage in extra work though if there is an advantage in using linux over windows though

I also have FPGAs and for me CGMINER is better than MPBM. More shares per hour.
MPBM only needs python so the OS is irrelevant.

But In my case I don't need a computer to run it, I plug all the boards via USB into a openwrt router.
See this: http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Icarus#Using_TP-LINK_TL-WR703N_as_host

You might want to know about this FPGA board: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51371.0
And notice theres a new one coming, not yet released: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79835.0
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 08:49:18 AM

I also have FPGAs and for me CGMINER is better than MPBM. More shares per hour.
MPBM only needs python so the OS is irrelevant.

But In my case I don't need a computer to run it, I plug all the boards via USB into a openwrt router.

You might want to know this FPGA board: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51371.0
And there a new one coming, not yet released: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79835.0

thanks ill take a look!
Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 09:10:15 AM

In linux, things seem to work better Smiley

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 09:25:44 AM

Welcome david

I also just finished law school and I am fascinated with the economic and taxation issues arising out of this new medium.
May I ask which country?
There are many soapbox lawyers in the forums, be interesting to have relevant comment at times from someone that actually has studied law (realising of course laws vary from country to country)
cheers
Graet

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 08:45:46 PM

Welcome david

I also just finished law school and I am fascinated with the economic and taxation issues arising out of this new medium.
May I ask which country?
There are many soapbox lawyers in the forums, be interesting to have relevant comment at times from someone that actually has studied law (realising of course laws vary from country to country)
cheers
Graet

Sure, I went to Law School in CA (Concord Law School) and I am scheduled to take the CA Bar Exam at the end of July. It took four years to complete while working full time, so I am excited to see the conclusion Smiley

My emphasis was in cyberlaw and health law (I do consulting for hospitals for security and regulatory issues surrounding electronic medical record systems)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: