Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:40:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What's your status on Mt. Gox?
Unverified - 11 (26.8%)
Verified - 20 (48.8%)
Trusted - 1 (2.4%)
I use other exchanges - 6 (14.6%)
I don't use exchanges - 3 (7.3%)
Total Voters: 41

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Your status on Mt. Gox and why?  (Read 1022 times)
kuverty (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 06:28:10 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2012, 02:30:45 PM by kuverty

What is your status on Mt. Gox? I'm mainly asking because I want to know how many have really sent them the notarized documents with an apostille they're asking for. If you are trusted, did you do it voluntarily? Was the notarization costly or problematic?

I had my account Verified as soon as I started exchanging more since without sending that picture of an ID and a recent utility bill they won't accept euro bank transfers.

I started selling Bitcoins locally for easier and faster access and after about two months and maybe just two thousand euros exchanged later I had my funds frozen and they made it clear that I cannot access my funds without having sent them the notarized documents.
It took me a while because I felt a bit bored with them but then I decided to try. Well, I found that the nearest public notary was close, to the city center and a 5 minute walk. I got to the office where I first got a copy of my proof of residency for 5 € (Mt. Gox says a utility bill will be fine but they won't notarize those here in Finland, if no one's signed those etc, so I had to get that. I  then go to the notary who was available without waiting. I got a copy of my driver's license (1 €), had both documents notarized (4 € per page so that was 8 €) and apostilles for both (2 times 11 euros). So the price for the process was 36 euros which I think is reasonable (could have saved one still if I had photocopied my driver's license myself). But as they were made it was revealed, after a bit of thinking, that they could not add the required expression "Notarization for the purpose of Mt. Gox" because the form of the document is tightly regulated.
So I went home thinking this is the best I can do and contacted Mt. Gox to explain that the notary couldn't add ithe expression they wanted, wishing they'd accept them anyway.

The next day I got the answer: they will accept if I can provide a notary's statement about that the expression couldn't  be added. So, back to the notary's office. They were again puzzled with this request and finally the notary concluded that she was unsure about this and had to discuss this. The next day an older man calls me and explains that he has to think about this in the spirit of the law. A couple of days from that, I get a call that they can add the expression in the documents in the "Use" field and that they thought Mt. Gox's request was well-based. Good thing I didn't just send the documents as I would have had to spend another 36 €... Now I just exchanged the documents for new ones and didn't have to pay anything. About 1 hour extra time needed for this as I was in the city center.

So finally I got what I needed, but there was a little trouble. Anyway, I now have Trusted status, for 36 euros and maybe four hours of effort. How about you? Were the documents a pain in the ass to get?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: