Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:21:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to check address balance  (Read 3417 times)
iskren_ivanov (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 12:50:06 AM

Hi, I'm wondering how can I check balance of bitcoin address without to do query to blockchain.info
I want to do my own payment system for my website, I don't want to use third party site, this is the idea of bitcoin anyway - freedom.
So, it's easy for my to genarate bicoin address with bitcoinJS-lib, but how to check the balance of that address?

Is this possible with Bitcoin Full node, I readed an article about it, it can be done with bitcoind on my own VPS server, OK, I can run a VPS on digitalocean, but can I get balances of any address from it, and how fast it get the changes of the balance?

P.S. Sorry for my English.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
michaeladair

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

I'm a Web Developer: HTML, CSS, PHP, JS.

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 12:59:02 AM

Using the blockchain.info api makes it really easy to check your balance and other address balance. It would be a little silly to go ahead and write your own code for checking balances and whatnot when blockchain.info makes it so easy... Why is it that you do not want to use a third party site anyway?
Blockchain.info is a really trusted site and there shouldn't be any reason why you would not want to utilize it.

iskren_ivanov (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 01:02:21 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2014, 01:17:56 AM by iskren_ivanov

Using the blockchain.info api makes it really easy to check your balance and other address balance. It would be a little silly to go ahead and write your own code for checking balances and whatnot when blockchain.info makes it so easy... Why is it that you do not want to use a third party site anyway?
Blockchain.info is a really trusted site and there shouldn't be any reason why you would not want to utilize it.

Sorry, the question is not "is Blockchain.info trusted". I want to check balances independently, how, this is my question.
Coding is not terrifying me.

OK, I think I found an easy solution, it is the Insight project, it's bitcoin blockchain explorer, I will deal with it.

Anyway, about bitcoind and Bitcoin Full Node, it's good everyone who win from bitcoin, to run one of these, it's good for bitcoin network, as I readed, I will, it's cheap to run VPS in the present, something like $5/month.
activebiz

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 06:07:53 PM

you could use
bitcoind getreceivedbyaddress "address" to get total received coins.

or if you can group addresses in an account.
its much straight with
./bitcoind getbalance "account"

btc_enigma

Activity: 688
Merit: 565

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 12:56:13 PM

yes insight is one of the ways you can do this if you don't want to trust third party

You can also use
https://github.com/bitcoin-abe/bitcoin-abe - You have to run this in addition to running a bitcoin node, it will take some time to store all data in local database and then you can easily make api calls to this to check balance
https://toshi.io/ - open source bitcoin implementation , has api to check balance

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 03:34:27 PM

The latest stable version of bitcoind (0.9.3) only lets you check the balance of addresses in your wallet. This is a limitation due to the way the database works. If you want to check the balance of addresses not in your wallet (such as bitcoin addresses that are stored offline), you need to use a separate database, I'd recommend looking into bitcoin-abe.

The newest version of bitcoind (0.10) has the ability to add watch-only addresses to your wallet, though this release is still being tested and not really recommended for a production environment right now.

You could use a SPV wallet such as electrum to do address lookups. SPV wallets still do lookups over the main Bitcoin network, however there is less privacy when using one (the nodes may be able to figure out your addresses).

Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 03:34:42 PM

Hi, I'm wondering how can I check balance of bitcoin address without to do query to blockchain.info
I want to do my own payment system for my website, I don't want to use third party site, this is the idea of bitcoin anyway - freedom.
So, it's easy for my to genarate bicoin address with bitcoinJS-lib, but how to check the balance of that address?

Is this possible with Bitcoin Full node, I readed an article about it, it can be done with bitcoind on my own VPS server, OK, I can run a VPS on digitalocean, but can I get balances of any address from it, and how fast it get the changes of the balance?

I've done some googling and here is what I've found , Pretty sure it will help you with a way or another . Check them out  :
https://github.com/johl/bitcoin-balance
& this one too : https://github.com/lian/bitcoin-ruby/blob/master/examples/balance.rb

ahmi

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 03:04:27 PM

How to Check!!!
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042

https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 04:12:56 PM

i think here you can find a lot of info

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/API_reference_(JSON-RPC)

if this is not what do you expect,
give us more details..

SO
environment
language
etc etc

have fun!!!

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: