Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:22:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Bitcoin master thesis  (Read 42758 times)
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 10:44:02 PM

Brilliant master thesis, I have a feeling you'll feel more criticism from your peers here than whom marked this paper (teacher).
Not because you really got anything wrong, but damn we can be picky.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThePiachu (OP)

Activity: 444
Merit: 307

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 10:52:38 PM

Brilliant master thesis, I have a feeling you'll feel more criticism from your peers here than whom marked this paper (teacher).

Yes, I knew what I was getting myself into when posting it, and well, it will allow me to write some small follow up addressing all the nitpicks to make the dissertation all that more valuable.

My supervisors weren't generally picky with it, most I got was "remove long quotes, add some basic explanation of the gist of what Bitcoin is and a chapter describing how different people view Bitcoin from their perspective". I don't think the reviewer had any problems with it either. Overall I got the highest grade for my thesis.

1HWbVLhxj7bhewhyapMZpyhqWAeAhJd51E
My Bitcoin Calculator:
http://tpbitcalc.appspot.com/
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 07:21:42 AM

Yes, I knew what I was getting myself into when posting it, and well, it will allow me to write some small follow up addressing all the nitpicks to make the dissertation all that more valuable.

My supervisors weren't generally picky with it, most I got was "remove long quotes, add some basic explanation of the gist of what Bitcoin is and a chapter describing how different people view Bitcoin from their perspective". I don't think the reviewer had any problems with it either. Overall I got the highest grade for my thesis.

Congrats then! Well done on achieving that grade. Any big plans now you've got your masters?

ThePiachu (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 11:09:15 AM

Find some job, earn some money, work on some side-projects, move eventually. I should give the vanity pool website some attention, and I've also got an idea for another Bitcoin-powered website for artists (although I'll probably have to incorporate Paypal into this as well).

My Bitcoin Calculator:
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 11:28:31 AM

great work!

-
scribe

Activity: 295

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 11:44:12 AM

Looks like a really useful - and accessible - read. Looking forward to browsing this alongside Bitcoin Magazine Smiley

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 12:46:03 PM

great! reading it right now.

don't assume just because we find some errors in it the work is not excellent. you face some of the most critically thinking individuals here.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 04:15:13 PM

Is this research for your doctoral dissertation: Study in social engineering - willingness of users to download and use a file format with a history of multiple security exploits and remote code execution vulnerabilities onto their personal computers containing digital currencies?
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:07:40 PM

lol, that is not the best reason to hate pdf though. The main reason is the format itself.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:14:41 PM

Apparently Polish universities consider Master's theses on actual content and not just weight as American universities do. Less than 100 pages with citations? You got off easy there! I had to cough up 312 pages for "Comparative Models of Worker Housing - Failure in the American Entitlement Model of Subsidized Housing". And I'm guessing you have had at least 20X the readers that I have had in 30 years less time.

Well done, Scholar.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:16:42 PM

For the same amount of content explained in a similar level of quality and clarity "less is more" is definitely valid.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:48:22 PM

“I have only made this letter longer because I have not had the time to make it shorter.”

Blaise Pascal

-
ThePiachu (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 06:51:18 PM

don't assume just because we find some errors in it the work is not excellent. you face some of the most critically thinking individuals here.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Thanks to such scrutiny I'll be able to write some small follow up to my thesis explaining what things I got wrong in it, to allow future readers not to make the same mistakes.

Is this research for your doctoral dissertation: Study in social engineering - willingness of users to download and use a file format with a history of multiple security exploits and remote code execution vulnerabilities onto their personal computers containing digital currencies?
Hmm, sounds interesting. But sadly, no, I'm not that smart to pull some stunt like that off;). Heck, I didn't even know there were any problems like that with PDFs...

Apparently Polish universities consider Master's theses on actual content and not just weight as American universities do. Less than 100 pages with citations? You got off easy there! I had to cough up 312 pages for "Comparative Models of Worker Housing - Failure in the American Entitlement Model of Subsidized Housing". And I'm guessing you have had at least 20X the readers that I have had in 30 years less time.

Well done, Scholar.

Ouch, that is a bit harsh. I think there might be even be some amount of pages here that is considered too much, and that would be about 100. After that the reviewers might scowl (although there is no strict formal limit of pages).

Heck, when I was writing my bachelor's thesis on an erasmus exchange in UK and then used it again in my polish university, I had to increase my page count from 46 to 54 with just some basic theory (also removing all project management pages).

It might be due to the fact that for a long while getting a master's degree over here was considered a standard for a lot of people - I think the bachelor's degrees have been introduced not long ago, before that it was either master's or getting some work education. So I doubt too many people would be getting that degree if it took so much effort, while in other countries it might be considered more uncommon, thus requiring more work.

My Bitcoin Calculator:
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:44:30 PM

Yes, I'm aware of that. Thanks to such scrutiny I'll be able to write some small follow up to my thesis explaining what things I got wrong in it, to allow future readers not to make the same mistakes.

Hmm, sounds interesting. But sadly, no, I'm not that smart to pull some stunt like that off;). Heck, I didn't even know there were any problems like that with PDFs...

Well done, Scholar.

Ouch, that is a bit harsh. I think there might be even be some amount of pages here that is considered too much, and that would be about 100. After that the reviewers might scowl (although there is no strict formal limit of pages).

Heck, when I was writing my bachelor's thesis on an erasmus exchange in UK and then used it again in my polish university, I had to increase my page count from 46 to 54 with just some basic theory (also removing all project management pages).

It might be due to the fact that for a long while getting a master's degree over here was considered a standard for a lot of people - I think the bachelor's degrees have been introduced not long ago, before that it was either master's or getting some work education. So I doubt too many people would be getting that degree if it took so much effort, while in other countries it might be considered more uncommon, thus requiring more work.

i finished it yesterday.  well done.  learned alot about the various attacks possible.  i'm not sure there's another work out there as complete as yours. Cheesy
ThePiachu (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 07:48:04 PM

From what I read, no, unless you count the Stack Exchange as a whole.

My Bitcoin Calculator:
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:57:32 PM

Two things that jumped out at me reading the first few pages:

Page 17: 

D = T/TMin.

I think you mean D = TMin/T as TMin is actually a larger number.

2.1.3 Ideally, the hashing algorithms should be free of collisions[1], meaning that for any two
different messages that are used as an input of the function, their digests should always
be different. Otherwise algorithm is considered broken, as it opens a possibility of data
manipulation.

I don't think you mean that.  You mean it's computationally infeasible to find a collision.   Collisions
are guaranteed for any shortening hash function such as SHA256, which isn't considered broken.
SimonL

Activity: 113
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 06:15:46 AM

I lightly skimmed and this could be a great resource. Great work, and thank you. This really adds value and depth to the Bitcoin community.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 09:48:18 PM

bumping in case some of you missed this topic (1st post especially)

Signature space available for rent.
Unuser

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:10:57 PM

Grammar errors, my friend.
ThePiachu (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 01:12:09 PM