Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:53:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the fastest FPGA available today?  (Read 2181 times)
simon66 (OP)

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:44:00 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a personal project and I got a few $$ to spend, but no one to claim it lol.

I trying to build a "tower" of FPGAs that can do simple calculation (Like a = 65 <--- ASCII, add 1 which equals to 66 that represents 66 and so on)

I wrote a little while loop on C that does this for me, but the think is on my core i7 I can generate around 5k per second, which is not that bad, but I need it to go faster. I'm looking at around 500k per sec. This is why I'm going FPGA.

I saw this dev board ( bemicro ), which has an FPGA on it. Is it faster then my core i7 CPU? Is an ALTERA, should I get an XILINX one?

Thanks.

PS. My sentences always starts with an "I" hahahaha. Sorry Tongue
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:46:22 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a personal project and I got a few $$ to spend, but no one to claim it lol.

I trying to build a "tower" of FPGAs that can do simple calculation (Like a = 65 <--- ASCII, add 1 which equals to 66 that represents 66 and so on)

I wrote a little while loop on C that does this for me, but the think is on my core i7 I can generate around 5k per second, which is not that bad, but I need it to go faster. I'm looking at around 500k per sec. This is why I'm going FPGA.

I saw this dev board ( bemicro ), which has an FPGA on it. Is it faster then my core i7 CPU? Is an ALTERA, should I get an XILINX one?

Thanks.

I would seriously start by optimizing your code, if the calculation is anywhere near as simple as you say and you can only do 5k a second.
simon66 (OP)

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:55:11 AM

Hi all,

Thanks.

I would seriously start by optimizing your code, if the calculation is anywhere near as simple as you say and you can only do 5k a second.

there are a few some conversions, but 5k is the the top. I could push it to 6k, but my computer is slower than a board specifically built for my needs lol.
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 05:02:44 AM

What is the calculation that must be done?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: