Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2017, 03:25:18 AM *
News: If the forum does not load normally for you, please send me a traceroute.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the fastest FPGA available today?  (Read 1979 times)
simon66

Activity: 405

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:44:00 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a personal project and I got a few $$ to spend, but no one to claim it lol.

I trying to build a "tower" of FPGAs that can do simple calculation (Like a = 65 <--- ASCII, add 1 which equals to 66 that represents 66 and so on)

I wrote a little while loop on C that does this for me, but the think is on my core i7 I can generate around 5k per second, which is not that bad, but I need it to go faster. I'm looking at around 500k per sec. This is why I'm going FPGA.

I saw this dev board ( bemicro ), which has an FPGA on it. Is it faster then my core i7 CPU? Is an ALTERA, should I get an XILINX one?

Thanks.

PS. My sentences always starts with an "I" hahahaha. Sorry Tongue
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:46:22 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a personal project and I got a few $$ to spend, but no one to claim it lol.

I trying to build a "tower" of FPGAs that can do simple calculation (Like a = 65 <--- ASCII, add 1 which equals to 66 that represents 66 and so on)

I wrote a little while loop on C that does this for me, but the think is on my core i7 I can generate around 5k per second, which is not that bad, but I need it to go faster. I'm looking at around 500k per sec. This is why I'm going FPGA.

I saw this dev board ( bemicro ), which has an FPGA on it. Is it faster then my core i7 CPU? Is an ALTERA, should I get an XILINX one?

Thanks.

I would seriously start by optimizing your code, if the calculation is anywhere near as simple as you say and you can only do 5k a second.
simon66

Activity: 405

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:55:11 AM

Hi all,

Thanks.

I would seriously start by optimizing your code, if the calculation is anywhere near as simple as you say and you can only do 5k a second.

there are a few some conversions, but 5k is the the top. I could push it to 6k, but my computer is slower than a board specifically built for my needs lol.
pieppiep

Activity: 435

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 05:02:44 AM

What is the calculation that must be done?

████████████████████████████
████████████████
██████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
███████
████████████████████