December 03, 2014, 09:05:10 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2017, 09:19:29 PM by Stealthcoin

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 09:10:41 PM

It's very smart to have a single point of failure blockchain...
NxtSwag

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 09:15:22 PM

Have they heard about supernet? Roll Eyes

TD367D-V7SCYE-WZHX66-IYAUMN-7PSUKE-NDHWNB-NDXU
hack_

Activity: 501
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 10:00:12 PM

While the altcoin community has it's faults, we do have a major strength that will one day push the development of something greater than Bitcoin.

Altcoiners are persistent risk takers who are really living on the edge of cryptos.

Think about it, we on this much abused, sidelined board have experimented on all that is the bitcoin codebase. From plain PoW (which is fuelling an unending crypto arms race ) we have come up with PoS , PoC , PoV, and many others.

We have proven the viability of many other hash functions as well as using them in various combinations to improve security. We have done the taboo changes and lived to tell the story. Lets not even tslk about things like BTS and their toolkit, or cryptonote based currencies .

Since 2012 the altcoin section has done more for decentralized cryptos than the vaunted Bitcoin discussion.

It's not always about being proven right, some times being proven wrong is good for the community.

Altcoins have already proven that the 10 minute block target is far too long to be effective. Hell, I can transact with my credit card faster than my BTC will be confirmed.

CORE devs have known about blockchain bloat for a long time now.....any progress in fixing that major hurdle? Altcoins can take off some of the load , and I also hear there is mini blockchain already implemented somewhere here.

There's so much to say that puts the altcoin ahead, they can never shut it down
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2014, 10:07:46 PM

Bitcoin is like an unfinished Picasso painting abandoned by its artist. The unvanished Picasso's are currently making Altcoins.
sniveling

Activity: 719
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 10:15:16 PM

CORE devs have known about blockchain bloat for a long time now.....any progress in fixing that major hurdle?

The Qora dev is considering implementing blockchain pruning in the future. If he does it perhaps the CORE devs might use his ideas to fix bitcoin's blockchain bloat.
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 02:39:39 AM

I keep hearing from the sidechain proponents how the alt world is just a den of scams and thieves...yet they want the ideas and code that these scammers created...

To me it's always "follow the money".

YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 09:19:08 AM

"Having a zillion altcoins doesn’t make a lot of sense, right? Because they’re fighting against each other rather than against the traditional, inefficient things that they should be fighting against. "

Yeah let's all march in unison. smash the wall street, bring down the state.

"Another way to say this would be to point out that altcoins weaken the network effect of cryptocurrencies as a whole. It’s hard enough for bitcoin to continue to grow as a network with all of the fiat currencies out there as competition, and breaking up that network effect into multiple coins only makes it harder for one of them to eventually succeed."

There can only be ME! Your processor belongs to ME!

“God does not play dice"
ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 09:24:43 AM

SuperNet.
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 09:33:00 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2014, 10:31:39 AM by devphp

"Having a zillion altcoins doesn’t make a lot of sense, right? Because they’re fighting against each other rather than against the traditional, inefficient things that they should be fighting against. "

Sounds like a perfect one-liner description of Bitcoin.
PoW as it's implemented in Bitcoin is both inefficient and vulnerable.
Some PoW are still inefficient but at least much less vulnerable.
goosoodude

Activity: 584
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 11:04:46 AM

Its not surprising. They want to protect their own investment, and sidechains mean they get more value in Bitcoin.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 12:45:07 PM

Its not surprising. They want to protect their own investment, and sidechains mean they get more value in Bitcoin.

Right. Bitcoin core devs now play political games. And as all politicians they lie.
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 05:20:25 PM

its getting increasing nauseating to read and follow bitcoin devs and advocates as they more and more exudes an aura of being the "chosen crypto", if only satoshi was still around.

from this point anyone getting into a coin that is completely open is not only making tracking of wealth easier but making early adopters even richer, now that the world knows the power of crypto we can look around and find safer and fairer coins.

It's almost scary as they seem to be pushing for a one-world currency which is IMO even worse than centralized banking. Seriously how many keep decrying the death of fiat and Bitcoin taking over everything?

I'm not a religious person by any means but I can see some parallels between the mark of the beast and chips being implanted into your skin, only way to purchase things is digitally, etc.

Like Ron Paul said, we should have many currencies floating around that encourage competition and healthy trade amongst one another.
juicyjuice87

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 12:50:39 AM

It's very smart to have a single point of failure blockchain...

I thought this was worth mentioning again lol
DrGrid

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 01:41:55 AM

Don't forget that Peercoin and Datacoin (two very notorious Alts) have their technology partially integrated in nearly every Bitcoin 2.0 project (even those built on top of Bitcoin).
The two Bitcoin core devs I have met so far have had more or less the same opinion. To an extent I can sympathise with them being hard on the security and cryptographic side and the destructive part of having too many blockchains. I believe this is a necessary evil, since a lot of code and financial based experimentation is still required to find the golden balance and this experimentation cannot be done directly on the Bitcoin blockchain, nor in Bitcoin Testnet.

Bitrated user: DrGrid.
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:48:42 AM

To an extent I can sympathise with them being hard on the security and cryptographic side and the destructive part of having too many blockchains.

That's just the point that I fail to see. What are they destroying?

“God does not play dice"
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:54:19 AM

That's just the point that I fail to see. What are they destroying?

Their investments in Bitcoin, obviously.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: