Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:10:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pontinha: A sovereign nation seeking a national currency?  (Read 2015 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 04:11:50 AM

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/nov/14/experience-i-founded-my-own-country

My father wasn’t a king, he was a taxi driver, but I am a prince – Prince Renato II, of the country Pontinha, an island fort on Funchal harbour. It’s in Madeira, Portugal, where I grew up. It was discovered in 1419; Captain James Cook has been here, and there are paintings of his visit.

The Portuguese gastronomic speciality is bacalhau. But we are running out of cod in our oceans now, and we buy it from another country. So my gastronomy, my country’s speciality, is takeaway.

FYI: codcoin.com is available.  Kiss
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 04:14:07 AM

What would the TLD be for Pontinha?
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 04:17:05 AM

Hell, half the marketing is already accomplished.
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 10:57:08 AM

LOL the national currency is only kept by your family members! You can create as many as you like! I don't think anyone will be interested at it !
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2014, 12:23:34 PM

If it became their national currency, then the supposed law in Ecuador against Bitcoin would no longer exist as the law allows for only nationally recognized currencies to be used on its banking networks. (not that Bitcoin is used on their banking networks anyway)

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Giulio Prisco

Activity: 173
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 02:56:08 PM

If the story is true, if Pontinha is really recognized as a sovereign nation, and if this guy can be talked into adopting Bitcoin as an official currency in Pontinha (not necessarily the only one), this could be huge. Anyone doing research and talking to the guy? For something that big it would be easy to find the money to build the minimal infrastructure for a nation.
Giulio Prisco

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 02:57:30 PM

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principado_da_Pontinha
Giulio Prisco

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 03:04:12 PM

In English: http://www.fortesaojose.org/
Giulio Prisco

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 04:34:51 PM

Some research and links here: https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/micronation-adopts-bitcoin-official-currency/
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 08:40:09 PM

If the story is true, if Pontinha is really recognized as a sovereign nation, and if this guy can be talked into adopting Bitcoin as an official currency in Pontinha (not necessarily the only one), this could be huge. Anyone doing research and talking to the guy? For something that big it would be easy to find the money to build the minimal infrastructure for a nation.

Hence this thread, to bring attention to such to those into these sorts of things, of which I personally have reservations, but still see some beauty in such a creation.

Bear in mind (can't to seem to find it now) that the dude is not one of them money hungry folks, content with what he has, thus would be a hard-sell. But, such a coin could be created on the side as a novelty or connect to some utility use(s).
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 08:43:31 PM

Hence this thread, to bring attention to such to those into these sorts of things, of which I personally have reservations, but still see some beauty in such a creation.

Bear in mind (can't to seem to find it now) that the dude is not one of them money hungry folks, content with what he has, thus would be a hard-sell. But, such a coin could be created on the side as a novelty or connect to some utility use(s).

Bruno, when u r gonna come back with your original profile ?

Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 08:49:46 PM

Bruno, when u r gonna come back with your original profile ?

When my debt's paid off.

Back on topic, I'm sure that the Templar Knights of the Principality of Ilhéu da Pontinha at Forte São José wouldn't mind being paid in whatever form or currency, but ideally I'd say they rather have currency from the sovereign nation they're sworn to protect, eh?

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 10:17:08 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2016, 10:08:57 PM by pedrog

He is a funny guy, one can even say he is a joke.

He bought a building in 2000 that has a particular history in Portugal because it was sold by the king of Portugal when the country was broke in 1903.

He clearly likes monarchy and likes people to call him "Your Majesty".

Here's the building:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: