IMHO, the Project Development subforum is too large. That is to say, it's current defined bounds are too much of a catch all. Letter writing campaigns, media appearances, mobile apps, mining pools, exchanges, eWallets, promotions and everything else go in there, making it very hard to find exactly what you want, and very intimidating to get involved. It's the "junk drawer" of subforums.
Therefore I'm proposing it gets broken up into categories that can be defined from the biggest chunks of contents in the forum. Here are a few that I've been able to glean from perusing a few pages.
- Project Development (Things directly related to developing the core services that are part of Bitcoin, like the official Apps, nodes, servers, protocols, and things that make up the official Bitcoin infrastructure)
- Bitcoin Apps and Services (end-user stuff)
- Mobile Apps and Services
- Media appearances
- Promoting Bitcoin
Now, I know that "Other" is a catch-all forum, which this is all about eliminating, but there will always be ideas that just don't fit into categories large enough to warrant their own subforum. And if they do become large enough, no reason you can't add another one in the future based on what happens there.
A similar situation exists in Mining. The first page alone are all new posts generated within eight hours of each other. A busy forum is good, but it's hard to browse. So mining subforums might be a good idea too. Consider these proposals:
- Mining Apps (News and info about the actual mining software)
- Mining Pools (News and questions about the pools)
- Mining Theory (optimal hardware, theoretical problems, GPU vs. CPU)
Perhaps there could be more, but that's, again, a quick glance.
Just an idea to hopefully make the forum a bit easier to browse and understand for people new to Bitcoin.