Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:13:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you think the auction will affect the price, why?  (Read 4359 times)
sniveling

Activity: 719
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 07:01:39 PM

I think the auction will be won at above market price. Simply because it is difficult to reliably buy large amounts of bitcoin for large investors. This auction is a great opportunity for them. This doesn't mean potential investors will not dump the bitcoin they now have to lower the market price.

no chance, feds will sell em off as cheaply as they can

Why not sell them all in one auction then? I'm wondering if the feds are not auctioning all the coins because they think they might get more for them in the future.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 07:02:46 PM

Feds cannot control how much bidders offer. They will have sell to the highest bidder. How can they sell them as cheaply as they can?
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 08:02:09 PM

Feds cannot control how much bidders offer. They will have sell to the highest bidder. How can they sell them as cheaply as they can?

the land of the brave and the home of the free.
they can do whatever the heck they like, as is their wont.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 09:33:24 PM

Probably a small uptick in the price.  There are still plenty of whales who want in without slippage.

Look at the ~25k BTC bought by a big whale last month in the BIT.  Dollar cost averaged in for 2.5 million every week.

Coinshot

Activity: 521

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 10:28:22 PM

If it goes below 350, it will not stop there and I can see it going below 300. Good time to buy for all those who believe in this.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

fewcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 02:25:44 AM

If it goes below 350, it will not stop there and I can see it going below 300. Good time to buy for all those who believe in this.

Good time to sell & buy back at least 100$ cheaper... Ride the wave down... However low it goes!
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:25:10 AM

I'm not buying it, sorry.  I see no reason why the coins will sell at a level that would make arbitrage profitable.  Any bidder who allows another bidder to outbid them at a price where arbitrage is profitable is a fool.
fewcoins

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 04:45:40 AM

I'm not buying it, sorry.  I see no reason why the coins will sell at a level that would make arbitrage profitable.  Any bidder who allows another bidder to outbid them at a price where arbitrage is profitable is a fool.

This isn't a ebay auction bro it's a sealed envelope auction. You put your bid in and they see who really wanted it bad enough. Last idiot who overpaid JUST to make sure they win ALL the coins was Tim Draper and that retard is down millions!
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:56:12 AM

I'm not buying it, sorry.  I see no reason why the coins will sell at a level that would make arbitrage profitable.  Any bidder who allows another bidder to outbid them at a price where arbitrage is profitable is a fool.

This isn't a ebay auction bro it's a sealed envelope auction. You put your bid in and they see who really wanted it bad enough. Last idiot who overpaid JUST to make sure they win ALL the coins was Tim Draper and that retard is down millions!
When Bitcoins are at the moon, you won't call him a retard anymore. Wink
I mean seriously, maybe he just had the confidence, that they will be worth more in the future and didn't care, if he payed too much in today's terms.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 08:44:11 AM

Satoshi is mortal. Say what you will, but almost nobody is throwing away that much money. Do people here really expect his coins to never be sold or used for their intended purpose [currency]? Is that realistic or just wishful thinking? Sure, maybe not this year, or next year, but someday it will happen. Until it does, his coins will remain a question mark scarring the decentralization of Bitcoin.

Like you said, Satoshi is mortal.

As such, there is a reasonable chance that he is already dead and failed to notify is friends or family about his creation and his private keys.  Therefore, it is quite possible that those bitcoins will never be moved at all.

Do you have reason to believe that Satoshi was/is at a significantly increased risk of death compared to the average person? If not, I don't view it as reasonable possibility - it's incredibly unlikely for the average person to die in a several year timespan.

fewcoins

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 09:10:17 AM

I'm not buying it, sorry.  I see no reason why the coins will sell at a level that would make arbitrage profitable.  Any bidder who allows another bidder to outbid them at a price where arbitrage is profitable is a fool.

I mean seriously, maybe he just had the confidence, that they will be worth more in the future and didn't care, if he payed too much in today's terms.

You're missing the point bro... NOBODY in the bitcoin game does their own research or due diligence (hence the wild emotional swings the market has)
This is why nobody here even has any clue how these coins are sold. You fool's hear auction & act like you know what you are talking about.
Look deeper, do you research, check out if bitcoin is sustainable FOR YOURSELF not what mad bitcoins & coin desk says. Be serious guys, This is worse than the housing crisis.
SCAMS, FRAUD! That is all I see here, the government wants nothing to do with this soon to be worthless digital junk.
Something is already coming out to replace bitcoin & it is far from apple pay. Technology always evolves guys that's how we got bitcoin.
Move on. It's over. Wake up now while you still have a chance.
You have been warned.
turvarya

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 09:19:33 AM

You're missing the point bro... NOBODY in the bitcoin game does their own research or due diligence (hence the wild emotional swings the market has)
This is why nobody here even has any clue how these coins are sold. You fool's hear auction & act like you know what you are talking about.
Look deeper, do you research, check out if bitcoin is sustainable FOR YOURSELF not what mad bitcoins & coin desk says. Be serious guys, This is worse than the housing crisis.
SCAMS, FRAUD! That is all I see here, the government wants nothing to do with this soon to be worthless digital junk.
Something is already coming out to replace bitcoin & it is far from apple pay. Technology always evolves guys that's how we got bitcoin.
Move on. It's over. Wake up now while you still have a chance.
You have been warned.
Could you please just leave? Please.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 10:21:56 AM

Probably no reaction this time since the last time was a big disappointment.

Basically buy the rumor and sell the news.
esse83

Activity: 545

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 10:51:47 AM

Let's not forget that we won't receive any information at all concerning the auction:

6) What information about the auction process or results will the USMS release?
The USMS will contact the winning and losing bidders directly. The USMS will not release any information to the general public pertaining to the auction process or results.

“Bitcoin is wild and crazy investment that I’m diversifying out of all the time,” - Gavin Andresen
turvarya

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 11:46:43 AM

Let's not forget that we won't receive any information at all concerning the auction:

The USMS will contact the winning and losing bidders directly. The USMS will not release any information to the general public pertaining to the auction process or results.
I am pretty sure, there are some bitcoiners out there, who will research, who got the bitcoin, since the bitcoin ledger is public and you can't really hide such large sums.

NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 12:40:36 PM

I am pretty sure, there are some bitcoiners out there, who will research, who got the bitcoin, since the bitcoin ledger is public and you can't really hide such large sums.

What will that research tell you, other than "coin has moved from US Marshals address to other addresses"?  At best, you'll learn if all the coin was sold to a single bidder, or to multiple.  How would blockchain research looking at the blockchain tell you anything meaningful, like bid amounts?
turvarya

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 12:45:56 PM

What will that research tell you, other than "coin has moved from US Marshals address to other addresses"?  At best, you'll learn if all the coin was sold to a single bidder, or to multiple.  How would blockchain research looking at the blockchain tell you anything meaningful, like bid amounts?
Like I said, they will research who got the bitcoin, unless they are just sitting there on the new address doing nothing.
I never said anything about bid amounts.

LewiesMan (OP)

Activity: 384

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:37:03 PM

Satoshi is mortal. Say what you will, but almost nobody is throwing away that much money. Do people here really expect his coins to never be sold or used for their intended purpose [currency]? Is that realistic or just wishful thinking? Sure, maybe not this year, or next year, but someday it will happen. Until it does, his coins will remain a question mark scarring the decentralization of Bitcoin.

Like you said, Satoshi is mortal.

As such, there is a reasonable chance that he is already dead and failed to notify is friends or family about his creation and his private keys.  Therefore, it is quite possible that those bitcoins will never be moved at all.

I think it is possible he is dead but highly unlikely. I think he still is around and still involved in the bitcoin ecosphere.
LewiesMan (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:37:48 PM

They could accept the low offer they get and since no one knows about the specifics, they could say that the offer they accepted was the highest when in fact it wasn't..
LewiesMan (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:38:41 PM

Probably a small uptick in the price.  There are still plenty of whales who want in without slippage.

Look at the ~25k BTC bought by a big whale last month in the BIT.  Dollar cost averaged in for 2.5 million every week.

Not plenty of whales, just a couple who own extremely large stashes of bitcoins and/or fiat.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: