Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:40:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin flash mob.  (Read 1776 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 11:11:56 AM

http://tarrinlupo.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/what-the-heck-is-bitcoin-is-it-a-huge-untapped-market-for-authors-and-publishers/

I was reading this article about an author who has decided to try coindl to sell his books and I came up with an idea - We choose one merchant for a day or week and all pledge to buy something from them during that time.

For instance one of his books https://www.coindl.com/page/item/236 for .159 isnt much to spend.

Along with supporting worthy  people who have decided to try bitcoin it will also support merchants.

What do you think ?

P.S. this should be a website  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 11:19:08 AM

The problem is that I don't have time to read any books since I'm developing bitcoin related software/web sites all the time Cheesy

And my kindle already broke recently...

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 11:24:18 AM

The problem is that I don't have time to read any books since I'm developing bitcoin related software/web sites all the time Cheesy

And my kindle already broke recently...

lol. This was just an example for the sake of the experiment  Smiley

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 11:52:39 AM

I thought about this a couple years ago, admittedly for my alternative currency. http://shiresilver.com/blog/2010/sep/user_swarm_idea_seven_days

Its a good idea, but I think it would go over better if the economy was better and more people had more disposable income.

But if anyone wants to flash mob my store...  Grin

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 12:04:10 PM

It's an excellent idea and I'm in. Though, this has come up a few times and two essential resources were missing:

• Someone to coordinate the damn thing responsibly for a long period of time.
  • A method to pick the merchant. A website is a good idea.

Maybe we can wind one of the directory operators up. We somehow choose a merchant (via a method integrated in the directory itself), trade for a week and write reviews / pick a new one the following week.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 12:08:11 PM

It's an excellent idea and I'm in. Though, this has come up a few times and two essential resources were missing:

• Someone to coordinate the damn thing responsibly for a long period of time.
  • A method to pick the merchant. A website is a good idea.

Maybe we can wind one of the directory operators up. We somehow choose a merchant, trade for a week and write reviews / pick a new one the following week.

Not a daily deals  site but a "daily flash mob"

The merchant could be chosen by voting I guess. I see it like the "bitcoin 100" except for merchants.

Perhaps...each merchant is assigned a bitcoin address and members of the site vote by sending coins there. The pledge money then gets taken off the purchase price somehow....

rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 12:14:40 PM

For instance one of his books https://www.coindl.com/page/item/236 for .159 isnt much to spend.

saw this transit of venus stuff on a newspaper last week 2wks ago, cool black dot picture over the red planet. but missed the thing...
btw, correct the price, is 0.989 BTC now, for 18 pages!

I guess a good flash mob would be like, we make a line -- no, not a line -- group some people side by side, wearing some BTC logo shirt or something, next to a crowded ATM place, each one holding a notebook or any mobile device, everyone represents a bank right?  you got this ?

then, to make it an act,  group other people to get into the ATM line, and suddendly, one step out the atm line and pick some one of the BTC bankers, make a transaction, and go for a buy -> we could set up a merchant near this "stage" too, sell the guy a lemonade or something.
then the others on the atm line , choose each one a btc trader and thats it. repeat.

too complicated?
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 12:18:15 PM

saw this transit of venus stuff on a newspaper last week, cool black dot over the red planet.

I guess a good flash mob would be like, we make a line -- no, not a line -- group some people side by side, wearing some BTC logo shirt or something, next to a crowded ATM place, each one holding a notebook or any mobile device, everyone represents a bank right?  you got this ?

then, to make it an act,  group other people to get into the ATM line, and suddendly, one step out the atm line and pick some one of the BTC bankers, make a transaction, and go for a buy -> we could set up a merchant near this "stage" too, sell the guy a lemonade or something.
then the others on the atm line , choose each one a btc trader and thats it. repeat.

too complicated?

Bitcoiners are too spread out to do a physical one probably. Might be an idea for the future though Smiley

rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 12:21:19 PM

saw this transit of venus stuff on a newspaper last week, cool black dot over the red planet.

too complicated?

Bitcoiners are too spread out to do a physical one probably. Might be an idea for the future though Smiley

Sure! But how to attract the curious minds if its not physical? I dont get it. Dont think what you suggested could be classified as flashmob
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 12:26:38 PM

too complicated?

Sure! But how to attract the curious minds if its not physical? I dont get it.

Its a similar idea to groupon whether its online or in meatspace. You still need a mechanism to organise it all.

memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 12:33:17 PM

The merchant could be chosen by voting I guess. I see it like the "bitcoin 100" except for merchants.

Perhaps...each merchant is assigned a bitcoin address and members of the site vote by sending coins there. The pledge money then gets taken off the purchase price somehow....

Bitcoin 100 is a good concept but it seemed like a coordination nightmare. And it seems stagnant.

I suggested a merchant directory, because there is incentive for the directory operator to implement the necessary technical structure. Though it's not at all essential. We could use a discrete forum/channel to reach a consensus and then get into action. Every week?
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 12:39:56 PM

Bitcoin 100 is a good concept but it seemed like a coordination nightmare. And it seems stagnant.

I suggested a merchant directory, because there is incentive for the directory operator to implement the necessary technical structure. Though it's not at all essential. We could use a discrete forum/channel to reach a consensus and then get into action. Every week?

Yes a merchant directory is probably the best way to do it. Perhaps an irc chan.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:01:35 PM

Not a daily deals site but a "daily flash mob"

Sounds like a BuyCott:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buycott

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:13:12 AM

Haha, just got an idea.

We've all seen those flash mobs that do different stuff in public places, like a lot of people suddenly start dancing in a train station, or hundreds of people "freezing" their movements. It would be cool if hundreds of people met up, then suddenly all took off their jackets, and "freezing" displaying t-shirts with the wording: "Bitcoin - disruptive technology!"

Smiley
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 04:23:47 AM

Someone should set up a bitcoin themed MP3 Experiment with those Improv Everywhere guys.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 04:24:47 AM

Sounds like a BuyCott:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buycott

Yes thats exactly what it is.

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 04:25:49 AM

Haha, just got an idea.

We've all seen those flash mobs that do different stuff in public places, like a lot of people suddenly start dancing in a train station, or hundreds of people "freezing" their movements. It would be cool if hundreds of people met up, then suddenly all took off their jackets, and "freezing" displaying t-shirts with the wording: "Bitcoin - disruptive technology!"

Smiley

We should do it at a BANK.

Or the federal reserve  Smiley

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 12:45:48 PM

Sounds like a BuyCott: