Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:35:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly labs mining rig  (Read 1933 times)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 02:44:23 PM

I came across the Butterfly labs mining board. The "Single" they call it. Anyone have any info on something like this? It has a MH of 832/sec which is pretty damn good and exceeds that of the 6500 boards.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 02:48:08 PM

Face.....meet palm. 

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 02:57:05 PM

Do some more research and you might come across pictures of singles. Yes, they are real and they do over 800MHash/s @80W.
There are also FPGAs that do 920MHash/s @40W. Try searching ztex or enterpoint cairnsmore1
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 03:00:55 PM

I've been reading the mining hardware thread for a couple of hours. Not much talk about the butterflylabs singles but more about the X6500 boards. I cannot find someone that has expereicne with both or would suggest one is better then the other. There are very nice pictures of many rigs out there...makes me want to jump right in, but I'm waiting to get more info. I've also been in touch with the makers of the X6500 boards and is willing to hold 2 of them for me, but refused right now since I want to learn more about the Butterflylabs Single.

StewieMcFluffy

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:34:21 AM

I've been reading the mining hardware thread for a couple of hours. Not much talk about the butterflylabs singles but more about the X6500 boards. I cannot find someone that has expereicne with both or would suggest one is better then the other. There are very nice pictures of many rigs out there...makes me want to jump right in, but I'm waiting to get more info. I've also been in touch with the makers of the X6500 boards and is willing to hold 2 of them for me, but refused right now since I want to learn more about the Butterflylabs Single.

This may answer alot of your questions about the BFL Singles https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60586.0

Butterfly labs current products:
http://www.butterflylabs.com/products/

Also, here is the new line-up of there ASICS that they recently announced that will supposedly be available sometime this October (Highly unlikely)
http://www.btcmu.info/articles/56-butterfly-labs-announces-next-generation-asic-lineup.html

1)    BitForce SC Jalapeno: a USB powered coffee warmer providing 3.5 GH/s, priced at under $149

2)    BitForce SC Single: a standalone unit providing roughly 40 GH/s, priced at $1,299

3)    BitForce SC Mini Rig: a case & rack mount server providing 1 TH/s, priced at $29,899
AxelMi

Activity: 43

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:14:20 AM

Butterfly labs annoncements are alwas nice to read. And it seems that they will bring a lot of power.
But if the bitcoin story is over, no one interessts in the BFC Hardware anymore, With FPGA Hardware you may have the Luck to sell it on the Bay, where somebody can use it for Hobbiest Projects.
chronicaust

Activity: 37

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:59:51 PM

Interesting... have these actually been sent out yet?
tarrant_01

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:08:49 PM

Define "these".....BFL singles? Yep! Lots of them in fact.

1P95gCUCw3Tjb7yyoYtW3ARZZQyTpFgk6H
BCbitcoin

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 09:48:25 PM

Butterfly labs annoncements are alwas nice to read. And it seems that they will bring a lot of power.
But if the bitcoin story is over, no one interessts in the BFC Hardware anymore, With FPGA Hardware you may have the Luck to sell it on the Bay, where somebody can use it for Hobbiest Projects.

More than likely someone will setup a business that extracts the chips for resale. You're probably looking at 40-50 per spartan 6 as a value.
nanook7

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:44:28 PM

More than likely someone will setup a business that extracts the chips for resale. You're probably looking at 40-50 per spartan 6 as a value.

My guess is someone will "re-purpose" the chips to do something even more "fun" than BitCoin.  We shall see...
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 10:54:58 PM

I was told by Butterflylabs they do not stock ANY of their products. The only way to get one of their products ( I'm interested in a single ) is to pay for everything up front then wait 2-3 months for a possible delivery. Yea, that's right....could take up to a quarter of a year to get your product delivered. Are there any other alternatives then this? I'm just looking for a small return...that's all. Could I possibly get 1 or 2 BTC daily with a Butterfly single? I've read lots on other threads, still can't post or respond and a lot of posts are about thermal grease, waterblocks, all the stuff I'm not interested in right now. I'm still at the very beginning stages of seeing if buying a single or two is even worth it. Electricity will not be an issue. So, if you have real life experience with the Butterflylabs single and think it is a good return, please let me know. I thank you very much!

Mike

Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:32:49 AM

I was told by Butterflylabs they do not stock ANY of their products. The only way to get one of their products ( I'm interested in a single ) is to pay for everything up front then wait 2-3 months for a possible delivery. Yea, that's right....could take up to a quarter of a year to get your product delivered. Are there any other alternatives then this? I'm just looking for a small return...that's all. Could I possibly get 1 or 2 BTC daily with a Butterfly single? I've read lots on other threads, still can't post or respond and a lot of posts are about thermal grease, waterblocks, all the stuff I'm not interested in right now. I'm still at the very beginning stages of seeing if buying a single or two is even worth it. Electricity will not be an issue. So, if you have real life experience with the Butterflylabs single and think it is a good return, please let me know. I thank you very much!

Mike

That is true, i kinda worried now.
merve10495

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:47:45 AM

So, if you have real life experience with the Butterflylabs single and think it is a good return, please let me know. I thank you very much!

I've only been part of Bitmining for a few weeks now and have only started getting serious about it in the last week or so however my mate that got me into BitCoin has one of the singles and he is happy with it.
He gets around 800MHash/s off it. Which is pretty good considering it uses next to no power. I personally havn't used it but apparently he thinks it is worth it. [However he doesn't pay for his power so he could use anything and it wouldn't worry him]

btctraderr

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:00:08 PM

FPGA Singles will be useful until the ASIC's hit later this year.
laith5477

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 11:28:25 PM

the only problem with this board it is not easy to get , if order it now you will not get till at least one month or even 6 weeks
fortyniner

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 11:42:31 PM

Generally, merchants must ship within 30 days according to the FTC: http://business.ftc.gov/documents/alt051-selling-internet-prompt-delivery-rules

By law, you must have a reasonable basis for stating that a product can be shipped within a certain time. If your advertising doesn't clearly and prominently state the shipment period, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days.

If you can't ship within the promised time (or within 30 days if you made no promise), you must notify the customer of the delay, provide a revised shipment date and explain his right to cancel and get a full and prompt refund.
blakdawg

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 11:57:18 PM

Right, but if you read the summary of the regulation you quoted, you'll see that the merchant can tell you the shipping period will be longer, and that's what Butterfly Labs is doing.

There's obviously some risk when you pay someone today (especially if you use a transaction medium that doesn't have built in dispute resolution procedures) expecting delivery to occur months in the future, even more so when what you're buying is a brand new product from (apparently) a small company without a lot of history/experience behind them.

On the other hand, if you want the coolest new toy that nobody else has, you may have to put up with risk that others would find unacceptable.

In my mind, it's like buying a Tesla (electric car) - on the one hand, you're gambling that the people you're buying from are (a) honest and (b) competent and (c) capable of dealing with the inevitable setbacks and disappointments that pop up in the development/manufacturing/retail process.

On the other hand, if it works out, you get something that's very hard to buy, and it'll probably be immediately resellable for more than list price, and you get the intangible benefits of being one of the first people to play with something new and special.

And, for BTC, you may get to mine at a very advantageous time, until more of the devices are on the market and the difficulty goes up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: