Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:28:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tails Donation Drive  (Read 1019 times)
Krona Rev (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 10:08:03 AM

I've been using the Tails OS for over a year now and am happy with them. They've been asking for bitcoin donations recently to support the project. I sent them some mbits.

I think Tails is a project far more worthy of bitcoins than, say, Wikipedia.

https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/donate/index.en.html

Before playing with your bitcoins outside, always put on a clean pair of socks.

Code:
-proxy=127.0.0.1:9050

Promechard: Proprietary Metablock Chains for Arbitrary Data: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=411974.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 10:42:11 AM

I've been using the Tails OS for over a year now and am happy with them. They've been asking for bitcoin donations recently to support the project. I sent them some mbits.

Code:

I wouldn't say that Tails is more important than Wikipedia....

Wikipedia is necessary when people want to understand the world....
Tails is necessary when people actually understand the world Wink

They are both equally as necessary Wink

But thank you for posting this Smiley
newflesh

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 11:51:40 AM

Yeah I'm going to send them a few satoshis, it's important to support the good guys who develop projects like Tails / Tor etc. As a non-linux person I was a bit wary using Tails but it's easy as hell to set-up.
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 08:07:45 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2014, 08:39:23 PM by Bitcoins101

Code:

I wouldn't say that Tails is more important than Wikipedia....

Wikipedia is necessary when people want to understand the world....
Tails is necessary when people actually understand the world Wink

They are both equally as necessary Wink

But thank you for posting this Smiley

Wikipedia is a "non-profit" website that puts real businesses out of business. They have effectively cornered the online information market and instead of using advertising-based models (which create revenue from the non-enthusiast users), they ask the enthusiast users (who already contribute countless hours of work maintaining pages) for donations.

A few years ago I ran a very large online forum. All revenue was ad revenue. I disabled all ads for all registered users, because they're already contributing content to the site - you don't need to take their money, too. Instead, I let people who were not contributing by posting (unregistered users) contribute financially by littering the site with advertisements for them.

I strongly feel that this is the correct way to run a business (or even a nonprofit website), rather than ask your very best members to contribute money. Wikipedia should partner with Google's advertising and serve advertisements to all non-contributors. Google already puts them #1 for every search term (which pushes the informational sites on specific topics from real enthusiasts out of business), so it would only be natural.

If you want to donate to a site in that space, I'd recommend archive.org. The primary monetary contributors are going to be the users who utilize the resources they provide the most extensively, so asking for donations seems reasonable in their case.

Tails is okay and probably more worthy than archive.org. However, there are lower-funded privacy and anonymity projects you can contribute to that don't constantly have security holes. Properly configured TBB plus FDE is likely significantly safer than Tails.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 08:20:32 PM

i have sent some BTC

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 09:01:27 PM

Wikipedia is a "non-profit" website that puts real businesses out of business.

And?

Suggests to me they had a really sucky business model.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: