Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:23:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggling to get set up. Help required please  (Read 3140 times)
Jokah (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 09:55:23 PM

Hello,

I'm looking to get into mining but I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I have basicaly followed the instrustions on this guide here http://www.newslobster.com/random/how-to-get-started-using-your-gpu-to-mine-for-bitcoins-on-windows but now I seem to be stuck.

Obviously this guide goes on to use poclbm miner. Instead of poclbm i was going to try the diablominer. I've edited the diablominer-windows.l4j file as follows:

#lauch4j runtime config -Xmx16m -Xms16m -Djava.library.path=target\libs\natives\windows -(my username) -(my password)

Problem is when I start the diablominer-windows.exe file it says :

unrecognized option. (my username)
could not start the java virtual machine

The bitcoin.exe file seems to open and connect fine but the deamon one just opens with a black cmd screen and nothing seems to happen.

Im running an i7 920 system with windows 7 64bit and a gtx 570 (270.61 driver) and have installed java 6. I know nvidias gpu's are not the best for mining but I wanted to see if I could get myself up and running before purchasing a hd 6970.

All this batch file editing is quite new to me but I'm learning as I go.

Any help or advice appreciated.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 09:57:49 PM

Are you using windows? If so, why don't you just use the Windows GUI?

http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=3878.msg55160;topicseen#msg55160

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Jokah (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:44:28 PM

Its funny you say that. After posting this thread I did some more research and found and installed the gui miner.

I'm now stuck with that too. I've followed the instructions on the website but when I try to connect I get the message: problems communicating with bitcoin rpc.

I've opened port 8332 and allowed bitcoin .exe and gui miner through my firewall.

I get the same message when trying to do solo mining or pooled mining.

I've self taught my self everything I know about computers with the power of google but this one has me stumped. Any ideas anyone?
grndzero

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:50:34 PM

Its funny you say that. After posting this thread I did some more research and found and installed the gui miner.

I'm now stuck with that too. I've followed the instructions on the website but when I try to connect I get the message: problems communicating with bitcoin rpc.

I've opened port 8332 and allowed bitcoin .exe and gui miner through my firewall.

I get the same message when trying to do solo mining or pooled mining.

I've self taught my self everything I know about computers with the power of google but this one has me stumped. Any ideas anyone?

You need to port forward 8333 to the computer hosting the bitcoin software.
You don't need to open 8332 for the clients, they run off nat just fine.

What are the settings that you're putting into guiminer to connect to which pool?

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
Jokah (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:57:52 PM

Are you trying to set up for solo or pooled mining? For solo you need to start the bitcoin client as a server.

I've just come back to say I've solved it and found this had been posted! This was the problem. Thank you to everyone anyway for your prompt responses.

Incase anyone reading this has a similar problem. Dont open bitcoin seperately. There is an option in the guiminer under the solo utilities heading to "launch bitcoin client as a server.
grndzero

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:08:29 PM

Are you trying to set up for solo or pooled mining? For solo you need to start the bitcoin client as a server.

I've just come back to say I've solved it and found this had been posted! This was the problem. Thank you to everyone anyway for your prompt responses.

Incase anyone reading this has a similar problem. Dont open bitcoin seperately. There is an option in the guiminer under the solo utilities heading to "launch bitcoin client as a server.

solo will take forever on that card, a pool would be a better option

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
Jokah (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:36:09 PM

Yeh I just wanted to know if I could get it up and running first.

I'm ooking at AMD cards now. I'm looking to sell my GTX 570 twin frozr III and get two 6970's. I've seen two radeon 6970's going for about £220 each brand new just with no box or accessories. Works out a little cheaper than a 6990. Also considering some second hand 5870's instead. I could save my self about £100 but I think I'd rather stump up the cash for some new cards as you never know what abuse second hand ones have taken.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: