Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:19:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to read a press release  (Read 2429 times)
Entropy-uc (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 12:52:41 AM

Let's just see what we can learn by reading...

Butterfly Labs Announces Next Generation ASIC Lineup
PRWebPRWeb – Sat, Jun 16, 2012
Largest SHA256 Hardware Manufacturer Acquires Venture Capital Funding
(PRWEB) June 15, 2012
Butterfly Labs (BF Labs Inc.), a market leader in microprocessor design, is unveiling today the technical specifications for three of its next generation SHA-256 processor based products:

This is great!  Already we have a claim that can be independently verified.  That is gold for the wise reader.  So, market leader in microprocessor design... {googling....}  Intel, Samsung, ARM, AMD, Texas Instruments...  Well maybe they meant specifically for bitcoin.  Nope, AMD...
Well ok, so they talk out of their ass a bit.  Still there's gotta be something here right?

1)    BitForce SC Jalapeno: a USB powered coffee warmer providing 3.5 GH/s, priced at under $149

They have so little confidence in the value of their product, that they pair it with the most useless USB novelty item ever?  Is it April 1st?  

2)    BitForce SC Single: a standalone unit providing roughly 40 GH/s, priced at $1,299
3)    BitForce SC Mini Rig: a case & rack mount server providing 1 TH/s, priced at $29,899

Well the verifiable facts are starting to look thin on the ground here.  Maybe some more will come up later.

It's fascinating that the headline reads ASIC, but nowhere in the text does that term get mentioned.  And neither does the process node these miracle devices will be built on, or the foundry partner that will actually build them.  I wonder if they even have a clue how long it will take to build and debug the silicon.  Then you have to package it, and build a device around it.  Maybe that's why there are no dates here.  I'm sure it won't take long though.  Making semiconductors is easy right?  I probably should build a couple in my garage next weekend.

"Butterfly Labs has always considered itself a serious manufacturer in the SHA-256 hardware industry and our customers are leaders in providing hashing services for some of the world’s great technological challenges,” noted Nasser G, BFL CTO. “We see the BitForce SC lineup as the natural next step in continuing to meet our customer's needs.”

Hi Dad!  I'm a CTO now! Oh yeah, the truncated last name... It's a hip-hop thing, you wouldn't understand.  I'm not ashamed of you Dad! It's my COMPANY.

Because our first and second generation equipment is expected to be outpaced very quickly by the new hardware, customers who have purchased earlier generation products will be able to trade them in at 100% of their value toward the purchase of SC-generation hardware.

Osborne Computer company.  Google it, kids.  A unique way to try to dodge Osborning yourself, but what's in it for the buyers?  Do you get priority just for owning the old junk?  It doesn't say that here.   These things are going to sell like ice cubes in the desert! I wonder what priority a business would give to a trade in versus a full cash buyer?

Venture Capital Funding Acquired, Record Rate of First Quarter Growth

Butterfly Labs, the largest market provider of SHA-256 hardware, is now backed by private venture capital, and looking forward to continuing its operations in what some have recently labeled the “Silicon Prairie” of the Midwest.

Not a word about how much funding they got, or from who.  Usually both those details are trumpeted in releases announcing completion of funding.  Maybe they thought explaining how Inaba and Giga raised a pile of bitcoins for them would just confuse people.

Retail sales have continued to grow strongly, and with exponential month-to-month sales increases, the decision to back BFL was made easily. “Butterfly Labs has strong fundamentals indicative of the kind of rapid growth company we support,” the private equity group notes. “Having made bold investments in new technology, they’re poised to redefine the landscape for SHA-256 hash verification.”

No names for this 'group'.  I wonder if the 'group' was behind a screen with one of those voice scramblers they use on 60 minutes when they gave this quote.   Grin

It's funny too how the reported order queues in this forum don't support the claim of exponential sales increases.

Founded in 2011, Butterfly Labs is a worldwide leader in SHA-256 hardware products. The company offers a range of products and consulting services in semiconductor design.

“Butterfly Labs” and “BitForce SC” are trademarks of Butterfly Labs Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.

Nick W.
BF Labs Inc.

And once again we have someone afraid to give his full name.  I'm proud of the business ventures I'm involved in.  Why would Nick here want to conceal his name?

I can think of a few reasons a person would conceal his name.
 - felony convictions
 - SEC violations
 - previous bankruptcies
 - history of civil lawsuits over business practices
 - registered sex offender status

I wonder what Nick and Nasser's reasons are?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 01:28:36 AM

At least they finally updated their website.

We'll have our ASICs October 2012

davidspitzer

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:21:22 PM

Does anyone have a sense (or guess) or has it been stated which of the new units will likely be shipped first e.g. get priority. In other words, will the ASIC singles be made first or will the focus be the big rig or perhaps the Coffee warmer will get the priority...

any ideas

David
psilan

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 09:00:57 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2012, 12:20:31 PM by psilan

Nasser Gh Moeini
Nick = Zefir K******?

dip
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 10:28:28 PM

Does anyone have a sense (or guess) or has it been stated which of the new units will likely be shipped first e.g. get priority. In other words, will the ASIC singles be made first or will the focus be the big rig or perhaps the Coffee warmer will get the priority...

any ideas

David

They said they would have runs of all 3 lines when they ship. I would expect a delay on the rigs.
davidspitzer

Activity: 630

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:09:55 AM

any ideas

David

They said they would have runs of all 3 lines when they ship. I would expect a delay on the rigs.

That was my thoughts also - I think I might order some of the singles - My gut tells me the big box might be a little harder to get out the door
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 06:48:39 AM

Nasser Gh Moeini
Nick = Zefir K******?
WTF??? You are linking my real name to someone from BFL management?

Two things:
1) It is generally impolite to post other users full name in this searchable forum. I am not seeking anonymity - in fact I gave related links to my investors (see thread in my sig) so anyone knows who I am. Having my full name directly linked to Bitcoin will only cause people to search for my servers and try to break them. Not that I had huge amounts of BTC to steal from me, but the attempts alone could cause DoS and hinder my mining operation. So please be polite, fix your mistake and remove my full name from your post. Thanks.

2) I would be glad to be BFL's CEO, since that would make me insanely rich. If you had read my thread you knew that I in contrary am a poor hobbyist miner living and operating in central Europe whose operation is threatened by BFL's upcoming ASIC products. Would be interested to know how you made the link, though.

psilan

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 12:20:07 PM

I don't even know you. A quick Google served that up in seconds. You made it publicly available via these forums. I was just taking a guess.

You only have to ask, politely as you say.

dip
psilan

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 08:02:01 PM

Also, #2, liar.

dip
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 08:07:19 PM

I don't even know you. A quick Google served that up in seconds. You made it publicly available via these forums. I was just taking a guess.

Also, #2, liar.

Your google is broken. Either that, or maybe you need to learn how to use it properly.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
psilan

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 08:10:59 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2012, 09:07:14 PM by psilan

Also, #2, liar.

Your google is broken. Either that, or maybe you need to learn how to use it properly.

Lying about the 'poor me' part.

edit: I think this name thing can end now right? He asked if I could remove his name and I have. I'm not going to say anything else about his job/research etc because he has asked me not to. Smiley

OT, what would be the reason for these people not to post their names? Shouldn't they be proud of their work? Who would care if they were forum members?
They happily post their pleb worker pictures and names online to try give the company a face.

I like BFL and their products. I wouldn't buy anything else. From a business sense, what is the reasoning behind this? Are they Anonymous?  Shocked Wink

dip
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 09:54:01 PM

Lying about the 'poor me' part.

edit: I think this name thing can end now right? He asked if I could remove his name and I have. I'm not going to say anything else about his job/research etc because he has asked me not to. Smiley
Thanks for removing my full name from your post. However, was it really necessary to call me a liar?

You're new to this forum and I did you a favor pointing you to an unwritten rule for respectful dealings. You fixed one mistake and ran to the next. Too bad Sad

psilan

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 10:06:28 PM

But you aren't poor.

dip
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 11:13:36 PM

But you aren't poor.
So you are, and you're butthurt about it? Get off your ass and do some work and don't be poor then. Don't bitch to us about it.

Free advice: even though it sucks, working at the sanitation department pays big money, compared to most menial burger-flipping jobs.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
psilan

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 12:37:41 AM

But you aren't poor.
So you are, and you're butthurt about it? Get off your ass and do some work and don't be poor then. Don't bitch to us about it.

Free advice: even though it sucks, working at the sanitation department pays big money, compared to most menial burger-flipping jobs.

You are very confused. He said he was poor. He isn't.
Why are you trying to escalate this in to a massive problem? You should probably just mind your own business instead of trying to increase your post count.

I'm certainly not part of the 99% if you want to know anything about my wealth and my family wealth.

dip
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 07:56:08 PM

Maybe they thought explaining how Inaba and Giga raised a pile of bitcoins for them would just confuse people.

This is interesting. What's the story?

At least they finally updated their website.

We'll have our ASICs October 2012

Heh.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: