Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:59:52 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: wtf is ethereum?  (Read 3011 times)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 04:42:28 AM

It is liquid and too complex to be understood  Grin

smalltimer

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 06:46:14 AM

biggest presale selfbuy minersscam in crypto history.
If it ever materialises ...

Right now it's hype based on powerpoint presentations.
Later it will be: too complex to run stable or be safe from exploits ... if it ever is released

My personal best guess: 1 decade developement to even get it to run a stable beta if not given up on it sooner
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 09:18:33 AM

biggest presale selfbuy minersscam in crypto history.
If it ever materialises ...

Right now it's hype based on powerpoint presentations.
Later it will be: too complex to run stable or be safe from exploits ... if it ever is released

My personal best guess: 1 decade developement to even get it to run a stable beta if not given up on it sooner

Seems a little dismissive in comparison to the other responses in here.

I just watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbEtivJIfIU

And am impressed by some things.

It does seem like incentivized decentralisation should be applied to more applications than just currency.

What I would like to see is how easy it is to do this but just by using the bitcoin blockchain rather than making a whole new chain.

Is this what side-chaining is?

Is there a thread on BCT debating ethereum? I am definitely convinced on the ability and sincerity of Vitalik, my reservations about Ethereum are whether or not the technical challenges can all be met.

Decentralised apps may be the future, if they can't work on the bitcoin chain (apart from bitcoin's currency itself) then something like Ethereum becomes inevitable no? (Should it be technically feasible).

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Society doesn't scale.
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 09:31:11 AM

I just realised the link to Gavin's blog answers a lot of my previous questions for me (posted by Melbustus).

I think I have no more questions for now! Thank you everyone.

Society doesn't scale.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 12:08:41 PM

I could not agree more with Melbustus and Gavin's posts about Ethereum.
I simply wonder wether the ability and sincerity of Vitalik outweighs his naiveté ?
Then again my reservation about Ethereum is not about feasibility but about the centralizing effect of Turing-completeness.

If transactions can be designed with infinite (or very long) loops to perform DoS attacks, miners will have to turn to some anti-malware solution like the ones marketed by MacAffe, Norton , etc.
The solution can be worse that the problem with some miners colluding to filter out some transactions on the grounds that they can be "bad" for the network perfomance. The notion of consensus starts to become fuzzy.

rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 12:19:02 PM

For example Etheruem allows to write crowd contracts. No we won't be able to do with sidechainins in bitcoin.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 01:31:18 PM

I simply wonder wether the ability and sincerity of Vitalik outweighs his naiveté ?

You need to be young and naive to attempt these pie-in-the-sky projects. With a little luck on your side you might just succeed. I'd be very impressed if a 20 year old can pull this off.
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 01:45:35 PM

Oh man, this is going to be a lot of fun.
Etherium will probably be pretty powerful, a Turing complete Scrypt can get some amazing things done, but just wait till the bugs start showing up, or hackers begin picking at the Blockchain, injecting values into those blocks to cause havok.

It's serious business when you censor viruses and trojans or malicous programs living on the Blockchain. This thing is starting to look like a strand of DNA with all it's infused codes and integrated viruses and programs. wow.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 11:16:19 PM

It does seem like a technical minefield. Best of luck to him!

Society doesn't scale.
BeetcoinScummer

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 05:58:45 PM

I am not sure what it is. I think you might be able to synthesize it using ethanol and buteric acid.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: